GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
Spoke to few entusiast which did prettymuch same conversions all of them had pretty much same problem, the recomendation i get was to change master cilinder from tts, because they come from factory with 4piston brake caliper. Is really different the master cylinder from tts compared to mk7.5r ?

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Just finished my install of these today (definitely not the best weekend for this considering the snow we had Friday…)
Definitely needs a second bleed (using the Motive at 30 psi). There was a little air in the lines that worked it’s way through on the first test drive but I put some more miles on today and didn’t experience the pedal sink again. I got the ABS pump to cycle through so in a day or two I’ll do another bleed to make sure it’s all sorted. As others have said the pedal doesn’t grab as high (I did not use RRG), but the amount of modulation is night and day coming from non-PP brakes. Set up as follows:

Macan Calipers Front
345 mm(F)/272 mm(R) Zimmerman blank
Powerstop Z26
Neuspeed lines
RS3 ducts
RBF600
OBD11 mods
Found a puddle of brake fluid under the right front :(

I found fluid seeping from the flare nut on the hardline to Stainless line connection. Just took it apart and found the bubble flare on the hardline had sheared off. Stupid mistake on my end I guess…

I’m sure it could have been re-flared (there’s a section in the repair manual for this), but I went to the dealer and was able to order the hardline from the abs block to the fender well for $40. Thankfully it’s the shortest line, all other connections seem fine.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Spoke to few entusiast which did prettymuch same conversions all of them had pretty much same problem, the recomendation i get was to change master cilinder from tts, because they come from factory with 4piston brake caliper. Is really different the master cylinder from tts compared to mk7.5r ?
It's the same part number (5Q1614019ABREP) across most MQB vehicles, including the 8v/8s RS3/TTRS with the 8piston calipers.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's the same part number (5Q1614019ABREP) across most MQB vehicles, including the 8v/8s RS3/TTRS with the 8piston calipers.
Yup... I have one in my garage... bought when I had 6 pots and never installed it, wouldn't work with the brake booster in my Golf (so the shop said, didn't try myself)... definitely not going to install it now that I have 4 pots 😂

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yup... I have one in my garage... bought when I had 6 pots and never installed it, wouldn't work with the brake booster in my Golf (so the shop said, didn't try myself)... definitely not going to install it now that I have 4 pots 😂
Did they try it? I can't find anything to indicate it wouldn't work, since VW uses the same P/N for all of the MQB cars (including the base Golfs).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Did they try it? I can't find anything to indicate it wouldn't work, since VW uses the same P/N for all of the MQB cars (including the base Golfs).
I'm not sure they tried it honestly. But... I think back when I was looking into this that base Golfs had one part number while most other (small) MQB vehicles had another, GTI/R/S3/etc.

What I do remember noticing (a couple years later) is that VW seems to have a superseded all of the previous MC numbers with a single part number at some point. But there was something weird, like that single MC part number only worked with certain part number brake boosters... at least according to parts.vw.com. Not always accurate but there it also suggests that a switchover to a common brake booster occured too, maybe in 2016/17? My 2015 Golf had the older booster PN.

I kind of thought of the MC the same way that VW doesn't stock mid/low gateway or body control modules. Doesn't make sense to have them in spare parts inventory when the "best" part can be matched to the specific vehicle via coding and/or adaptation. Same applies to the MC. The MC that is sufficient for the TTRS will of course work in the Golf, but not vice versa.

And unlike electronic modules (where the high has more pins, switches, etc and may cost slightly more) a mechanical part probably costs the same. Would be a good reason to switch to one part across the line.

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
he said he changed master cylinder in the skoda superb which us exactly same as golf R , But im really getting frustrated if anyone is interested in macan brakes willing to sell them for good price driven 200km like brand new i payed for painting 350€. Posting photos, so calippers brembo pads and brembo x discs 345mm from 6r. Everythibg like new. Paint is oem audi baby blue.

Attachments

• A8635605-348C-4D11-B6DF-9A00F6B73806.jpeg
    A8635605-348C-4D11-B6DF-9A00F6B73806.jpeg
    669.5 KB · Views: 160
  • A0C95223-443E-4D2E-8B14-AD8AFCC99A5B.jpeg
    A0C95223-443E-4D2E-8B14-AD8AFCC99A5B.jpeg
    770.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 8FB926AA-3B2D-4DBD-A0E0-B6DFFE912BCA.jpeg
    8FB926AA-3B2D-4DBD-A0E0-B6DFFE912BCA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 170

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
he said he changed master cylinder in the skoda superb which us exactly same as golf R , But im really getting frustrated if anyone is interested in macan brakes willing to sell them for good price driven 200km like brand new i payed for painting 350€. Posting photos, so calippers brembo pads and brembo x discs 345mm from 6r. Everythibg like new. Paint is oem audi baby blue.

Might be easier to go online, get some RRG, do the obd11 settings, and a good bleed, so some hard driving, activating abs, then replied.

These cars are hard to bleed and the calipers are high retraction. The RRG cuts retraction in half. You're going to feel silly when you put your stock brakes back on and can't get them bled right either, because you seem to not want to listen to what people are telling you.

Your car and money, do what you like. Good luck to you, I hope you find a setup you like.

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
Might be easier to go online, get some RRG, do the obd11 settings, and a good bleed, so some hard driving, activating abs, then replied.

These cars are hard to bleed and the calipers are high retraction. The RRG cuts retraction in half. You're going to feel silly when you put your stock brakes back on and can't get them bled right either, because you seem to not want to listen to what people are telling you.

Your car and money, do what you like. Good luck to you, I hope you find a setup you like.
i totally understand the point you are coming from, but as i said i have other car audi a3 8v sallon a putted the stock R brakes on there bleed them in 10minutes the brale feels amazing im really coming to conclusion that the breaks are not working well with that car setup. I could try rrg solution if its gonna work maybe ill try that, i was driving the car really the brakes were cooking abs working all the time each corner and didnt hel i bleed them again still same thing, Also i did the obd changes, and didnt work last hope is the rrg after that im clueless

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
i totally understand the point you are coming from, but as i said i have other car audi a3 8v sallon a putted the stock R brakes on there bleed them in 10minutes the brale feels amazing im really coming to conclusion that the breaks are not working well with that car setup. I could try rrg solution if its gonna work maybe ill try that, i was driving the car really the brakes were cooking abs working all the time each corner and didnt hel i bleed them again still same thing, Also i did the obd changes, and didnt work last hope is the rrg after that im clueless

My PP brakes went into a non-PP GTI and felt amazing. I think the smaller rear piston in the caliper makes a difference.

Anyway, IIRC, you had a shop doing the work. I'd make sure all the step I mentioned were followed before throwing away money, but that's just me.

Many in this thread have gotten these working well, but it's a little finicky to get them dialed in.

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Found a puddle of brake fluid under the right front :(

I found fluid seeping from the flare nut on the hardline to Stainless line connection. Just took it apart and found the bubble flare on the hardline had sheared off. Stupid mistake on my end I guess…

I’m sure it could have been re-flared (there’s a section in the repair manual for this), but I went to the dealer and was able to order the hardline from the abs block to the fender well for $40. Thankfully it’s the shortest line, all other connections seem fine.
Replaced the hardline from the ABS block to the passenger front wheel well today. Now that these are all buttoned up with all the OBD11 tweaks and a second bleed. They feel amazing. There's the slightest amount of pad retraction (no RRG), but you can easily drive around it. Big step up from the 312's in my opinion.

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
Replaced the hardline from the ABS block to the passenger front wheel well today. Now that these are all buttoned up with all the OBD11 tweaks and a second bleed. They feel amazing. There's the slightest amount of pad retraction (no RRG), but you can easily drive around it. Big step up from the 312's in my opinion.
ive done everything with mines when u driving har they feel amazing but on street the softer pedal i do t like, tomorow im gonna switch to stock and will see if the pedal feel is gonna be ok or not if not iwill be bleeding macan brakes again if the stock brakes gonna be good im gonna leave them.

albertitok23

Car(s)
gti clubsport mk7
Yeah, I think it all comes down to hp and tires as far as what works.

I've been happy with my 4 pot Brembo 345mm setup on the street, autocross and track with 200tw tires, stg 1 tune, and RS3 deflectors.
Hello, do you have the 4-piston brembo pp calipers mounted with 345 discs???
I was looking to put that setup on clubsport s 340mm rotors.
Do you know if it would fit with my protrack 8x18 et 45 rims?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hello, do you have the 4-piston brembo pp calipers mounted with 345 discs???
I was looking to put that setup on clubsport s 340mm rotors.
Do you know if it would fit with my protrack 8x18 et 45 rims?

I don't, but there is a template in the first post that should give you a good idea if they'll fit.

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
I had them on 345mm disc. On pretoria which is 8j et50 i had to have 10mm spacer so i dont think they will fit but you can try it also depends on the shape of wheel.