GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Converting a GTI For German Inspections

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hi Everyone!

Do any of you have experience with converting a US-Spec MK7 GTI (2016) to meet German regulations? I know there are some modifications that need to be done to the headlights and brake lights but was also wondering if anything needs to be done to modify the engine (or other components).

Thanks!

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You can message ZERO815 on here he moved to Germany with his.

Orange rear turn signal with independent brake lights is one.
Driver side rear fog light.
Tires need to have proper EU coding on the side wall.
I believe if the car has LED or Xenon headlight you need to have washers headlights, not sure.
Replace your passenger side glass mirror.

cb1111

Way too much to list here. Any mods needs to be approved and entered into the Kraftfahrzeugbrief (essentially the title).

If you are military, then you only need to pass the safety portion (lights, brakes, emissions, structural etc.)and that inspection is done on-post.

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thanks for all of your replies! It looks like the modifications will have to be fairly extensive (I'm not military).

The best bet might be to bring it to TÜV (regulatory agency) and have them explain what needs to be done to bring the car into compliance and/or bring it to a professional homologation service if that doesn't work out.

Thanks again!

cb1111

It also depends on how long you expect to be there. You can drive for about 6 months on "tourist" plates - essentially the plates you currently have on your car or on "Zoll" (customs) plates. The downside is the cost of insurance.

Quite frankly, it is not even close to economical to ship and convert a 2016. Shipping is at least $2k and the conversions are going to be very expensive - it also depends in which German state you register the car. Some, like Bavaria stick to the rules (and the intent of the rules) more than some other states - quite similar to the states here in the US.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You can message ZERO815 on here he moved to Germany with his.

Orange rear turn signal with independent brake lights is one.
Driver side rear fog light.
Tires need to have proper EU coding on the side wall.
I believe if the car has LED or Xenon headlight you need to have washers headlights, not sure.
Replace your passenger side glass mirror.
Imported my NA 2017 GTI SE to Germany about a year ago. All lights (amber turn signals and rear fog) and tires need to be e-approved. Headlight washers necessary if LP. TÜV Inspection was a piece of cake after retrofit.
The Golf is a pretty popular in Germany. It's a lot cheaper to source needed parts used.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
What about a stage 2 modded golf R? I have coilovers and an exhaust. I still have all my stock parts too. I have headlight washers but no amber turn signals. And I’m moving to Garmisch in December. My wife is out there already she works for the US government on base out there.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
What about a stage 2 modded golf R? I have coilovers and an exhaust. I still have all my stock parts too. I have headlight washers but no amber turn signals. And I’m moving to Garmisch in December. My wife is out there already she works for the US government on base out there.
Any modification will need TÜV, as far as I know a stage 2 is a no-go there unless the downpipe is TÜV approved. The coil overs and exhaust you have will need the certification as well, just like you would need a CARB cert in California.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I‘ve been between the 2 air bases Ramstein and Spangdahlem here in Germany last weekend. Saw quite a few cars on the Autobahn with German plates that have been produced for the US market. None of them had amber turn signals. For base personal there must be an exception to run red turn signals. Don’t know if that counts for coilovers and exhausts too. Your wife might ask around at the base for you.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I‘ve been between the 2 air bases Ramstein and Spangdahlem here in Germany last weekend. Saw quite a few cars on the Autobahn with German plates that have been produced for the US market. None of them had amber turn signals. For base personal there must be an exception to run red turn signals. Don’t know if that counts for coilovers and exhausts too. Your wife might ask around at the base for you.
Next time if you can get closer look at the letter on the license plate. Instead of a D, it will have US if it is a US person based there. I had a GMC Jimmy when I was there dropped 4/5" with a Vortech. As long as you have all the "EPA" and OBD decals on the car you are usually good. But, that was in 2004, so a lot may have changed. They do inspect your car for damage, lights, alignment, and leaks before they let you drive it off the port.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I remember these lookalike German plates. Always thought they got rid of them around 06, and know everyone gets standard German plates. Might be wrong. The plates I saw were BIT, KL and BB.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I remember these lookalike German plates. Always thought they got rid of them around 06, and know everyone gets standard German plates. Might be wrong. The plates I saw were BIT, KL and BB.
All three of these places have US Military bases, so probably they were. I didn't know they changed the plates, had to research the county codes.

• BIT - Bitburg-Prüm, Rhineland Palatinate - Quite a few nearby like Spangdahlem Air Base
  • Kaiserslauten, Rhineland Palatinate - K-Town
  • BB - Böblingen, Baden-Württemberg - Panzer Kaserne
If this website is still legit, the US members should have the seal below on their plates.

1694789460202.png