GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So aside from taking it apart and putting it back together again, is there anything I should specifically look for when doing that?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I'm pretty sure I found the culprit...

1623018671490.png

Unless 2 of the inner o-ring seals are supposed to be notched? Not sure how I didn't notice this when installing...

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

View attachment 215989

Unless 2 of the inner o-ring seals are supposed to be notched? Not sure how I didn't notice this when installing...

Those piston seals should not have those cuts in them. That would explain your leaking caliper. They're supposed to retract the piston back when you get off the brakes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Those piston seals should not have those cuts in them. That would explain your leaking caliper. They're supposed to retract the piston back when you get off the brakes.

Yeah, I ordered two full centric rebuild kits to have extra parts. With expedited shipping, should be here on Tuesday.

Tempted to take the other one off and apart to check and make sure it's fine. Even though it wasn't leaking any fluid.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Yeah, I ordered two full centric rebuild kits to have extra parts. With expedited shipping, should be here on Tuesday.

Tempted to take the other one off and apart to check and make sure it's fine. Even though it wasn't leaking any fluid.

Did the shop that powdercoated the calipers remove and install the pistons? They could have ham fisted it back in and pinched the seals.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Did the shop that powdercoated the calipers remove and install the pistons? They could have ham fisted it back in and pinched the seals.
They removed them. I got them back disassembled, greased them with the RRG and put them back together myself. There's a chance I did that, because I feel like I would have noticed that before reinstalling them :(

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3

View attachment 215989

Was super busy over the weekend but saw your posts. Was going to say it was probably the piston seals and glad you got it figured out.. If those are original I'm interested in how they got like that. Dust boots were hard to take off without damaging, but the seals were relatively easy. All my original ones came out perfectly so I ended up not ordering any new ones.
*edit* looking at it, the place might have used pliers or some sort to try and pinch the rubber to pull it out. I don't think you caused that as I can't imagine how you'd create clean cuts like that while putting the seals in.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Was super busy over the weekend but saw your posts. Was going to say it was probably the piston seals and glad you got it figured out.. If those are original I'm interested in how they got like that. Dust boots were hard to take off without damaging, but the seals were relatively easy. All my original ones came out perfectly so I ended up not ordering any new ones.
*edit* looking at it, the place might have used pliers or some sort to try and pinch the rubber to pull it out. I don't think you caused that as I can't imagine how you'd create clean cuts like that while putting the seals in.

In the end it doesn't matter either way, but honestly, I'm leaning on it was something I did during the rebuild. I greased all 8 of the seals, and I would have noticed something like that. It's possible they may have nicked them and the tears just weren't that prominent, but they definitely didn't look like that when I installed them.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
In the end it doesn't matter either way, but honestly, I'm leaning on it was something I did during the rebuild. I greased all 8 of the seals, and I would have noticed something like that. It's possible they may have nicked them and the tears just weren't that prominent, but they definitely didn't look like that when I installed them.

Unless you cocked the fuck out of the pistons while installing them, causing them to tear the seals, I doubt it would have happened while installing.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Unless you cocked the fuck out of the pistons while installing them, causing them to tear the seals, I doubt it would have happened while installing.

Either way, two full rebuild kits will be here tomorrow so I have plenty of spare parts. Can get the caliper back together and back on the car. Rebleed again, and hopefully be good.

Oh. And even though I had relieved the pressure, the power bleeder dumped about 1L of brake fluid on my garage floor lol.

No so crazy for having 10L of fluid ready to now, now am I?!?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Either way, two full rebuild kits will be here tomorrow so I have plenty of spare parts. Can get the caliper back together and back on the car. Rebleed again, and hopefully be good.

Oh. And even though I had relieved the pressure, the power bleeder dumped about 1L of brake fluid on my garage floor lol.

No so crazy for having 10L of fluid ready to now, now am I?!?

If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. Remind me never to go on a cruise with you. 🤣🤣🤣

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. Remind me never to go on a cruise with you. 🤣🤣🤣

:ROFLMAO:

I mean, that wasn't so much luck as it was my own doing. I walked into the garage, saw the puddle, saw the power bleeder, put 1 + 1 together and went "Ah fuck god damn it!" and now I have this permeant souvenir...

1623094460317.png