GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Based on the EBC Macan pad fitment on 345s; a 340 rotor should work without pad overhang. I'll run the 345s this time, but will likely switch to 340s next time.

Mk5 R32/Mk6R 345mm dust shields will not work unfortunately. I flattened the lip on my 312 shields for now, but will be ordering 340mm PP GTI dust shields.

The hardest part of the install was the retaining pins. I placed a Craftsman 3/8" extension that had a small bevel on the socket end of it against the pin then hit the extension with a hammer to prevent damage to the caliper finish.

Neuspeed brake lines get here Monday or Tuesday then I'll get to try the new setup out!
View attachment 226238
View attachment 226239

Bleed them based on the instructions in the first post. It's the most crucial thing to get stock like feel.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Bleed them based on the instructions in the first post. It's the most crucial thing to get stock like feel.
I get the impression that's a critical error many people made on install. Many of the complaints people had I never experienced and I think that's mainly due to the bleeding process.

StefanV

Not being sarcastic at all. Do the 340. Let us know how you like them.
Several months now with the Prodigywerks FS6 grabbing 340mm Clubsport S 2 piece pseudo-floating rotors and I'm ready to share my thoughts if anyone is still interested how this kit performs.

I will only briefly mention that the kit arrived very nicely packed and it looked like candy :). Inspecting the calipers and you get the sense of a serious sturdy kit. The vented pistons truly mean business, braided lines, pads with insulating shims, pad sitting shims (one gone, 3rd image, I'll replace it). Things that you don't even dream at this price point. There was a small issue with the provided bolt. My car is a Golf 5 GTI and the bolts were very long, specific to MQB platform. This was sorted by using the bolts that the car had (support offered almost in real-time).

Brake feel is good, not as good as my GR Yaris (Endless MX72 Plus pads) or ex-Megane RS275 running fully-floating 355m rotors rubbed by Pagid RSL29, but these are cars that really blew my mind in terms of braking feel. But miles better than stock and better than anything else I experienced except the 2. The pedal is not how firm I would like but it is by no means mushy. The stopping power is immense, you can lean on them really hard.

Now what really impressed me. I recently ran 2 track day events. The track is a GP like course. Long straights (950m), hard braking. I fitted Project Mu Racing999 pads, which are their most aggressive pad. I would not recommend this pad to anyone that is not running big aero and full slicks because they are really grabby. But anyhow ... true racing pads. After 2 days at the track the pad were obliterated. Seeing that the pad turned from the usual Project Mu blue-green tint to literally ashes and after taking the pads out I saw that the friction material crumbled, cracked and chipped I was thinking that the calipers would need a full rebuild. But they were unphased. The temperature reading on the caliper only got to 170C and the dust boots look intact. For sure the vented pistons did their job.
Long story short... for me until I win the lottery and get a Radical SR3 :) I won't consider anything else in the brakes upgrade department. I don't even think if you spend a factor of 2x you wont get such a capable braking system. Honestly after I decided to use the mk5 GTI as a trackday car I was considering swapping the FS6 Prodigywerks kit for a Stoptech or AP Racing kit because I was fearing it is more a showoff kit "6 pistons, BBK, I have big balls" kind :). But after seeing what work horse they are.... I went ahead and ordered Endless CC-Rg pads :).

PS: because the pads pattern is really common, shared with AP Racing cp7040d61 almost all race pads costs way less than what I was used to pay.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.jpeg
    IMG_4021.jpeg
    660.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4022.jpeg
    IMG_4022.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4072.jpeg
    IMG_4072.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 148

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Several months now with the Prodigywerks FS6 grabbing 340mm Clubsport S 2 piece pseudo-floating rotors and I'm ready to share my thoughts if anyone is still interested how this kit performs.

I will only briefly mention that the kit arrived very nicely packed and it looked like candy :). Inspecting the calipers and you get the sense of a serious sturdy kit. The vented pistons truly mean business, braided lines, pads with insulating shims, pad sitting shims (one gone, 3rd image, I'll replace it). Things that you don't even dream at this price point. There was a small issue with the provided bolt. My car is a Golf 5 GTI and the bolts were very long, specific to MQB platform. This was sorted by using the bolts that the car had (support offered almost in real-time).

Brake feel is good, not as good as my GR Yaris (Endless MX72 Plus pads) or ex-Megane RS275 running fully-floating 355m rotors rubbed by Pagid RSL29, but these are cars that really blew my mind in terms of braking feel. But miles better than stock and better than anything else I experienced except the 2. The pedal is not how firm I would like but it is by no means mushy. The stopping power is immense, you can lean on them really hard.

Now what really impressed me. I recently ran 2 track day events. The track is a GP like course. Long straights (950m), hard braking. I fitted Project Mu Racing999 pads, which are their most aggressive pad. I would not recommend this pad to anyone that is not running big aero and full slicks because they are really grabby. But anyhow ... true racing pads. After 2 days at the track the pad were obliterated. Seeing that the pad turned from the usual Project Mu blue-green tint to literally ashes and after taking the pads out I saw that the friction material crumbled, cracked and chipped I was thinking that the calipers would need a full rebuild. But they were unphased. The temperature reading on the caliper only got to 170C and the dust boots look intact. For sure the vented pistons did their job.
Long story short... for me until I win the lottery and get a Radical SR3 :) I won't consider anything else in the brakes upgrade department. I don't even think if you spend a factor of 2x you wont get such a capable braking system. Honestly after I decided to use the mk5 GTI as a trackday car I was considering swapping the FS6 Prodigywerks kit for a Stoptech or AP Racing kit because I was fearing it is more a showoff kit "6 pistons, BBK, I have big balls" kind :). But after seeing what work horse they are.... I went ahead and ordered Endless CC-Rg pads :).

PS: because the pads pattern is really common, shared with AP Racing cp7040d61 almost all race pads costs way less than what I was used to pay.
What does this have to do with the topic of this thread?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I'm confused, thought this thread was about fitting OEM Porsche Macan brakes to our MQB chassis MK7's ??

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
There was prior discussion about the ProdigyWerks FS6 in this thread. The FS6 is the closest competitor to the Macan setup. Both setups are hundreds of dollars cheaper than TTS calipers and over $1000 cheaper than the Neuspeeds. Any first hand experience from someone who has used either setup on this platform is invaluable. (Especially track day experience!)

StefanV's post brought two things to my attention. The FS6 has pad sliders (he calls them sitting shims) and it uses a slightly larger pad than the Macan caliper. Depending on your application these could be must haves!
A6E91DA5-4DBD-4F02-B238-39512CFDE05B.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Thanks for sharing, keep us updated on how they work for you over time. They look like a fantastic option.

Did you do any of the OBD11 adaptions listed in this thread?

StefanV

Thanks @Blade3562
Indeed there was an ongoing discussion a while ago on this same thread about Prodigywerks brake kits. I quoted a post so those who are newer around here can jump easily there.
Next trackday will take place in couple of weeks (15 oct). I'll let you know how it went in conjunction with the Endless CC-rg pads.
The pad sliders (not sitting shims :) as I named them) seem a heavy duty feature that I like.
I hope I'll get in the next period a set of titanium shims to shield even better the caliper from the pad's heat. To put in perspective why I praised so much the vented pistons and how well the calipers did with destroyed pads check what happened to a GR Yaris caliper :|

Attachments

• 238868557_973736189863804_4428076649790922880_n.jpeg
    238868557_973736189863804_4428076649790922880_n.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 110

StefanV

Thanks for sharing, keep us updated on how they work for you over time. They look like a fantastic option.

Did you do any of the OBD11 adaptions listed in this thread?
I did not. I remember now reading about some things you can set on the brakes module but I think these options are only available in the newer MQB platform. I run a mk5 Golf GTI Edition 30 2008. I'll check tomorrow for sure because it happens that a few days ago I go an obdeleven adapter.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just curious, found 95B-615-124-J version which is already painted in red. (https://www.delawareporscheparts.co...per-95b615124j?c=bD0zJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=)

I couldn't find much pics, info, or if it's specific to the GTS/Turbo caliper.

Wondering if it's related to the 95B-615-124F in any way.

Could save some hassle of sending it out to get it powder coated in red.

It looks like the 6 piston version and I think it's for a larger disk, so you'll struggle to find a disk to fit the car.

I was considering this caliper early on, but if have to have a custom 2 piece disk setup created with mk6/7 hat and a 360 x 30 rotor.