GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

B1mmer

Ready to race!
I got the calipers back from the powder coater today. The two stage metallic look less red than I would like, but I think it’ll look good when I get them bolted together and the decals on them:

- AB

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^It's gonna look good man

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I put some music on today and knocked out the red rubber grease in the calipers. It went together pretty easily and I just did one at a time so I knew exactly where each piston went back.

On a side note, does anyone know the torque rating for the 4 e-torx bolts that hold the two halves together? Are they one time use? I'm thinking it might be worth just removing them to paint the calipers so I don't have to try to mask around them.

Overcast

Car(s)
mk7 GLI
After thinking about it some, I’m having the powder coater do these in a different color. If I went to Syracuse University, they’d be great. Ha ha. I decided to go with this: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/UPS-1506/lollypop-red

See the picture of the AMG caliper in the bottom of the listing. - AB
The sample looks great but take a look at the finished product pics. I was looking at that site awhile back and like
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/239/illusion-violet-with-clear-vision-top-coat

Many of their samples are awesome but then the actual finish looks much worse. Also, I wonder how it will stand up to the heat of braking.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
The sample looks great but take a look at the finished product pics. I was looking at that site awhile back and like
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/239/illusion-violet-with-clear-vision-top-coat

Many of their samples are awesome but then the actual finish looks much worse. Also, I wonder how it will stand up to the heat of braking.
Yeah. I talked to the powder coater who uses there powders exclusively and says that this one he’s done on calipers for track cars and it’s held up well. If you look at the pictures for the color I chose, all of the example pictures look great but the krinkle coat wheel finish. The powder coater said that if the base coat used is the suggested aluminum (which he uses for a lot of the brighter colors), it will come out really nice. We’ll see. I’ll post up some pictures when they’re finished. - AB

Overcast

Car(s)
mk7 GLI
Yeah. I talked to the powder coater who uses there powders exclusively and says that this one he’s done on calipers for track cars and it’s held up well. If you look at the pictures for the color I chose, all of the example pictures look great but the krinkle coat wheel finish. The powder coater said that if the base coat used is the suggested aluminum (which he uses for a lot of the brighter colors), it will come out really nice. We’ll see. I’ll post up some pictures when they’re finished. - AB
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics! Yeah, the pics of the wheels were concerning but glad you're not getting that :)

B1mmer

Ready to race!
@B1mmer do you know the torque for the bolts that hold the two halves together and if the bolts are one time use? I see you took yours apart.
I don’t. I haven’t put them back together as they are back at the powder coater. I would not think they are single use bolts. I’m going to just put them together based upon feel using some blue locktite. I remember them taking a decent amount of torque to remove. - AB

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I don’t. I haven’t put them back together as they are back at the powder coater. I would not think they are single use bolts. I’m going to just put them together based upon feel using some blue locktite. I remember them taking a decent amount of torque to remove. - AB
Being made by Brembo and not VW I'd assume they wouldn't be single use bolts but being brakes I'm paranoid lol

B1mmer

Ready to race!
Being made by Brembo and not VW I'd assume they wouldn't be single use bolts but being brakes I'm paranoid lol
I’m with you on that. No one wants much in regards to chance when it comes to brakes. In this case the bolts are only holding the two halves together. There’s no sealing of brake fluid channels or anything like that, so I’ll get them nice and snug without over torquing them hopefully and the loctite will keep them there. I do wish I knew the spec, but knowing how I am, I will check them as part of my on “nut and bolt” routine prior to and during any track event. - AB

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’m with you on that. No one wants much in regards to chance when it comes to brakes. In this case the bolts are only holding the two halves together. There’s no sealing of brake fluid channels or anything like that, so I’ll get them nice and snug without over torquing them hopefully and the loctite will keep them there. I do wish I knew the spec, but knowing how I am, I will check them as part of my on “nut and bolt” routine prior to and during any track event. - AB
1.5 ugga diggas is what you want.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Yeah, I noticed there was no fluids that pass between the two halves internally, hence why I was thinking about pulling them apart. I'd be way less willing to split the calipers if I had to re seal them as well.

I think I'll just do what you're going to do and use some blue loctite and snug them up and double check them once in a while. Thanks!