GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consumables/wear items for track duty

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Tell me what you guys are seeing as far as replacements. Be it transmission fluid/oil change intervals, or if you're noticing ball joints or wheel bearings or something else is failing quicker than would be expected.

So far, besides tires and brakes, the rest of the car seems pretty stout. At stockish boost, cooling system seems fine, oil temps are good enough, etc. I changed the diff/trans fluid last year for good measure.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
The 3 stock drivetrain mounts do not hold up to track driving for very long

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
The 3 stock drivetrain mounts do not hold up to track driving for very long

Cool, I hadn't noticed any ill effects. What are the symptoms of them going bad?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
So I think I may have killed one/more of the mounts today. Got a noticeable "thunk" getting off the gas hard that was somewhat repeatable.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
If you're getting the thunk, your mounts are probably trashed. I didn't have a clunk, but changed my mounts at 20k, since I was having other work done. My engine mount was toast, with about 1-2 in of play I could create with my hands. Jb4 map 1 power with 7 track days on the car.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Bumping this as I’m wondering how often y’all are replacing everything. So far all of the below is after 2k miles, 1 autocross and 3 track days.

Front pads (DS2500): 60%
Rear pads (still OG stock): 80%
Rotors: Plan to replace with pads
280 TW Yokohama’s: 6/10ths and 8/10ths (have replaced two due to punctures)
Motul RBF660: plan to flush after 1 year
Oil: Every 5k/top off as necessary

It looks like I can get about 6/7 track days out of pads/rotors and the same with tires. So about once a year. Pads are $250, rotors $150, tires $800, balances/alignments for the year $300, oil $300, brake fluid $60. Adding in gas to get to and from the track and the day of driving ($80 x number of track days) and track fees (~$300 per event) my average running cost comes out to about ~$725 per day. Not too bad imo.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’ve posted my consumables in my thread. I track only so may be a little different and I now have dedicated track wheels and tires.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Bumping this as I’m wondering how often y’all are replacing everything. So far all of the below is after 2k miles, 1 autocross and 3 track days.

Front pads (DS2500): 60%
Rear pads (still OG stock): 80%
Rotors: Plan to replace with pads
280 TW Yokohama’s: 6/10ths and 8/10ths (have replaced two due to punctures)
Motul RBF660: plan to flush after 1 year
Oil: Every 5k/top off as necessary

It looks like I can get about 6/7 track days out of pads/rotors and the same with tires. So about once a year. Pads are $250, rotors $150, tires $800, balances/alignments for the year $300, oil $300, brake fluid $60. Adding in gas to get to and from the track and the day of driving ($80 x number of track days) and track fees (~$300 per event) my average running cost comes out to about ~$725 per day. Not too bad imo.
The faster you go, the more expensive it gets. My racing pads run 340$, but they grab better than the ds2500 and can hold up to the heat the pp brakes produce. I go through one set of rotors every two weekends due to cracks and pads last just as long. Oe rotors crack the least so 200$ for a pair. I flush fluid every event and between Days, so 60$ every two events as well. Tires recently have lasted ~4 days so they're getting replaced same time as brakes every two weekends. Dsg fluid and diff fluid I change once yearly. Comes out to about 2200$/weekend for in town events.

After a while the gti actually becomes fairly expensive compared to a miata or something similar. I've spent thousands going back and forth on suspension bits, alignments (they now happen after each weekend), and fighting heat issues. I've had 4 suspension setups and over 14 alignments in 3 years.