GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Hmmm. I'm really starting to re-think this. I want my brakes to alleviate 'heart drop' moments, not be the cause of them.
odds are unless you're used to sports car brake feel, the feel won't be noticeable to the average driver. might be exacerbated on a 1.8 m/c tho.
if you're never gonna see a track, IMO it's not worthwhile messing with aftermarket lines (much less calipers).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hmmm. I'm really starting to re-think this. I want my brakes to alleviate 'heart drop' moments, not be the cause of them.
Personal anecdote... I've made two emergency (ABS) stops in LA traffic that I recall with these and did not feel my heart drop. I've also carried an uncomfortable (for my driver skill level) amount of speed into a corner and panic braked, not a problem. And I'm running them on a Golf which has a smaller master cylinder than the GTI/R (I believe the Alltrack shares MC with these cars and not the regular Golf). I've done the coding changes, no grease or RPV's.

@a$ap stated there may still be air in their lines. If stopping quickly is causing a heart drop moment I would have to agree... re-bleed them lines!

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It wasn't really the pads I was worried about with the Prodigywerks calipers, rather any seals or hardware. At least with the Macan calipers any parts can be sourced locally. I could be wrong as there's over 2500 posts here, but I thought I recalled there even being an AC Delco hardware kit that works with these which means that any number of local GM dealers, or parts houses would have parts available in a pinch

Can the grease be applied when the pistons are flush in the caliper or do the need to be extended? That's the part I'm worried about as scratching or nicking the surface of those can lead to trouble.

I'm getting the Motive Black Label with the aluminum cap

I'd love the Erwin guide. Thank you.

I really considered the 986 calipers and still am but they're almost impossible to find used. I'm also not too keen on needing brackets, which there's only one supplier of. plus once you purchase just the calipers and brackets you've spent more than the entire Macan kit with rotors and pads. Plus I like how the Macan kit fills the wheel.
I believe you'd want the caliper extended, but perhaps someone more experienced would be able to chime in with this kit.

986 isn't too bad. I found a set for 205 shipped, so 490 total with calipers and brackets. Pads and hardware is cheap, cost me another 80 bucks for rebuild kits and pads for both calipers. Just need to see which brake shim we want, the 36/40 piston bar style, or the 36 and 40 piston circular style with one for each piston. My understanding is the Macan Calipers themselves are about 500 bucks shipped, not counting rotors (unless you already have the 340 PP rotors), granted 345 MK6 rotors are about 120ish for a set.

Pm me your Email and I'll send the brake repair portion for the 1.8T over to you. It'll have everything you need including the prebleed, standard bleed, and post bleed instructions if needed.

I wonder if a generic rebuild kit would work on the ProdigyWerks calipers. Think I'll PM the Ebay seller as they tend to be more responsive about them. Trying to pick up a used set of the 4 pot 312mm rotor calipers used from the classifieds if possible.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Stupid question time, tried searching the thread but didn't get any good hits. For the custom brake lines, is it the 16 Audi S3 hardline side even if not coming from a PP GTI? Currently Sportwagen with 312mm rotors and iron knuckles.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
PP might be a better option.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've said it before, the Macan setup is no better on the street than PP and likely no better on track.

The only reason to do this swap is if you want the bling, or like me, you just wanted to be able to swap pads easier for track days and have more options for pads. These pads are the same as used for 4 pot STI and EVO, so there's a lot of good pads made. 001 backing is one of the most common.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
With all the talk of people complaining about spongy brakes.....

Has anyone here done the macan brakes and changed the master cylinder to something like the RS3 master cylinder?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With all the talk of people complaining about spongy brakes.....

Has anyone here done the macan brakes and changed the master cylinder to something like the RS3 master cylinder?
I wonder if it fits. I'd be down to experiment, but wonder if it manual trans would be an issue. They're all DSG, right?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I wonder if it fits. I'd be down to experiment.
It should. I mean...its an MQB lol.

Please do if you're able.

I haven't installed my brakes yet but I'm thinking If your brakes are spongy it's either air in the line or the master cylinder can't keep up. If I bleed well and don't love it then increasing the size of the brake cylinder should do the trick.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It should. I mean...its an MQB lol.

Please do if you're able.

I haven't installed my brakes yet but I'm thinking If your brakes are spongy it's either air in the line or the master cylinder can't keep up. If I bleed well and don't love it then increasing the size of the brake cylinder should do the trick.
With RRG and OBD11 changes, mine felt as good as PP. The feel awful now, I boiled the fluid at Daytona and they feel spongy now. I've just been too busy to work on the car lately.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So, bad news. Searched RS3 master cylinder and it looks like it's the same as the one on the GTI.

The issue with these brakes is the high retraction, not the MC.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
So, bad news. Searched RS3 master cylinder and it looks like it's the same as the one on the GTI.

The issue with these brakes is the high retraction, not the MC.
I literally just came back into this thread to correct myself and post the same thing.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the RS3 cylinder was bigger but obviously not.