GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread

Cptnjosh

Ready to race!
Put the template on my new Hartmanns today. Thankfully, they don’t fit. Just touching the barrels. I was thinking of going this way as I will need brakes within 10k. But now I can just get some pads, rotors, and maybe some stainless lines for my PP. Sparing me the $500 caliper hit, which is not bad but is not pocket change either.

nono0044

Go Kart Newbie
Just tried the template again with 8mm spacing built in. Still doesn't fit the Dekagrams, there must be something off about the template because it definitely did not look like it takes 20mm to clear. Hopefully will borrow a 10mm spacer to try and evaluate from there

MiamiBourne

Ready to race!
ebay

Paint delivered yesterday. Calipers and decals are supposed to be here Friday. I hope to test fit and paint this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing how this looks with the G2 Paint and R decals as I'm thinking the same. Thought I may go with blue paint but then that means I need to also pain the rear to match...decisions, decisions. Lol

jmblur

Go Kart Newbie
Ride
2017 Golf R
Just tried the template again with 8mm spacing built in. Still doesn't fit the Dekagrams, there must be something off about the template because it definitely did not look like it takes 20mm to clear. Hopefully will borrow a 10mm spacer to try and evaluate from there
The a4 also has an additional 3mm hub-rotor center offset iirc. Not much but would make a difference. If somebody takes GOOD measurements I can make a new template.

AxMan

Go Kart Champion
Ride
Golf R
I think one option I could do later on is reverse staggered wheels. OZ has 19x9 et42 Laggeras I could throw on the front and they would give me a lot more room vs spacers. Something to do later though. Just hoping the spacers work.

nono0044

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah...I'm probably letting my OCD take over but your fronts look amazing in that color. Do you have a side pic showing both fronts and rear? I want to check my OCD. :ROFLMAO:
I'll take one tomorrow. Got my windows tinted and it took too long. It's too dark out now

Edit: Not the best lighting, but it's not that bad looking between the fronts and the rear
20200215_200736.jpg

Edit 2: @MiamiBourne took a better picture this morning, really had to boost the brightness
20200216_104434.jpg

Last edited:

nono0044

Go Kart Newbie
Dekagrams fit with 10mm spacers.

Side note, checked my pads and rotors. The STi pads def don't overhang. Like sliver of rotor not covered by the pad, not sure if you can see in the pics
20200216_130019.jpg20200216_130112.jpg

xXDavidCXx

Passed Driver's Ed
The template is meant for a B8 A4. If I remember correctly, has a bore of 66.5mm (which matches the template). Once corrected, I had no issues fitting the template in my 18s. But it didn't clear the wheel spokes (n)
How did you correct the template? I centered on the hub (66.5) and reduced the left and right sides down to 57.1, keeping the same center. Not sure if that's the correct way to compensate.

AmalgamGTI

Ride
2017 GTI Sport
I've compiled some data on popular 4-piston brake swaps (TT-S, Macan/Q5, and B9 A4), and I just wanted to dump this somewhere:

CaliperWeight per nkresho (lbs)Weight per DAP (lbs)
Mk7 non-PP11.70
Mk7 PP/R15.6315.63
Mk3 TT-S9.81

For Macan/Q5 calipers, I've seen numbers ranging from 8.8 to 9.5 lbs, but no one has also weighed the factory calipers for a baseline. I haven't been able to find the weight for B9 A4 calipers yet, but if anybody knows, I'm really curious. I suspect that they’re similar in weight to the other aluminum calipers.

Rotors:
Original ApplicationSize (mm)Weight (lbs)Centric Part Number
Mk7 non-PP312x2518.80125.33098
Mk7 PP/R340x3023.90125.33144
Mk6 R (for Macan/Q5 calipers)345x3027.25125.33112
B8 A4 (for B9 A4 calipers)320x3022.15125.33136

Clubsport S 2-piece rotors (340x30mm) are another option. Part number is 5Q0615301C. Multiple sites have weights for the CSS rotors at 21.61 lbs compared to the OEM 340x30mm rotor at 23.59 lbs.

For PP/R cars, it looks like a weight savings of ~6 lbs for the TT-S swap, ~3 lbs for the Macan/Q5 swap, and probably ~8 lbs for a B9 A4 swap. These are weight savings per corner and don't include weight of pads, lines, or hardware, of course.

Last edited:

AxMan

Go Kart Champion
Ride
Golf R
I need to weight my two piece OE rotors to add to your chart. This should be moved into the first post. Good info 👍🏼