GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
What's the ambient temps where you live?

If temps get into the 60's, I'll get one little squeal on first stop, but that's about it.

The track day compound squeal though.
Temps are around 70-80 where I live. The squeal goes away at high speeds or when I do some hard braking but they haven't disappeared.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Temps are around 70-80 where I live. The squeal goes away at high speeds or when I do some hard braking but they haven't disappeared.

Shouldn't be squealing.

First make sure all retainers and shims are correctly situated

If it doesn't resolve....

Get some steel wool, clean off the rotor surfaces and rebed the pads.

CKCKCK

Car(s)
GTI MK7
Hi MQB Folks

Yesterday I purchased new rimms for my car with new shiny big brake macan brakes and I tried OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 et45. Those rims clears macan calliper with around 2-3mm space from closest calliper side. I own Seat Leon 5F0 but it should be the same for Golf MK7 (MK7,5).

My setup is:
Macan callipers
DBA T3 4000 Discs
EBC Yellow as worth to mention there is no Ferrodo DS2500 for this calliper (there is one from Mitsubishi but do not fit directly - you need to adjust the pad to fit correctly)

View attachment 224866

Apologize for not really good picture, if somebody is interested tomorrow I'm gonna to put tires and fit it to the car. I can make some photos then.

I'm gonna to try this setup next week on track day, for those that would like to try oem brakes on track with around 100mph speed in between the corners I'm sending below picture to warn you...

View attachment 224867

Cheers folks!
Hi Man, what a coincident that I did my fitting this afternoon with the Macan 95B caliper and OZ Ultraleggara 18x8 ET45 as well, and yes, it clears with 2-3 mm space. Will do the installation once the disc arrive. Enjoy!

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I was trying to be extra gentle on the brakes until I had really gotten some miles on them when all of a sudden someone on the freeway decided to cut right in front of me and then slam on the brakes when the person in front of them slowed down. Jesus Christ these brakes are amazing! It felt like I dropped a boat anchor through the floor and I didn't even fully press down the brakes at first. Very happy with the upgrade, definitely a substantial decrease in stopping distance.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was trying to be extra gentle on the brakes until I had really gotten some miles on them when all of a sudden someone on the freeway decided to cut right in front of me and then slam on the brakes when the person in front of them slowed down. Jesus Christ these brakes are amazing! It felt like I dropped a boat anchor through the floor and I didn't even fully press down the brakes at first. Very happy with the upgrade, definitely a substantial decrease in stopping distance.
Did you do the break in process on the pads when you first installed them? That requires several hard braking stops usually from around 60 MPH.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I just did my 2nd track day on the macan brakes last weekend, but I noticed after this track day the brakes started dragging. I had the 2psi residual pressure valve installed, and I uninstalled it today, and the brakes feel just as good as they used to. I'm not sure why this happened, but it's probably something worth sharing.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I just did my 2nd track day on the macan brakes last weekend, but I noticed after this track day the brakes started dragging. I had the 2psi residual pressure valve installed, and I uninstalled it today, and the brakes feel just as good as they used to. I'm not sure why this happened, but it's probably something worth sharing.

That's why most of us decided against them. They are more trouble than they're worth, especially when you can just use RRG on the seals and properly bleed the brakes to get them to feel good.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm hoping that RRG and lubing up pins stops my dragging issue too. My brakes feel great but the driver side is dragging on one little section of the rotor and glazing it pretty badly. That first cold stop of the day is LOUD.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I'm hoping that RRG and lubing up pins stops my dragging issue too. My brakes feel great but the driver side is dragging on one little section of the rotor and glazing it pretty badly. That first cold stop of the day is LOUD.
I think I'm having the same issue. planning on taking everything apart and putting it back together after lubing them up. I have to do a really hard stop or 2 before the squeels go away.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think I'm having the same issue. planning on taking everything apart and putting it back together after lubing them up. I have to do a really hard stop or 2 before the squeels go away.
Sounds like the same thing, I'm so tired of it haha.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do you guys have the RPV's or are you having the issue without them?

If it's without, it sounds like you aren't getting enough pad retraction. Maybe try the factory grease if cleaning doesn't help. Just a thought.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Do you guys have the RPV's or are you having the issue without them?

If it's without, it sounds like you aren't getting enough pad retraction. Maybe try the factory grease if cleaning doesn't help. Just a thought.
No valves. I've got a few track days, pad swaps and many street miles on the calipers and this squeak started about a month ago.

I'm not going to do this scientifically to see what fixes it, but I am going to:
Pack in RRG
Swap back to the original dust seals (I have the RB ones now and they never fit great TBH)
Install new Posi-Quiet pads (105.16630) meant for the Macan
Lube pins/pads with Permatex Silicone lube (24129)

Will report back!

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If the dust seals didn't fit great I can see those not allowing the pistons to retract properly. The Macan calipers are low drag (hence why the pedal can feel squishy) so I'm surprised you're getting drag in the first place.

I drove my brother's R with the stock 340mm single piston calipers and his pedal feels way stiffer than mine but the brakes don't bite as well at all. I vastly prefer my softer pedal feel now (at least on the street) now that I'm used to it.