GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
I will tell you why spacers were a no go for me.

At the time did the Brembos I was using Runlites for autocross/ track, which I then needed to use a spacer to get them to fit. Do you know what a pain in the ass it is to swap wheels when your using spacers and hub rings.

I ended up getting two sets the hub centric wheels that fit without spacers, because I didn't want to deal with it.
have you tried this?

https://www.shopdap.com/mn14wh-1.html

I have had issues with my stud conversion. It hurts the first few threads of the hub assembly and when I remove the studs, regular bolts have a hard time getting in.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
have you tried this?

I have had issues with my stud conversion. It hurts the first few threads of the hub assembly and when I remove the studs, regular bolts have a hard time getting in.
Yea I used a bolt hanger previously but I haven't hit issues with my conversion yet and it is a worthy upgrade in my opinion. I haven't removed the studs though so time will tell, using the high-temp blue loctite.

Last edited:

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Any other side profile pics? Looks great so far 😍
This is after 50 laps at Laguna Seca and the wheels are coated with R4 pad dust. OEM suspension, Clubsport S knuckles, A052's 235/40/18, no spacers

1638864534680.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
have you tried this?

I had one, I gave it away too the guy I sold my old wheels to. Don't need it with my properly fitting, hub centric wheels.

Last edited:

Mkv_James

Car(s)
2017 Audi A3 Quattro
Gathering parts for this swap. Deciding on rotors now. Car is a daily, may see track time. But will forsure see alot of hard backroad style driving, like tail of the dragon, and such. Was looking at stoptech 345mm slotted rotors they around $520 for the set, then there's ecs slotted rotors $330 a set. Do you really think there's $200 difference between them? Or a better rotor around the price that has coated/painted hats that won't rust.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Did you use Loctite when you install the studs? If so, you may need to use acetone or similar on the bolt holes to clean out remaining Loctite. It takes a bit of effort to really clean them out.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Gathering parts for this swap. Deciding on rotors now. Car is a daily, may see track time. But will forsure see alot of hard backroad style driving, like tail of the dragon, and such. Was looking at stoptech 345mm slotted rotors they around $520 for the set, then there's ecs slotted rotors $330 a set. Do you really think there's $200 difference between them? Or a better rotor around the price that has coated/painted hats that won't rust.

On the street, go with a set of blanks, unless you just like the looks of the slotted rotors.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
If it is mostly a daily, I wouldn't go past the blank Zimmermans to save about $400, spend the rest on better pads (DS2500s) and fluid (pick your poison). Even hard canyon driving won't get close to the heat generated on track. I'd only suggest slotted either if you want the look or you need more cooling and that comes from the directional veins and not the slots. Slots really don't do anything in modern applications and pads (some use as noted below). Just remember most amateur spec race series use blanks so performance is not the concern with rotors, it is all in the pads assuming cooling is in check for the application.

Zimmerman Blanks 345x30: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-disc-zimmermann-z-coat-1k0615301m

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If it is mostly a daily, I wouldn't go past the blank Zimmermans to save about $400, spend the rest on better pads and fluid. Even hard canyon driving won't get close to the heat generated on track. I'd only suggest slotted either if you want the look or you need more cooling and that comes from the directional veins and not the slots. Slots really don't do anything in modern applications and pads.

Zimmerman Blanks 345x30: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-disc-zimmermann-z-coat-1k0615301m

The slots have a small benefit in wet braking with a cost of noise and faster pad wear. I tried them ONCE on a street car. Not a fan at all.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Yeah, had slotted on my last car and there were no benefits but a lot of downsides. 0/10 would not recommend.
Curious as to what downsides you saw? I've gotten much less grooving with slotted rotors than with the OEM blanks, no pedal pulsing, and pad wear has been reasonable too (less than OEM because of the grooving issues, I think).

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Curious as to what downsides you saw? I've gotten much less grooving with slotted rotors than with the OEM blanks, no pedal pulsing, and pad wear has been reasonable too (less than OEM because of the grooving issues, I think).

I also had slotted rotors on one car. They might look cool, but they were really noisy. Not worth any minor benefit in wet weather braking/looks for the increased noise 🤷‍♂️

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I also had slotted rotors on one car. They might look cool, but they were really noisy. Not worth any minor benefit in wet weather braking/looks for the increased noise 🤷‍♂️
I've had slotted rotors on different cars for the past 10 years and never had a noise issue. YMMV.
That said, if you're a daily driver, blanks are just fine. The only thing I would avoid on track would be drilled.
Bern

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've done slotted twice, noisy both times.

I just think some people aren't sensitive to noises. My wife can have something rattling around in a door pocket in her car and not even notice it, and I'm ready to start disassembling the car to make sure that lip balm never makes another noise ever.