GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Has anyone tried the post bleed procedure to see if it helps? The one where you press the brake and hold while someone opens the bleed screw, then press the brake to the stop and close the screw?
Has to be done on all 4 corners I believe like the standard.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just checked the erwin guide, looks like it has to be done 5x per caliper.. that sounds like I giant pain in the ass.

6.4 Hydraulic System, Post-Bleeding Perform a post-bleeding when: ♦ The brake pedal travel is too long, or the so-called soft brake pedal A second technician is required during the post-bleeding. – Connect the -VAS5234- – Press brake pedal forcefully and hold. – Open bleeder valve at brake caliper. – Press brake pedal down onto stop. – Close bleeder valve with pedal depressed. – Release brake pedal slowly. Note This bleeding procedure must be performed five times per brake caliper.

Then test drive with at least one ABS activation.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just checked the erwin guide, looks like it has to be done 5x per caliper.. that sounds like I giant pain in the ass.

6.4 Hydraulic System, Post-Bleeding Perform a post-bleeding when: ♦ The brake pedal travel is too long, or the so-called soft brake pedal A second technician is required during the post-bleeding. – Connect the -VAS5234- – Press brake pedal forcefully and hold. – Open bleeder valve at brake caliper. – Press brake pedal down onto stop. – Close bleeder valve with pedal depressed. – Release brake pedal slowly. Note This bleeding procedure must be performed five times per brake caliper.

I haven't tried it.

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
So, bad news. Searched RS3 master cylinder and it looks like it's the same as the one on the GTI.

The issue with these brakes is the high retraction, not the MC.
I just researched Macan's brake master cylinder: 95B-612-021-B (replaces 95B-612-021). It's different from VW/Audi part number but not sure whether it's because Porsche uses a different naming convention or this is a genuinely different part. This particular one was/is used by Macan GTS, Macan Turbo, and others that have much larger brake calipers and rotors. If any brake master cylinder is going to help, it's likely to be this one rather than RS3 master cylinder. Having said that, I just read that brake master cylinder may not be the answer so there is that.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

So they're recommending doing the old school brake bleed? Buddy in the car pumping and holding the brakes, you yelling commands from the wheel well and running up front to make sure you don't let the fluid get too low.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So they're recommending doing the old school brake bleed? Buddy in the car pumping and holding the brakes, you yelling commands from the wheel well and running up front to make sure you don't let the fluid get too low.
Yeah, I think you're better off with 30 psi bleed.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's the same part number (5Q1614019ABREP) across most MQB vehicles, including the 8v/8s RS3/TTRS with the 8piston calipers.

Yup... I have one in my garage... bought when I had 6 pots and never installed it, wouldn't work with the brake booster in my Golf (so the shop said, didn't try myself)... definitely not going to install it now that I have 4 pots 😂

I'm even quoting myself here, haha. But yes everything (compact) above a Golf/GSW/A3 uses the same master cylinder. I bought the "fast compact MQB" master cylinder anticipating I would need it for the 17z 6-pot setup I used to run, never installed it. Now with these 4 pots, still haven't installed it.

There are a few other settings regarding physical brake setup in the ABS module, outside of the tweaks mentioned in this thread. One that I have thought about a bit is the brake (rotor) size coding. If we grant the fluid moved is the same in all these cars, from single piston floating to 6 piston fixed, then what would (or could) the brake size coding do? Just set different assistance/boost curves? As a brake system layman (I'm all about the aesthetics), what would that coding do, ideally?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm even quoting myself here, haha. But yes everything (compact) above a Golf/GSW/A3 uses the same master cylinder. I bought the "fast compact MQB" master cylinder anticipating I would need it for the 17z 6-pot setup I used to run, never installed it. Now with these 4 pots, still haven't installed it.

There are a few other settings regarding physical brake setup in the ABS module, outside of the tweaks mentioned in this thread. One that I have thought about a bit is the brake (rotor) size coding. If we grant the fluid moved is the same in all these cars, from single piston floating to 6 piston fixed, then what would (or could) the brake size coding do? Just set different assistance/boost curves? As a brake system layman (I'm all about the aesthetics), what would that coding do, ideally?
That makes sense. You get different torque with nothing but a larger rotor.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Hmmm. I'm really starting to re-think this. I want my brakes to alleviate 'heart drop' moments, not be the cause of them.
I've never experienced this feeling and I've had the brakes for close to a year now. I think a lot of people are failing to bleed their lines properly and/or are reusing old brake fluid.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I've never experienced this feeling and I've had the brakes for close to a year now. I think a lot of people are failing to bleed their lines properly and/or are reusing old brake fluid.

+1

Going on 2 years. My brakes begin biting as soon as I put pressure on the pedal. Maybe it’s the bleeding. Maybe it’s pad choice. Maybe some people are more sensitive to pedal feel than others.

No regrets with this mod.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
After 2 years and several different pads. I'll say the z26 seem to make the pedal feel worse.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What are you using now? Z26 definitely aren't aggressive pads, but at least they are quiet and low dust.

And cheap. Don't forget that part. Like $60 for a set, vs. something like $200 for EBC pads.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What are you using now? Z26 definitely aren't aggressive pads, but at least they are quiet and low dust.
I'm still using them, because cheap and low dust. Lol.

They just seem to have a spongy feel.