GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Checked dust seals (OEM) last night as part of track prep. Still looking good after 10k miles and 13 or so track days.

8C0BCEA2-9256-46FD-910D-8DBB296D736E.jpeg

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Just posted summary of unsprung brake weights for PP, Macan and Stoptech here
Bern

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Checked dust seals (OEM) last night as part of track prep. Still looking good after 10k miles and 13 or so track days.

Assume you have OEM piston seals also and did you lube up the pistons with RRG? I basically kept my conversion stock just to see how it is and its not bad once I bled it well. Will be taking it to the track so wondering if you did anything else during install.

Also what pads are you (and others) using for track? I got Raybestos ST-43 but would like to know what others are doing. Heard some run Carbotech XP10, others Ferodo DS1.11/DSUNO. Ferodo DS2500 on the PP brakes were great but after 12 days I need something better.

To add to that, rear brake pads are stock or track-specific also?

Last edited:

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Bob, I've never needed to lub Stoptechs. And the kit comes with SS lines. Initial pedal height and firmness with this set is excellent. I'll be heading out to some back roads later today to bed the pads and will let you know more then. And I'll give a report after Laguna Seca this weekend.

Re pads, I have Pagid RS29 Yellow for the front. I currently have some inexpensive Power Stop Z26 in the rear though I don't know how long I'll keep them or what I might use as an alternative.

Bern

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Assume you have OEM piston seals also and did you lube up the pistons with RRG? I basically kept my conversion stock just to see how it is and its not bad once I bled it well. Will be taking it to the track so wondering if you did anything else during install.

Also what pads are you (and others) using for track? I got Raybestos ST-43 but would like to know what others are doing. Heard some run Carbotech XP10, others Ferodo DS1.11/DSUNO. Ferodo DS2500 on the PP brakes were great but after 12 days I need something better.

To add to that, rear brake pads are stock or track-specific also?

I did not use RRG when installing, only did the OBD11 tweaks after bleeding and have been happy with the feel.

I run DS2500 pads year round. I would like to run a more aggressive pad but get free replacements on the pads from FCPEuro so hard to switch.

Rear pads/rotors are still the same ones that came on the car, haven’t touched them.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I did not use RRG when installing, only did the OBD11 tweaks after bleeding and have been happy with the feel.

I run DS2500 pads year round. I would like to run a more aggressive pad but get free replacements on the pads from FCPEuro so hard to switch.

Rear pads/rotors are still the same ones that came on the car, haven’t touched them.

Cool quick follow-up, could you link or send the SKU of the FCPEuro Macan DS2500? I've had a hard time finding the right one since the Macan filter doesn't show it or searching by the 1001 pad shape. Also how many track days do you get on average before swapping out your DS2500s?

Is this the one as FRD-FCP1001H? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-performance-brake-pad-set-ferodo-racing-0034202120 Seems to be the right one but it names a bunch of Mercedes for fitment so wanted to validate that first.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Cool quick follow-up, could you link or send the SKU of the FCPEuro Macan DS2500? I've had a hard time finding the right one since the Macan filter doesn't show it or searching by the 1001 pad shape. Also how many track days do you get on average before swapping out your DS2500s?

Is this the one as FRD-FCP1001H? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-performance-brake-pad-set-ferodo-racing-0034202120 Seems to be the right one but it names a bunch of Mercedes for fitment so wanted to validate that first.
No, this is the one you want:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-performance-brake-pad-set-ferodo-racing-8j0698151k

I get about 8 days per set, however I seem to be fairly easy on brakes compared to others.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Bob, I've never needed to lub Stoptechs. And the kit comes with SS lines. Initial pedal height and firmness with this set is excellent. I'll be heading out to some back roads later today to bed the pads and will let you know more then. And I'll give a report after Laguna Seca this weekend.
Bern
First track day with the Stoptech/R29s and they were superb! Needed much less pedal pressure and pedal remained firm and high throughout the day. Was with a friend in his Cayman S and we noted that after some cool-down in the paddock, his calipers were notably hotter than mine. We'll be at Sonoma this coming Saturday and I'll try to remember to bring my infrared gun to get temps immediately after pitting.
Bern

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Help: in the middle of the install. What torque is needed on the stainless fittings to the caliper, and what torque to mount to the knuckle?

3/4 ugga duggas for brake line. 3 full uggu duggas for carrier bolts.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Help: in the middle of the install. What torque is needed on the stainless fittings to the caliper, and what torque to mount to the knuckle?

OEM calipers to the hub carrier are 200Nm

Brake hose banjo bolt 35Nm

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
For Stoptech caliper installation, the 17mm or 21mm bolts attaching the Stoptech bracket to the steering hub are torqued to 85-90 ft-lb. The small stainless steel nuts are torqued to 30 ft-lbs. Note: the printed instruction sheets that came with my order said 40 ft-lb but the stainless studs/nuts had a tag attached to them saying 30. So I'm using the 30 ft-lb spec.
Bern

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI

Are you talking about the brake lines when you say stainless? Tighten it with a line wrench but you don't have to overdo it, don't torque it down like a banjo bolt. 200nm or ~148ft lb for the two large bolts to the spindle. Easy way to do that is turn the steering wheel all the way to that side so you can get leverage on those bolts without being stuck in the fender well.

1635963405169.png

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Swapped to my winter wheels today. Not sure if the wheel clearance table has been updated lately, but wanted to confirm that the VW Serron wheels (18x7) do clear the calipers with a 10mm spacer. Glad that these fit so I can now put summer tires on my new Apex’s.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Some notes on heat. @Bernb6 and I tracked at Sonoma today. Our cars are setup very very similar and we were running similar times, but he is using Stoptech ST-40 brakes with their two piece rotors and Pagid RSL29 pads. After a session we used a pyrometer to check rotor/caliper temps. Our rear brakes (both stock) were similar, about 320F rotor temp. On the front however, with Macan/DS2500/RS3 duct setup I had 520F rotor temp, whereas he had only 350F. Seems to show what a quality 2-piece rotor setup will do versus blank Zimmermans.