GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
4. Subjective but any advantages for tracking with this caliper set up compared to stock set up with upgraded pads? I'm an intermediate tracker. Developed most of my skill from playing Gran Turismo as a kid and started tracking last year. Taking it easy and have no plans on doing a stage 1 until later this year or next year as I'm doing handling and braking upgrades first. As well as driver skill upgrade of course.

340mm performance package brakes paired with track pads, race fluid, and RS3 deflectors do pretty well on track.
How did your brakes hold up last year? Any soft or sticking brake pedal? Any pad deposits, smoke, or ?? If not, I would recommend waiting and putting that effort into upgraded front control arm bushings

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Oops my bad. I also experienced brake failure with the smaller 986 Brembos in October. The backing plates ended up bending on a set of Hawk DTC pads ? A broken endlink had taken out the RS3 brake duct the day before yada yada yada I needed more heat capacity ASAP

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I just made the braking module changes via OBDeleven and gonna give it a try tonight on the stock rotors. When I was changing the brake booster module from 4 to 3 via adaptations, I had to use security code 25757 instead of 25001 on my GTI. Gonna take it out for a spin with a friend later tonight.

1. Yes, just fronts.
2. Yes, they'll all fit, but some have cutouts for wear sensors, like the RS3. So if you have an Audi A3 or Golf R with wear sensor and you want to retain it, you'll need to use pads designed specifically for the RS3.
3. Under or Overhand refers to the pads foot print on the rotor. The worry for me is that this setup is really designed to use 345mm rotors and that the pads will extend beyond the outside circumference of the rotors. nono0044 says he isn't having an issue with that with the 340mm rotor, the pads are half a millimeter from the outside circumference of my 345mm rotors. I don't see how that's possible, but it hard to say. If you're upgrading from 312mm, just get 345mm rotors from mk6 R. If you have PP rotors now, it's you're choice, but I sold my entire PP front setup, rotors included, for $450, so I feel pretty good about how inexpensive this turned out for me.
4. Calipers are lighter, rotors 345mm vs 340mm, more choice in pads, easy to swap pads between street and track pads, they're so much easier to modulate than the PP, and they will shed heat faster. They also look sexy, which is good for a full second faster a lap. I swear.

2. For some reason, my GTI has a spot to hold the sensor connector, but there's no sensor line from the car brakes! The whole damn wire is missing! Even went I had nothing left in my front brakes, I never got a low brake pad warning in the car.

My friend tracks his Volvo S60R with us so I think he'll be happy to hear he can run Lancer Evolution X pads. But if his car's rotor size is 305mm, how can he run pads designed for 345mm rotors like the Macan?

3. Think you meant overhang? My GTI has stock 340mm rotors so I'm not too worried about running a caliper designed for 345mm rotors The difference is negligible difference especially since the radius is 2.5mm, meaning there's very little extra rotor surface area out compared to the stock rotors.

4. Wait does this mean if I'm daily driving on EBC YellowStuff? I can pad slap to track pads on track day, and then pad slap it back when I'm done? Cus I wouldn't be changing rotors until they're worn...

340mm performance package brakes paired with track pads, race fluid, and RS3 deflectors do pretty well on track.
How did your brakes hold up last year? Any soft or sticking brake pedal? Any pad deposits, smoke, or ?? If not, I would recommend waiting and putting that effort into upgraded front control arm bushings

Pretty well actually. With the EBC YellowStuff, I think they're a great dual duty pad for someone who is an intermediate driver for track driving. The brake pedal gets softer after a couple warm up laps so I lose a bit of confidence. They never overheated and failed though even after multiple fast laps. Definitely no brake pad deposits. Don't think there was smoke either.

I'm actually planning to get rear sway bar, 17" track rim and tire set up, and better brakes first. I like to carry speed into the corners and I found myself understeering a bit last year. If I get the Macan rotors, I hope they clear Milton wheels.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you aren't fading EBC yellows on track, then you might not be taxing your brakes as much as you think. What tires are you tracking on?

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Just came home from a spin after doing the OBDeleven changes as in the OP. During daily driving, I can't really notice a difference between and after the changes. I think it's a bit better? But really hard to tell with city driving and the once in a blue moon threshold braking.

If you aren't fading EBC yellows on track, then you might not be taxing your brakes aa much as you think. What tires are you tracking on?

Oh there was definitely a bit of fade. But it never got worse where I thought I wouldn't be able to stop. Probably cus I was tracking on Falken FK510. Great tires but definitely not for the track.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Question about dust shields. How would I go about trimming that to fit with this setup? I have the shield for the 312mm brakes. Would I just need to trim some off the edges to accommodate the larger caliper?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just came home from a spin after doing the OBDeleven changes as in the OP. During daily driving, I can't really notice a difference between and after the changes. I think it's a bit better? But really hard to tell with city driving and the once in a blue moon threshold braking.

Oh there was definitely a bit of fade. But it never got worse where I thought I wouldn't be able to stop. Probably cus I was tracking on Falken FK510. Great tires but definitely not for the track.

Stock pads will handle 300tw tires on track with similar fade. Maybe it's just me, but I stopped using EBC pads in the early 2000's. The reds ate rotors on the street and yellows fell apart on track. Maybe they're better today, but I've never bothered with them again.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Question about dust shields. How would I go about trimming that to fit with this setup? I have the shield for the 312mm brakes. Would I just need to trim some off the edges to accommodate the larger caliper?

They need to be trimmed or flattened at the outer edge to accommodate the larger rotor. You can trim more if you're using air deflectors.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Stock pads will handle 300tw tires on track with similar fade. Maybe it's just me, but I stopped using EBC pads in the early 2000's. The reds ate rotors on the street and yellows fell apart on track. Maybe they're better today, but I've never bothered with them again.

so many better options than ebc... literally any other brand is better

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
I just made the braking module changes via OBDeleven and gonna give it a try tonight on the stock rotors. When I was changing the brake booster module from 4 to 3 via adaptations, I had to use security code 25757 instead of 25001 on my GTI. Gonna take it out for a spin with a friend later tonight.

2. For some reason, my GTI has a spot to hold the sensor connector, but there's no sensor line from the car brakes! The whole damn wire is missing! Even went I had nothing left in my front brakes, I never got a low brake pad warning in the car.

My friend tracks his Volvo S60R with us so I think he'll be happy to hear he can run Lancer Evolution X pads. But if his car's rotor size is 305mm, how can he run pads designed for 345mm rotors like the Macan?

3. Think you meant overhang? My GTI has stock 340mm rotors so I'm not too worried about running a caliper designed for 345mm rotors The difference is negligible difference especially since the radius is 2.5mm, meaning there's very little extra rotor surface area out compared to the stock rotors.

4. Wait does this mean if I'm daily driving on EBC YellowStuff? I can pad slap to track pads on track day, and then pad slap it back when I'm done? Cus I wouldn't be changing rotors until they're worn...

Pretty well actually. With the EBC YellowStuff, I think they're a great dual duty pad for someone who is an intermediate driver for track driving. The brake pedal gets softer after a couple warm up laps so I lose a bit of confidence. They never overheated and failed though even after multiple fast laps. Definitely no brake pad deposits. Don't think there was smoke either.

I'm actually planning to get rear sway bar, 17" track rim and tire set up, and better brakes first. I like to carry speed into the corners and I found myself understeering a bit last year. If I get the Macan rotors, I hope they clear Milton wheels.

2. If you're running non-oem pads, then they probably didn't have the sensor in the pad. Do you have a dummy plug in the sensor plug to cancel the pad wear light?

3. he said under OR over to explain both instances. Again, from my personal experience, the pads should not be hanging over the edge of 340mm rotors, but if you are reusing 340mm rotors that have a lip, you will probably have a bad time.

4. uh yeah, you can do that regardless if you do the Macan calipers or not. Not sure what you're asking here.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
If you're talking about the heat shields... metal.

They'd be melted to hell and back if they were made out of plastic.
Yea... probably not my smartest question there...

PP/R dust shields fit fine though? No trimming required?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yea... probably not my smartest question there...

PP/R dust shields fit fine though? No trimming required?

PP/R heat shields fit with 340mm rotor. They will need modification if you use the 345mm. You can probably just take a hammer and hammer the outside edge flat and call it a day. If you're tracking, you might want to remove some of the shield in the area that your air deflectors ( buy either the RS3 or GT3 deflectors) so that air can directly cool the rotors.

Last edited: