GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leak, must be thermostat housing?

free_guac

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hi folks, my car is at close to 60K and the coolant is leaking bad. Is it 100% a thermostat housing issue? How can I identify it?

I had a replacement like 20K miles before for free at the dealership when they were working on something else.

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Look for staining on the thermostat housing. But the thermostat housing is almost always a slow leak so if yours is leaking bad it sounds like the leak is elsewhere.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I have a.slow leak in my radiator, visible below the airbox. I lose just enough to trigger the light every 5k miles or so.

Inspect has much as you can.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm sure they do. If even say,.10% took a dump before 100k, VWs would be banned from cities due to creating major traffic backups at rush hour.

When I owned a BMW 3, people on forums claimed things like 'they all fail before a 100k' and forum people would proactively replace out of fear. At 165k trade in, mine was fine. Most were.

Squeaky wheels on forums..Echo chambers.

Reactions: WAP

Donkalashnikov

Car(s)
Golf gti

Attachments

• C8B5240C-B534-4D32-B401-487EF1D80AC3.png
    C8B5240C-B534-4D32-B401-487EF1D80AC3.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 310

Donkalashnikov

Car(s)
Golf gti
Can't say for sure. All most always the thermostat housing leak will be a very slow leak and will be discovered by staining on the thermostat housing. How fast is this leaking?

@Donkalashnikov have a mechanic check this out.
I did take it to a mechanic but they dont like messing with vw told me to go to the dealership lol but its leaking close to the turbo i think

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I did take it to a mechanic but they dont like messing with vw told me to go to the dealership lol but its leaking close to the turbo i think
Check the coolant fitting going into the turbo. That would be a bigger leak than the thermostat housing and would leak longer after shutdown.

Donkalashnikov

Car(s)
Golf gti
Can't say for sure. All most always the thermostat housing leak will be a very slow leak and will be discovered by staining on the thermostat housing. How fast is this leaking?

@Donkalashnikov have a mechanic check this out.
Check the coolant fitting going into the turbo. That would be a bigger leak than the thermostat housing and would leak longer after shutdown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 201

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
That seems wet to me.