GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Is it feasible with replace the dust seals without removing the caliper? My thought is remove pads, remove caliper from knuckle, then gently use pry tool/pliers to remove dust seals and insert new ones. Doable? Worries about getting the new dust seals in the correct position (so that it seals properly)

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Best way if you haven't installed them yet is to pop out the pistons with an air compressor and lather the grease on the sides.

Absolutely, but I was an early installer and we hadn't tried RRG at that time. I had to improvise.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is it feasible with replace the dust seals without removing the caliper? My thought is remove pads, remove caliper from knuckle, then gently use pry tool/pliers to remove dust seals and insert new ones. Doable? Worries about getting the new dust seals in the correct position (so that it seals properly)

I think it's doable.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I don't drive my car hard. I don't track it
I don't do autocross. Hell, aside from on ramps with no traffic around, I hardly ever even hit peak boost. Because of that, I don't slam my brakes or press the brake pedal as hard as possible.

Well, today I did, and could feel my pedal very slowly sinking. Which isn't good.

Get home, and can see it immediately. Brake fluid all around my wheel and wheel well. Which means a piston is leaking.

20210804_170250.jpg

Yup.

Take it apart, which I'm getting very good at by this point, and sure enough the inner seal is knicked. Luckily, still have plenty of extras. Put it all back together, bleed them, and they feel good so far. But it was raining, and really didn't have a chance to press them too hard.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So I don't drive my car hard. I don't track it
I don't do autocross. Hell, aside from on ramps with no traffic around, I hardly ever even hit peak boost. Because of that, I don't slam my brakes or press the brake pedal as hard as possible.

Well, today I did, and could feel my pedal very slowly sinking. Which isn't good.

Get home, and can see it immediately. Brake fluid all around my wheel and wheel well. Which means a piston is leaking.

View attachment 221804

Yup.

Take it apart, which I'm getting very good at by this point, and sure enough the inner seal is knicked. Luckily, still have plenty of extras. Put it all back together, bleed them, and they feel good so far. But it was raining, and really didn't have a chance to press them too hard.

You have terrible luck with seals.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You have terrible luck with seals.

Either that, or it's something I'm doing wrong. But there isn't much room to mess anything up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't get it. I've had these on for two months now, and probably a couple thousand miles. Don't know if something changed, or I never applied enough pressure to the pedal to push out fluid. Because I've definitely never had any leaking fluid the last two months.

20210804_202504.jpg

Have the car sitting like this in the garage right now. After getting everything together, took it for a drive and it felt fine. Was raining, so couldn't really tell if it was water or fluid on the wheels. But with them off in the garage, I turned on the car and pressed as hard as I could on the pedal. Harder than I would ever need to while driving. To the point where "How much pressure can the MC take before it blows?" popped into my head. Didn't notice any fluid leaking out of either side, so hopefully fine now.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What brake fluid are you using? Didn’t someone running Castrol SRF have an issue with fluid seeping?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What brake fluid are you using? Didn’t someone running Castrol SRF have an issue with fluid seeping?

Using Pentosin Super Dot4. Since I don't track my car, I didn't use performance oriented fluid.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What rotors are those? They look great.

Stoptech Drilled & Slotted 127.33112. Them looking great is the only reason I spent $320 on rotors lol.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm in it for aesthetics only, went with R1 concepts Geomet rotors, Mk6 R... they were $190 for the pair. Regular price $270 but R1 has somewhat regular 30% off sales.
Front.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm in it for aesthetics only, went with R1 concepts Geomet rotors, Mk6 R... they were $190 for the pair. Regular price $270 but R1 has somewhat regular 30% off sales.
View attachment 221864

My last set (on the stock brakes) was R1, but just the e-Line drilled & slotted. No issues with the braking performance, but wasn't happy with the way they were aging. After a year, even the 'coated' sections were starting to show some rust.

1628185203870.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't be happy with that either, hopefully mine hold up over time. I've had these on for 6, maybe 7 months and they still look new. Car has seen rain at most 5 times, until the last couple months it was rarely driven and it barely rains here. I do go through the car wash once a week though and that hasn't been an issue thus far. Hope it stays that way.