GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Literally created an account to ask this question:

Trying to plan ahead for this upgrade on my alltrack. I've been eyeing up 19x8.5 +48 Audi BBS speedline wheels.

Would these clear or should I start looking for different wheels?
Welcome to the forum.

What size is standard on your Alltrack?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Factory wheel and tire? 17x7 +42 with a 205/55/17

Factory front brake? 312mm

Just curious if the audi speedlines I mentioned would clear the macan calipers.
If your current wheels clear the calipers the speedlines would.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven't done the upgrade yet. I was asking if they would.

Trying to avoid buying wheels twice.
I would certainly think so with that much larger wheel but don't take my word for it the wheel or tire store can verify it for you. I'm not sure because of the offset.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
On an 8.5 width wheel with 48 offset it may clear, it comes down to spoke design there. I think it would clear with a 5mm spacer for sure, and possibly stock. There are several 19x8 ET 47 wheels that clear, OZ Legerra and BBS CO are about that size. 8.5” wheel with same offset would give you a few more MM clearance.

D4dw4g0n

Car(s)
17 golf alltrack
On an 8.5 width wheel with 48 offset it may clear, it comes down to spoke design there. I think it would clear with a 5mm spacer for sure, and possibly stock. There are several 19x8 ET 47 wheels that clear, OZ Legerra and BBS CO are about that size. 8.5” wheel with same offset would give you a few more MM clearance.

See that's where I'm at, it would probably be close.

I would just hate to spend $1200+ on wheels just to toss them when I put Macan brakes on it.

Picture of wheels for reference

speedline.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
See that's where I'm at, it would probably be close.

I would just hate to spend $1200+ on wheels just to toss them when I put Macan brakes on it.

Picture of wheels for reference

View attachment 232123

If you've aren't 100% set on those wheels, then buy a wheel that's known to fit properly. Anytime you so choose a wheel that haven't already been confirmed, you run a risk of it now fitting.

D4dw4g0n

Car(s)
17 golf alltrack
If you've aren't 100% set on those wheels, then buy a wheel that's known to fit properly. Anytime you so choose a wheel that haven't already been confirmed, you run a risk of it now fitting.

Yeah, I may just say the hell with it and just get the wheels and suspension now and worst case, if they dont fit when i get the brakes, I'll switch to a different wheel. Good thing is speedlines aren't hard to resell.

Unless someone here happens to have access to a set and can test fit for me.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Yeah, I may just say the hell with it and just get the wheels and suspension now and worst case, if they dont fit when i get the brakes, I'll switch to a different wheel. Good thing is speedlines aren't hard to resell.

Unless someone here happens to have access to a set and can test fit for me.
Is there a reason throwing a 5mm spacer on in the event they don’t clear is a no go? You could almost certainly have these wheels and the Macan brakes with that spacer if they don’t clear to begin.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I will tell you why spacers were a no go for me.

At the time did the Brembos I was using Runlites for autocross/ track, which I then needed to use a spacer to get them to fit. Do you know what a pain in the ass it is to swap wheels when your using spacers and hub rings.

I ended up getting two sets the hub centric wheels that fit without spacers, because I didn't want to deal with it.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I will tell you why spacers were a no go for me.

At the time did the Brembos I was using Runlites for autocross/ track, which I then needed to use a spacer to get them to fit. Do you know what a pain in the ass it is to swap wheels when your using spacers and hub rings.

I ended up getting two sets the hub centric wheels that fit without spacers, because I didn't want to deal with it.

Stud conversion kit? Assuming you are saying it was just a physical pain to deal with lining all the parts up on swap.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Stud conversion kit? Assuming you are saying it was just a physical pain to deal with lining all the parts up on swap.

Yep, and I swap wheels at least a 3 or 4 times a month.

Haven't done a stud conversion yet, but I do replace the lugs every 2 years.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Yep, and I swap wheels at least a 3 or 4 times a month.

Haven't done a stud conversion yet, but I do replace the lugs every 2 years.
If you need a stud conversion kit, I've got an extra Racingline ball socket and conical socket set unused if you're interested for cheap. I've had them installed for a few track days and been rock solid, probably not as robust as some ARP bolt setup but as long as you thread in the RL aluminum nuts a few turns before drilling them in, no issues at all. Made my life a lot easier between tire swaps. Feel free to PM if you're looking.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you need a stud conversion kit, I've got an extra Racingline ball socket and conical socket set unused if you're interested for cheap. I've had them installed for a few track days and been rock solid, probably not as robust as some ARP bolt setup but as long as you thread in the RL aluminum nuts a few turns before drilling them in, no issues at all. Made my life a lot easier between tire swaps. Feel free to PM if you're looking.

Will do, thanks.