GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Never ever heard this before. Braided lines will last much longer than rubber which will naturally degrade over time. This degradation is exacerbated due to the rubber constantly expanding under pressure which can also make it susceptible to puncturing.
I, and all of my friends use braided brake lines on our motorbikes. Mine have been fitted for over 10 years and are still perfect. If you're going to the bother buying bigger brakes (because you need them rather than because they look good), the extra feel you get from braided lines is a must.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/news/are-braided-brake-lines-worth-it-everything-you-need-to-know/
On my motorbikes 100% difference in feel.

I had SS lines on my PP GTI and didn't feel a difference in the lines as compared to a motorbike. I will use the car on the track, so definitely will go with SS lines, well once Goodridge gets them to me :)

ktt88

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
So I went about test fitting Q5/macan brake lines on my golf R. Fitment is decent.

The retaining clip on the body side will NOT work, you'll have to zip tie it or come up with some other method of attachment

The clip/retainer on the knuckle can possibly work.

The line is a tiny bit short imo, would be nice to have a extra inch or 2.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm not going to lie, I knew the downsides of SS brake lines, but wanted them anyway. If you track your car, you tend to do far more maintenance on you car, so I don't see it as an issue. Every time I'm swapping wheels or pads I'm looking for wear. That being said, I'll probably just do rubber next time as I feel no different in this car, likely because there is so much computer intervention between you and the brakes. It's amazing how much changing adaption values changed how the brakes feel. I'd guess that's why we don't feel the difference in these cars.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Did my first ever track day Sunday (why did I wait this long?!?). Got five ~ 30 min sessions in and always felt confident stopping before each turn. I’m a track noob but felt in control of braking and could apply some techniques as instructed. My tires were screaming for mercy in later sessions but brakes were consistent. On the downside I started getting a faint shake when applying the brakes hard on the last session. On the drive home, brakes were squealing really bad. Did I botch the bed in process? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

I bought a pair of Powerstop Z26 for the track day and not a track pad. I have the akebono Q5 pads that I was going to swap out for normal use.

Last edited:

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Did my first ever track day Sunday (why did I wait this long?!?). Got five ~ 30 min sessions in and always felt confident stopping before each turn. I’m a track noob but felt in control of braking and could apply some techniques as instructed. My tires we’re screaming for mercy in later sessions but brakes were consistent. On the downside I started getting a faint shake when applying the brakes hard on the last session. On the drive home, brakes were squealing really bad. Did I botch the bed in process? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

I bought a pair of Powerstop Z26 for the track day and not a track pad. I have the akebono Q5 pads that I was going to swap out for normal use.
Track time is fun!

it's possible you used all the of pad during the day. I have been down to the backing during one day.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Definitely, have never driven any car that hard! I had a great time and learned a ton. Can’t wait to do it again. I may be addicted already, lol

Oh didn’t know that. Thanks. I plan to pull wheels off for a cleaning and inspection on the weekend. Will see where pads are at. The Z26 were noticeably thinner than the Akebono pads.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Did my first ever track day Sunday (why did I wait this long?!?). Got five ~ 30 min sessions in and always felt confident stopping before each turn. I’m a track noob but felt in control of braking and could apply some techniques as instructed. My tires were screaming for mercy in later sessions but brakes were consistent. On the downside I started getting a faint shake when applying the brakes hard on the last session. On the drive home, brakes were squealing really bad. Did I botch the bed in process? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

I'd look to see how much pad you have left, z26 are more aggressive street/ autocross. I've got a track day coming up and I'll tell you how the track day pads work.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Just got my calipers in the mail, working through lines now with Chris and will be getting rotors powder coated soon. Thanks to all the work everyone put into this swap, extremely thankful and appreciative.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Just got my calipers in the mail, working through lines now with Chris and will be getting rotors powder coated soon. Thanks to all the work everyone put into this swap, extremely thankful and appreciative.
powder coating your rotors?

I'm sure its a typo XD what colour are you going with?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
powder coating your rotors?

I'm sure its a typo XD what colour are you going with?

Haha, fair. Powder coating the calipers...

Not sure on the color yet, the GTI is Pure White so considering staying with red.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Haha, fair. Powder coating the calipers...

Not sure on the color yet, the GTI is Pure White so considering staying with red.

That's what I did. With silver GTI stickers, you can't tell it didn't come that way from the factory.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I did the OBDEleven hydraulic brake assist changes over the weekend and got a chance to get out and work the brakes pretty good last night. Definitely more linear pedal feel. Should have done this sooner.

And so far, no issues with caliper-wheel clearance--I have 1.5mm space with OZ Leggera 19x8.5 +47.