GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Leak From Failed Adapter (06k 121 143)

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Just ordered the metal version even though I swapped my plastic one about 15k ago. My past mods have pretty much just been replacing plastic parts with metal on this car lol
Link to the metal one?

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
My factory coolant adapter finally gave up this past week. I went through half a the coolant bottle in about 20 miles.

My car has around 60K, almost 5 years old.

Luckily, i'm on extended warranty and had the dealer replace for free.

I'm definitely interested in looking into the EMD billet adapter in the near future to prevent this from happening again.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
To those who have done this or witnessed it being done: Do you lose coolant when replacing the coolant adapter? It ties into the coolant line that goes back to the coolant expansion tank.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport

ru4real

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Had a low coolant warning and a substantial coolant leak at 53k miles.
The leak was dripping directly under the turbo area near the firewall, not anywhere near the front. I was about to tow to a shop, but thankfully, I found this thread, which let me diagnose the leak source and repair effort.
Looked under the engine cover, and saw a ton of residue around the adapter location and all over everything nearby.
Bought a replacement plastic adapter at a dealer. Unfastened the hard coolant line at the left mounting bracket to help get the hose top end off. The original plastic adapter was intact, but the o-ring had split.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 192451.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 192610.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 192650.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 192716.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 192830.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 192851.pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 192917.png

Last edited:

Petgti7

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I just recently had to replace this part. 2016 GTI at about 40,000. I had to have it towed in and they charged me a lot to change it. Now I have driven the car for a few months, I am getting a coolant smell from the car. Temps are all good, they did a pressure leak test, which was good.
Has anyone had this problem of smelling coolant afterwards?
I heard after you mess with any of the cooling systems on a German car you get that smell sometimes. They use a different coolant than most manufacturers.

Help would be great!!

git443

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 e-Golf
I just recently had to replace this part. 2016 GTI at about 40,000. I had to have it towed in and they charged me a lot to change it. Now I have driven the car for a few months, I am getting a coolant smell from the car. Temps are all good, they did a pressure leak test, which was good.
Has anyone had this problem of smelling coolant afterwards?
I heard after you mess with any of the cooling systems on a German car you get that smell sometimes. They use a different coolant than most manufacturers.

Help would be great!!

You shouldn't be smelling coolant after. They probably spilled coolant when changing it and didn't clean up and now it's burning off. What I did when I changed this part on my car was hose down the area around the fitting and the turbo with water. Never had a coolant smell after. Check to see if you are loosing coolant by monitoring your coolant level.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Replaced the adapter when I went stage 3, it lasted 15k miles before coolant smell started in cabin and level gradually decreased.

When I removed the replacement found that everything was intact, but the o ring had maybe expanded a bit, seemed quite loose. Maybe a high temp o ring would do the trick here.

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Had a low coolant warning and a substantial coolant leak at 53k miles.
The leak was dripping directly under the turbo area near the firewall, not anywhere near the front. I was about to tow to a shop, but thankfully, I found this thread, which let me diagnose the leak source and repair effort.
Looked under the engine cover, and saw a ton of residue around the adapter location and all over everything nearby.
Bought a replacement plastic adapter at a dealer. Unfastened the hard coolant line at the left mounting bracket to help get the hose top end off. The original plastic adapter was intact, but the o-ring had split.

View attachment 284749View attachment 284750View attachment 284751View attachment 284752View attachment 284753View attachment 284754View attachment 284755

Dude!!! You missed the portion that broke off the original adapter, can see sitting inside the cavity.

Attachments

• Adapter.JPG
    Adapter.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Adapter2.JPG
    Adapter2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 74

mbmb

Passed Driver's Ed
Dude!!! You missed the portion that broke off the original adapter, can see sitting inside the cavity.
Thank you!

You just solved my problem, "why does my adapter not look like the stock photos, and how do I reinstall it so it seals?"