GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

pk_mk07

Car(s)
MK7 R, Lexus IS300
Great post OP and team! Very descriptive and helpful.
However, I was wondering if there are any Porsche branded 6 piston drop in replacement options instead of the 4 pistons..
I have read about and seen youtube videos of mk5 and mk6 GTIs installing 6 piston Cayenne calipers without adapters, would that work for the mk7 R as well?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Great post OP and team! Very descriptive and helpful.
However, I was wondering if there are any Porsche branded 6 piston drop in replacement options instead of the 4 pistons..
I have read about and seen youtube videos of mk5 and mk6 GTIs installing 6 piston Cayenne calipers without adapters, would that work for the mk7 R as well?
If you switch to Mk6 (steel) steering knuckles you can bolt on 17z/18z 6 pot brakes (for 17"/18" wheels respectively). I had the 17z's and they are significantly larger than these Macan calipers, physically speaking. Meaning I had to run a 10mm spacer where now I don't run a spacer (on Neuspeed RSE05's which are already BBK friendly). That won't matter if you already run or don't mind running spacers.

The 17z/18z also have more piston area, naturally being 6 pot, and so are even further from ideal for your master cylinder. I didn't mind the brake feel on the 17z's because I don't really do any serious driving but the pedal is definitely better with the Macan calipers (even before the VCDS tweaks in the first post).

For the trouble, if you want/need 6 pots I would go with a BBK designed for your master cylinder and aluminum knuckles instead of replacing them with heavier steel ones just to run 17z/18z's. Another minor annoyance, the 17z/18z calipers (that I've seen) do not have threaded inserts. Instead you have a bolt and nut to hold them to the knuckle. They are kind of a pain to take on/off since you have to get a tool on both sides, instead of just on the inboard of side of the knuckle. I wrench for a living and have the right tools, it was still annoying.

pk_mk07

Car(s)
MK7 R, Lexus IS300
Are there any break pads that fit the Macan calipers and come with a pad wear sensor?
Apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere in this giant 102 pages thread.

pk_mk07

Car(s)
MK7 R, Lexus IS300
If you switch to Mk6 (steel) steering knuckles you can bolt on 17z/18z 6 pot brakes (for 17"/18" wheels respectively). I had the 17z's and they are significantly larger than these Macan calipers, physically speaking. Meaning I had to run a 10mm spacer where now I don't run a spacer (on Neuspeed RSE05's which are already BBK friendly). That won't matter if you already run or don't mind running spacers.

The 17z/18z also have more piston area, naturally being 6 pot, and so are even further from ideal for your master cylinder. I didn't mind the brake feel on the 17z's because I don't really do any serious driving but the pedal is definitely better with the Macan calipers (even before the VCDS tweaks in the first post).

For the trouble, if you want/need 6 pots I would go with a BBK designed for your master cylinder and aluminum knuckles instead of replacing them with heavier steel ones just to run 17z/18z's. Another minor annoyance, the 17z/18z calipers (that I've seen) do not have threaded inserts. Instead you have a bolt and nut to hold them to the knuckle. They are kind of a pain to take on/off since you have to get a tool on both sides, instead of just on the inboard of side of the knuckle. I wrench for a living and have the right tools, it was still annoying.
Thank you for the detailed explanation Cuzoe. Spent some time on this over the weekend and also talked to Rob from Rotorlab (wasn't the best conversation as he was not willing to say anything about the work that needs to be done and wants me to trust him and jump into the rabbit hole....) nevertheless, I decided Macan base caliper swap makes more sense in my case.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are there any break pads that fit the Macan calipers and come with a pad wear sensor?
Apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere in this giant 102 pages thread.
If you need a pad with sensor, buy pad for RS3, buy sensor separately. If you already have the sensor, you may be able to reuse it, just buy a pad listed for RS3.

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I got the 4 e torx bolts removed off of one caliper. They were on there tight! Now to sand and mask off all the holes so I can paint next weekend.

I could probably get away with just painting the outside half of the caliper as the rest will be hidden behind the rotor, but then I would know I half assed it and wouldn't be happy...

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Plan on doing these but torn on if I should powdercoat or paint. I know powdercoat would be better results but I don't want to split them open myself. Does anyone know a shop or person that'd split them and paint them?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Best to check with local car groups to see if they'd recommend a good shop. I'd say if you intend to track with them, go with high temp paint, otherwise up to your powdercoater on how much prep they want. Local shop I talked to just wanted the boots/pistons/seals taken out.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Best to check with local car groups to see if they'd recommend a good shop. I'd say if you intend to track with them, go with high temp paint, otherwise up to your powdercoater on how much prep they want. Local shop I talked to just wanted the boots/pistons/seals taken out.
I do plan on tracking occasionally maybe once or twice a year. I'll ask around local since there seems to be a good VAG crowd in socal.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Plan on doing these but torn on if I should powdercoat or paint. I know powdercoat would be better results but I don't want to split them open myself. Does anyone know a shop or person that'd split them and paint them?

Now that I've finally split mine, any reason you don't want to? It's 4 bolts and removing the crossover line. Didn't take very long.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Now that I've finally split mine, any reason you don't want to? It's 4 bolts and removing the crossover line. Didn't take very long.
Never done it and from what I read I might require special tools to get piston out and might not be perfect in getting them back on. If you say they're easy I might take a crack at it.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Never done it and from what I read I might require special tools to get piston out and might not be perfect in getting them back on. If you say they're easy I might take a crack at it.

I used an air compressor (the cheapest one from Harbor Freight) and some rubber clamps to push the pistons out one by one, then greased them and put them back in by hand and they slid in pretty easily.

pk_mk07

Car(s)
MK7 R, Lexus IS300
If you need a pad with sensor, buy pad for RS3, buy sensor separately. If you already have the sensor, you may be able to reuse it, just buy a pad listed for RS3.
Thank you! I think the 4th post has this info. I am slowly making progress on the discussions lol.

few more questions:
1. Is the rebuild kit necessary if I am not going to track the car? I am under the impression that the calipers will be shipped standard boots and seals, correct me if I am wrong.
2. Could we use the heat shield from base Macan is it a bolt-on? If No are there other bolt-on heat shields options available?
3. Keeping cost aside given a choice between the air duct and heat shield which one do you prefer? and why?

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I used an air compressor (the cheapest one from Harbor Freight) and some rubber clamps to push the pistons out one by one, then greased them and put them back in by hand and they slid in pretty easily.
Nice thanks for the tip. I'll probably end up buying them soon and debate. Heard powdercoating is horrible for heat transfer, but really good in terms of fading and chipping. Painting calipers would be easier and cheaper, but will discolor during tracking. I really want to get my calipers in white so that will suck.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Nice thanks for the tip. I'll probably end up buying them soon and debate. Heard powdercoating is horrible for heat transfer, but really good in terms of fading and chipping. Painting calipers would be easier and cheaper, but will discolor during tracking. I really want to get my calipers in white so that will suck.

I've heard really good things about the POR brake caliper paint so I'm going to try it out. Since they'll be dirty and hidden behind the wheels for the most part I'm not expecting anything perfect, just something to match my rear GTI PP calipers.