GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
It wasn't a money decision, it was a safety decision. Whatever the shop charges doesn't really matter if you're not confident that your bleed ensures you and anyone else (my wife in my case) can drive safely. The money paid to a shop (if I had ended up using one) would have bought peace of mind. The $50 for the motive would be wasted money if I still ended up going to a shop.

I went from from stock Golf brakes to 6pot Brembo, to 4 pot Brembo... saving money, or even using it wisely, has not been my strength with this car, haha.

I never bleed brakes prior to getting a motive, and I’ve never done the old school 2 person technique.

You can do it. It’s easier than the caliper swap

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
mechanics are skilled but usually not well aligned to our best interest.
It wasn't a money decision, it was a safety decision. Whatever the shop charges doesn't really matter if you're not confident that your bleed ensures you and anyone else (my wife in my case) can drive safely. The money paid to a shop (if I had ended up using one) would have bought peace of mind. The $50 for the motive would be wasted money if I still ended up going to a shop.

I went from from stock Golf brakes to 6pot Brembo, to 4 pot Brembo... saving money, or even using it wisely, has not been my strength with this car, haha.

By the way, how come you went from 6 to 4? What was wrong with 6 pot Brembos?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
mechanics are skilled but usually not well aligned to our best interest.

By the way, how come you went from 6 to 4? What was wrong with 6 pot Brembos?

It's not mechanics' fault but their best interest is to get things done as fast as possible for the most billable hours. I'd rather just do things myself at a slower pace but make sure everything is done right.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Charlotte.:R I had never done any brake work either. I bought the motive, and did the bleeds myself. But I completely understand where @steinfeld is coming from. I don't want to bleed brakes and I do not see myself ever doing it again. Owning the motive does not change that.

@turbojzrr I initially installed 17z's as a "will work this work" kind of deal and I was only upgrading brakes for aesthetic purposes, no track/auto-x in my TDI. No major issues, but I had to run spacers to clear. When I added Whiteline LCA's the added caster caused rubbing, so I wanted to get back to a setup that didn't require spacers. I'm on Neuspeed RSE05's so they're BBK friendly but the 17z's are massive. I realized I prefer comfort more than I need sporty suspension for my random canyon drives so I decided to retrofit DCC. That meant going from steel Golf knuckles with 50mm struts to aluminum GTI knuckles with 55mm struts. The 17z's won't bolt up to the aluminum knuckles so that also meant new brakes. Still wanting large-ish brakes, for looks only, I was looking at PP brakes. But these 4 pots are cheaper and fit under my wheels with no spacer, so no more rubbing. The 4 pots are also a better (though still not good) match for the master cylinder of the Golf as compared to the 6 pots... win/win/win.

Last edited:

steinfeld

Passed Driver's Ed
1623964231132.png

Anyone know if 18x8.5 +47 HRE FF15 would fit?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
  • Will these fit VW OEM 17” Goal Wheels 17x7 ET38
  • If I change only the calipers – do I have to bleed them right away? Thinking of getting a shop to bleed them instead.

No, not without spacers and no, you can't drive the car with pure air in the calipers. You'll die. Don't do it. Bleeding is easy. Bleeding out is not.

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Random question about the Motive Power Bleeder -

I was bleeding my clutch (new clutch install) and rebleeding the brakes last weekend, and while I was able to push a lot of fluid through the clutch, once I tried to open the brake bleeders, no fluid would come out other than a tiny amount at first. I tried all 4 corners and got no fluid coming out, even though the bleeder had fluid and wasn't leaking (was holding ~12 lb just fine). I had my wife pump the clutch pedal and got a shit load of air coming out constantly till we finally got fresh fluid to come out of the transmission bleeder block, and then had her pump the brakes and got fluid to come out of all calipers as expected.

Would there be a reason the Motive bleeder didn't work? Could bleeding the clutch cause some valve or something to close the brakes off since they share the same reservoir? I want to put another bottle through both the clutch and brakes this weekend and it would be nice to use the power bleeder.

Thanks!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Random question about the Motive Power Bleeder -

I was bleeding my clutch (new clutch install) and rebleeding the brakes last weekend, and while I was able to push a lot of fluid through the clutch, once I tried to open the brake bleeders, no fluid would come out other than a tiny amount at first. I tried all 4 corners and got no fluid coming out, even though the bleeder had fluid and wasn't leaking (was holding ~12 lb just fine). I had my wife pump the clutch pedal and got a shit load of air coming out constantly till we finally got fresh fluid to come out of the transmission bleeder block, and then had her pump the brakes and got fluid to come out of all calipers as expected.

Would there be a reason the Motive bleeder didn't work? Could bleeding the clutch cause some valve or something to close the brakes off since they share the same reservoir? I want to put another bottle through both the clutch and brakes this weekend and it would be nice to use the power bleeder.

Thanks!

I honestly don't know, but 12 psi seems low. I bleed at much higher pressure. IIRC, VW recommended 29 psi.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R