GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I had also ordered the wrong ones, after it was all said and done with restocking and shipping I got back about half of what I paid
With RB being local I emailed them and they are going to let me exchange them, I believe without any restocking and obviously no shipping.

These kind of things happen but if we're going to recommend parts in the thread lets update that post! (y)

Edit: can confirm the 45mm seals are the ones.

20210330_181704_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With RB being local I emailed them and they are going to let me exchange them, I believe without any restocking and obviously no shipping.

These kind of things happen but if we're going to recommend parts in the thread lets update that post! (y)
It's updated now. It slipped by that the part number recommendation charged. Sorry about that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hadn't updated the thread but my car is now complete. I have @emichel6888 's RPV valve setup, Technafit lines (Front + Rear), StopTech Cryo-treated Slotted (Front + Rear), EBC Reds (Front + Rear), and the three recommended VCDS tweaks.

Very happy with the setup.
👍

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Hadn't updated the thread but my car is now complete. I have @emichel6888 's RPV valve setup, Technafit lines (Front + Rear), StopTech Cryo-treated Slotted (Front + Rear), EBC Reds (Front + Rear), and the three recommended VCDS tweaks.

Very happy with the setup.
Nice, as far as I know you are the first one besides myself that has done all three changes, grease, VCD tweaks, and the RPV's. Did you get the same pedal response I mentioned? Like the pedal dose not drop or go soft at all when you start the engine, it just has a really nice firm, high, linear response brake pedal all the time.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Nice, as far as I know you are the first one besides myself that has done all three changes, grease, VCD tweaks, and the RPV's. Did you get the same pedal response I mentioned? Like the pedal dose not drop or go soft at all when you start the engine, it just has a really nice firm, high, linear response brake pedal all the time.
Yep, while I didn't/haven't taken measurements of where the pedal itself sits like you had, the feel is linear and has stays firm.

1617225763429.png

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
These brakes are awesome. After they were installed the pedal felt odd. The first few inches didn't apply much/any braking which was unnerving. Made the VCDS/OBD11 changes, drove it around more. It started to feel like every other pedal press was normal. By the time I got to the track day the brakes felt normal, and much more linear than the stock R brakes. Did four 20 min sessions on them at Buttonwillow last Friday, CW13 and had a best of 2:09. No brake fade, tons of brake power. The PowerStop track day pads are a dusty mess but they seem to work just fine!

Swapped to the Z26 pads for street us, super easy swap with these calipers. I did notice that not all of my dust seals were staying in place which is a bit concerning. It's possible the RB seals are just a bit undersized, hopefully that doesn't cause problems down the road.

For reference, the wheels I run on the track are:

TSW Bathurst 17x9 ET 50 (w/ 10mm spacers) and I've got good barrel clearance (as long as weights aren't right on the drop center) and clearance on the spokes. I could probably run only a 5mm spacer and still be good there but it'd be close.

20210402_091345.jpg

My Street wheels are Motegi MR147 18x8.5 ET 42 (w/ 5mm spacers) no barrel concerns and spoke clearance is good as well. 5mm spacer isn't needed for the brakes.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anybody else having a hell of a time finding this thread? It doesn't seem to show up in the sub forum and searching Macan doesn't work either.

In any case, these brakes are awesome. After they were installed the pedal felt odd. The first few inches didn't apply much/any braking which was unnerving. Made the VCDS/OBD11 changes, drove it around more. It started to feel like every other pedal press was normal. By the time I got to the track day the brakes felt normal, and much more linear than the stock R brakes. Did four 20 min sessions on them at Buttonwillow last Friday, CW13 and had a best of 2:09. No brake fade, tons of brake power. The PowerStop track day pads are a dusty mess but they seem to work just fine!

Swapped to the Z26 pads for street us, super easy swap with these calipers. I did notice that not all of my dust seals were staying in place which is a bit concerning. It's possible the RB seals are just a bit undersized, hopefully that doesn't cause problems down the road.

For reference, the wheels I run on the track are:

TSW Bathurst 17x9 ET 50 (w/ 10mm spacers) and I've got good barrel clearance (as long as weights aren't right on the drop center) and clearance on the spokes. I could probably run only a 5mm spacer and still be good there but it'd be close.

View attachment 209309

My Street wheels are Motegi MR147 18x8.5 ET 42 (w/ 5mm spacers) no barrel concerns and spoke clearance is good as well. 5mm spacer isn't needed for the brakes.
Glad to hear it.

Yeah, the braking system and this caliper combo seem to hide air and take a concerted effort to get them bled properly, but once you do, it's a inexpensive and effective alternative. Glad you're liking them.

Ditto on the Track Day pad being dusty, but they're a fantastic pad for around $120. Did you change the rear pads, or are they stock? I used the Z23 on the rear, even though I didn't think it would make much difference, but it did. I was a huge believer in leaving stock rear pads until worn out, but doing the rears was worth it. I was getting some nasty understeer under hard braking and just switching rear pads greatly reduced it, no other changes.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm using a cut down GTI shield that only really protects the abs sensor. I like to live dangerously.