GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If the dust seals didn't fit great I can see those not allowing the pistons to retract properly. The Macan calipers are low drag (hence why the pedal can feel squishy) so I'm surprised you're getting drag in the first place.

I drove my brother's R with the stock 340mm single piston calipers and his pedal feels way stiffer than mine but the brakes don't bite as well at all. I vastly prefer my softer pedal feel now (at least on the street) now that I'm used to it.
They fit the piston great, but didn't fit as snug in the caliper as the factory parts so that could be contributing to them not retracting. The seal isn't tugging back on the piston at all if the seal is just floating.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
They fit the piston great, but didn't fit as snug in the caliper as the factory parts so that could be contributing to them not retracting. The seal isn't tugging back on the piston at all if the seal is just floating.

The dust seal shouldn't be pulling back on the piston; that should be done by the square seal inside the piston bore (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If the dust seals didn't fit great I can see those not allowing the pistons to retract properly. The Macan calipers are low drag (hence why the pedal can feel squishy) so I'm surprised you're getting drag in the first place.

I drove my brother's R with the stock 340mm single piston calipers and his pedal feels way stiffer than mine but the brakes don't bite as well at all. I vastly prefer my softer pedal feel now (at least on the street) now that I'm used to it.

I drove an R and my GTI back to back at an autocross this last weekend. Pedal felt identical to me.

I really liked the R. Good thing I didn't drive one before buying the GTI. Lol.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The dust seal shouldn't be pulling back on the piston; that should be done by the square seal inside the piston bore (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying).
No you're good, I'm probably giving the dust seal more credit for piston retraction than it deserves. You had said if it didn't fit well it could be hanging, but the seal is loose in the housing so if anything it's just not doing it's job sealing.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
No you're good, I'm probably giving the dust seal more credit for piston retraction than it deserves. You had said if it didn't fit well it could be hanging, but the seal is loose in the housing so if anything it's just not doing it's job sealing.

I was just thinking if it was hanging it could be getting in the way of the piston retracting properly, but it's just a guess.

I drove an R and my GTI back to back at an autocross this last weekend. Pedal felt identical to me.

I really liked the R. Good thing I didn't drive one before buying the GTI. Lol.

I always forget what the consensus was, but I think I have the even smaller M/C since I have a 1.8? Either way the brakes work the way I want them so I'm happy.

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
So question. I have gone thru like 25+ pages on this thread. I am considering doing this upgrade to my fronts. I have a non PP Gti, so little brakes. However, with upgrading the front, do I need to upgrade the rears to the macan rears? If so… are there listed part#s?

also really stupid question… because im just curious. Could you use front brakes as rears? Idk im just wondering.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So question. I have gone thru like 25+ pages on this thread. I am considering doing this upgrade to my fronts. I have a non PP Gti, so little brakes. However, with upgrading the front, do I need to upgrade the rears to the macan rears? If so… are there listed part#s?

also really stupid question… because im just curious. Could you use front brakes as rears? Idk im just wondering.
No and …I don’t know if anyone’s tried that, but likely no.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

No, no, and not needed. The non-pp rears aren't an issue at all.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Rear brakes have the parking brake integrated, so no you can't put front calipers on the rear.

Aluizio

Ready to race!
After a long time, I had a opportunity to test the Macan Brakes on track. Unfortunatelly the car had DSG problems and just did some laps.
I'm happy with the result so far, but need to test more after solve the DSG issue.
PILOTOS-1-SABADO-MBR-2021-POTENZA-BAIXA-LOGO-9119.JPG
PILOTOS-1-DOMINGO-MBR-2021-POTENZA-BAIXA-LOGO-9117.JPG
PILOTOS-1-SABADO-MBR-2021-POTENZA-BAIXA-LOGO-0391.JPG
DSC08905.jpg

Last edited:

ptaku

Hi MQB Folks

Yesterday I purchased new rimms for my car with new shiny big brake macan brakes and I tried OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 et45. Those rims clears macan calliper with around 2-3mm space from closest calliper side. I own Seat Leon 5F0 but it should be the same for Golf MK7 (MK7,5).

My setup is:
Macan callipers
DBA T3 4000 Discs
EBC Yellow as worth to mention there is no Ferrodo DS2500 for this calliper (there is one from Mitsubishi but do not fit directly - you need to adjust the pad to fit correctly)

View attachment 224866

Apologize for not really good picture, if somebody is interested tomorrow I'm gonna to put tires and fit it to the car. I can make some photos then.

I'm gonna to try this setup next week on track day, for those that would like to try oem brakes on track with around 100mph speed in between the corners I'm sending below picture to warn you...

View attachment 224867

Cheers folks!
Please can you replay on my private message ?

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Ordered a Macan setup for my GSW4Mo via SmithVW. Decided to go with YellowStuff pads since that's what I already have on the rear. Next time around I'll be switching to the re-designed BlueStuff or RP-1/X.

Part Numbers:
Left Caliper: 95B-615-123-F
Right Caliper: 95B-615-124-F
Neuspeed Lines: H.VW.2F.PM7.CLR
Rotors: 1K0615301AR
345 Left Dust Shield: 1K0615311C
345 Right Dust Shield: 1K0615312C
Pads: EBC YellowStuff DP42168R
Fluid: RBF600

EBC now makes a pad specifically for the Macan/Q5. The shape is slightly different from the ATS/CT6 and STI.

Macan
03162371-701C-4A27-98F4-1E518F353A82.jpeg

YellowStuff: DP42168R
GreenStuff: DP22168
Ultimax: DPX2168

STI
7FE89740-7093-4E8B-AC19-BF0D6787FB38.jpeg

RP-1: DP81210RP1
RP-X: DP81210RPX
OrangeStuff: DP91210
BlueStuff: DP51210NDX
YellowStuff: DP41210R