GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes arent the Club Sport ones 2 piece ?

Kind of. They are cast rotors, but they have a process where they cast the rotors in Iron and the hub in aluminum in the same cast, so not actually 2 piece, just 2 different materials. You can't replace the rings when you need new rotors, you replace the entire rotor.

If a street car, not a big deal. Get the CSS rotors. If you plan on tracking frequently, use 345 blanks and just deal with a little extra weight or get real 2 piece rotor.

FWIW, with just a stg 1 tune, you absolutely can't feel the difference in weight from rotors, again because they're so close to the center of rotation.

If you're on stock tune, you will feel the difference if you're pairing them with light wheels.

DjDvr

Car(s)
A3
Kind of. They are cast rotors, but they have a process where they cast the rotors in Iron and the hub in aluminum in the same cast, so not actually 2 piece, just 2 different materials. You can't replace the rings when you need new rotors, you replace the entire rotor.

If a street car, not a big deal. Get the CSS rotors. If you plan on tracking frequently, use 345 blanks and just deal with a little extra weight or get real 2 piece rotor.

FWIW, with just a stg 1 tune, you absolutely can't feel the difference in weight from rotors, again because they're so close to the center of rotation.

If you're on stock tune, you will feel the difference if you're pairing them with light wheels.
Yeah that's how I was seeing it as well. 2 different materials but they lighter due to the alu core. True 2 piece are what I am running now but in 312mm so I guess I can run 340 as the first set and when I save up a bit I can go to 345 2 piece and keep the same weight. Important to me was pedal feel and then rotor weight and I got a lot of info on both things. Big thank you to you and everyone else who commented.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah that's how I was seeing it as well. 2 different materials but they lighter due to the alu core. True 2 piece are what I am running now but in 312mm so I guess I can run 340 as the first set and when I save up a bit I can go to 345 2 piece and keep the same weight. Important to me was pedal feel and then rotor weight and I got a lot of info on both things. Big thank you to you and everyone else who commented.

If you have 312 2 piece now, see if you can just buy 340 or 345 rings for your current aluminum hub piece.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I guess I can run 340 as the first set and when I save up a bit I can go to 345 2 piece and keep the same weight. Important to me was pedal feel and then rotor weight and I got a lot of info on both things.
This is what I did, bought real 2pc 340s and if I want to use the macan calipers I can just buy 345mm rings. The weight difference between 340mm blanks and legit 2pc is very noticeable.

DjDvr

Car(s)
A3
This is what I did, bought real 2pc 340s and if I want to use the macan calipers I can just buy 345mm rings. The weight difference between 340mm blanks and legit 2pc is very noticeable.
sweet , ok will get in contact with Tarox and see with them based on that will most likely buy 345 rings as there is no sens in doing 340 then.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You ballers and your fancy 2 piece rotors. Jk, I'll eventually go that route too, but my wife and I are on a tight budget right now, working to retire at 55. I think 345 rings with your current rotors is the right answer.

DjDvr

Car(s)
A3
You ballers and your fancy 2 piece rotors. Jk, I'll eventually go that route too, but my wife and I are on a tight budget right now, working to retire at 55. I think 345 rings with your current rotors is the right answer.
:) hehe , the missis is also a big fan of "hard" driving so she will appreciate new brakes as well ;) Thank you again for the great info , going for 345 rings once enough is "saved" up as they are ~800 ... so still up there but if I do like to keep the weight down as much as possible and also still fit 17 winter rims. Unfortunately we do not have the luxury or being able to retire at 55 :p so ... :) might as well live a bit more :)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Fastivus was a great test for these calipers. 360 miles round trip; 120 miles on track. My dad also drove my GSW4Mo and our groups ran back to back. The car was essentially on track for 3 50 minute sessions. The only weight we removed from my wagon was the spare tire. With two adults and a full tank of fuel we were ~3600lbs. We ran the R888Rs and Neuspeed RSe05s from my Golf for this event.

Right off the bat let me say these calipers are phenomenal! The OEM Macan shaped EBC YellowStuff used almost every mm of the Mk5/6R rotor surface. We experienced no fade and the brakes were consistent every lap. While I could feel the dead spot in the pedal after long straights, my dad could not. If I tapped the pedal before braking it was perfect. If I didn't the brake application was consistent after the first ~1/4" of travel. I do not believe RPVs are the answer. I do have a GTI/R master cylinder sitting on the shelf so maybe I'll give that a shot. I'm definitely excited to try these with BlueStuff next!

You really need to pair these calipers with 310x22 rears to get the most out of them on track. The extra stability and cooling are essential; especially on longer sessions.
View attachment 227392
Right on...wagon time! The wagons are heavy and larger brakes are key. Dig your 5-spoke wheels. Folks bust on EBC Yellows but I ran them with no drama include tracking it.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Anyone had to install these calipers with shims on the carrier bolts to center the caliper on the rotor? I'm installing mine on the recommended Zimmerman 345mm rotors on my GTI and the caliper is touching the rotor on the outside face without even torquing down the carrier bolts yet that would pull them closer into the rotor. Rotor screw is tightened up and I know it is centered as I installed a stud/nut kit at the same time.

I know other BBKs have shims for centering, I may just get some washers to make sure I don't have any clearance issues out of the gate. Everything else is sitting flush so I was kinda surprised that this is happening. If it matters, I'm using the calipers so the bleed valves face upwards as I see in the pictures in this thread.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone had to install these calipers with shims on the carrier bolts to center the caliper on the rotor? I'm installing mine on the recommended Zimmerman 345mm rotors on my GTI and the caliper is touching the rotor on the outside face without even torquing down the carrier bolts yet that would pull them closer into the rotor. Rotor screw is tightened up and I know it is centered as I installed a stud/nut kit at the same time.

I know other BBKs have shims for centering, I may just get some washers to make sure I don't have any clearance issues out of the gate. Everything else is sitting flush so I was kinda surprised that this is happening. If it matters, I'm using the calipers so the bleed valves face upwards as I see in the pictures in this thread.

I'm not aware of anyone that has required shims.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I'm not aware of anyone that has required shims.

Strange ok, what kind of gap do you have between your caliper and the rotor on the outside face? Assume its 1-2mm but not like paper thin, need to figure out why this is aligning weird.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. My stud/nut setup isn't perfect so just had to give the rotor more push than normal, all seems good now thanks.

Last edited: