GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
go buy a lotto ticket, you're due for some good luck.

I'll take rebuilding my caliper tomorrow, having no leaks, and being happy with the pedal feel. No lottery required 😂

A much more realistic outcome.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll take rebuilding my caliper tomorrow, having no leaks, and being happy with the pedal feel. No lottery required 😂

A much more realistic outcome.

If you're happy with pedal feel tomorrow, that will be like winning the lottery.

Took me several tries.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you're happy with pedal feel tomorrow, that will be like winning the lottery.

Took me several tries.

At least I have enough brake fluid for a few bleeds. Fully prepared to do @emichel6888's RPV's if I have to.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1623171307795.png

Project is finished, and the brakes work great! Pedal feel is perfectly fine. No dead travel, you can feel them start to engage the moment you touch the pedal. Very happy with the results!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Lies. You should have a squishy pedal and need another 10L of brake fluid to bleed through.

I'll probably bleed them a few more times, just to make sure all the RRG that is mixing with the fluid gets flushed out. After I went for a test drive and did some aggressive stops, I was bleeding a little bit of red fluid out.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
And considering I only used 2 of the seals from the two rebuild kits I bought, it means I essentially paid $68 for two rubber o-rings...

Most expensive o-rings in history. But, at least I have extra. I don't even want to think the total of what this swap cost me lol. It has to be north of $1,600 including the back brakes...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And considering I only used 2 of the seals from the two rebuild kits I bought, it means I essentially paid $68 for two rubber o-rings...

Most expensive o-rings in history. But, at least I have extra. I don't even want to think the total of what this swap cost me lol. It has to be north of $1,600 including the back brakes...
Ouch. But I'm glad they're working well for you. 8 liters more flushing to go. :ROFLMAO:

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
View attachment 216093

Project is finished, and the brakes work great! Pedal feel is perfectly fine. No dead travel, you can feel them start to engage the moment you touch the pedal. Very happy with the results!
Did you bleed it with the help of a vibrator / massager?

Seems like the real problem with pedal feel is due to user error / not bleeding properly

Last edited:

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Welp, the last thing I was waiting for finally came in (Red Rubber Grease) and I re-assembled my calipers and sanded down the powder coat overspray and my calipers are finally ready to be installed. Plan on doing it this weekend or the next.

Tip for people re-assembling the calipers: The pistons are actually different. The one with a solid bottom with a raised circle in the middle goes to the side toward the bleeder screw. The piston with the hollow ring on the bottom goes toward the side with line that connects the 2 halves of the caliper. The dark pistons go on the inside of the caliper and the light ones go on the outside. Found this out the hard way and 80% of the time re-assembling my calipers was spent taking the pistons out and figuring out why it wont go down all the way. You also need to leave a bleeder screw open when putting in the final piston.

This frustrating experience taught me that I didn't even need to use an air gun to take the pistons out originally as I had to improvise and use 2 flat heads to get leverage and just pushed out with my thumb. My thumbs got a good workout after tonight cause it was a total bitch. If your calipers are new and you don't care about destroying your boots, this is an alternative if you don't have access to an air gun.

Attachments

• IMG-0338.jpg
    IMG-0338.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG-0339.jpg
    IMG-0339.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG-0341.jpg
    IMG-0341.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG-0343.jpg
    IMG-0343.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Welp, the last thing I was waiting for finally came in (Red Rubber Grease) and I re-assembled my calipers and sanded down the powder coat overspray and my calipers are finally ready to be installed. Plan on doing it this weekend or the next.

Tip for people re-assembling the calipers: The pistons are actually different. The one with a solid bottom with a raised circle in the middle goes to the side toward the bleeder screw. The piston with the hollow ring on the bottom goes toward the side with line that connects the 2 halves of the caliper. Found this out the hard way and 80% of the time re-assembling my calipers was spent taking the pistons out and figuring out why it wont go down all the way. You also need to leave a bleeder screw open when putting in the final piston.

This frustrating experience taught me that I didn't even need to use an air gun to take the pistons out originally as I had to improvise and use 2 flat heads to get leverage and just pushed out with my thumb. My thumbs got a good workout after tonight cause it was a total bitch. If your calipers are new and you don't care about destroying your boots, this is an alternative if you don't have access to an air gun.

It's hard to tell from your pictures due to the lighting, but it doesn't look like you have all the pistons in the right spots. There are two light colored pistons, and two dark colored pistons. They don't mix and match on the side. Your picture looks like a light and a dark one on the same side. The dark ones go on the inside and the light ones go on the outside. Can read more about it in this post, including some math and scientific shit about the difference between them...

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
It's hard to tell from your pictures due to the lighting, but it doesn't look like you have all the pistons in the right spots. There are two light colored pistons, and two dark colored pistons. They don't mix and match on the side. Your picture looks like a light and a dark one on the same side. The dark ones go on the inside and the light ones go on the outside. Can read more about it in this post, including some math and scientific shit about the difference between th
BRB as I go scream