GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

soon.jpg

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Yay, they fit! Unfortunately the lug holes are tiny so I couldn't put my lug nuts on, and Tire Rack gave me lug bolts (going to call them and ask if I can exchange for nuts). All the pics are with me awkwardly pressing the wheel flat to the hub.

Barrel fitment is pretty close, but more than the Hypergrams, and spoke clearance is huge, even with 0 spacer.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
You may want to double check that the wheel weights will clear the caliper. Hold the wheel in place and rotate it. I only mention it as your caliper to wheel clearance looks very similar to my TT-S/17" wheel set up and on one wheel that had numerous weights in a row, like your wheel does, they were smacking the caliper when in motion. On wheels with only 2-3 weights I had no issues. Something about a large row of weights did something with the curvature enough that it was a problem.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'll have to double check again, but the wheel weights were closer to the edge of the wheel (near the base of the spokes), and the caliper isn't quite as thick there, so I think it will clear.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Crap, just realized I didn't get the brake bleeder caps back from the powdercoater.

Anyone know a part number I could buy some from? They're probably long gone now

*edit* Found some Brembo ones on eBay for $15 shipped, not worth the hassle of tracking them down.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Today I drove a friend's 19 Rabbit Edition with the stock PP brakes. With the red rubber grease and bleeding in the VW order, then going back and doing 29psi simultaneously bleeding the fronts, mine felt about the same.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Today I drove a friend's 19 Rabbit Edition with the stock PP brakes. With the red rubber grease and bleeding in the VW order, then going back and doing 29psi simultaneously bleeding the fronts, mine felt about the same.
I am not surprised, if you look at my post doing the RPV's alone only gave a slight improvement. It wasn't until I greased the seals with the RPV's installed that I got a big improvement where now the pedal does not go soft with the engine running. It is about keeping the MC in stage 1, doing both is what gets you there. Doing each separately provides only a slight improvement, sorry I thought I made that clear, but perhaps not.

Once the MC piston travels past a certain point it goes to stage 2 and drastically changes the MC/caliper displacement ratio. See below, that is what causes the pedal to soften, see image below. The lube or the RPV alone reduce the gap between the pad and rotor which helps a little but the MC still moves into stage 2, it is when you do both and you reduce the pad/rotor gap even further that prevents the MC from moving into stage 2 and you get a much firmer and higher pedal with significantly better feel. You have to use more muscle but in a good way for threshold braking. Make sense?

Brake pedal theory.jpg

If you recall when I had the RPV's at the MC it felt awesome but I was getting drag at the rear, then I put the RPV's in the wheel well and it helped but I was not exactly thrilled after feeling what it was like with the RPV's at the MC. Then when I greased the seals with the RPV's that is when it gave the results I was looking for, not quite as good as having the RPV's at the MC but still a huge improvement where the pedal does not go soft with the engine vacuum assist on.
I showed you all pedal measurements, but that is only half the story, I can't really demonstrate the improved feel, but I am telling you...

If you look at my test data the grease and the RPV's separately each give similar reduction in piston retraction. Do both then tell me what you think.

Post reference: Post #6 How to fix/improve low soft Brake pedal with Residual Pressure Valves and seal lube

2020-12-06 14_54_39-How to fix_improve low soft Brake pedal with Residual Pressure Valves and ...jpg

.0005" doesn't seem like much but trust me...

As for the stock single piston caliper I found very similar results:
2020-12-06 15_01_59-How to fix_improve stock caliper.jpg

I am fairly certain you will get the same results with the stock calipers. The main difference with the stock calipers is they have no piston coating, which is why the OEM requires seal lube. Out of curiosity I tested them with no lube just brake fluid on the seal and the retraction jumped to .024" you definitely don't want that, I bet the pedal would almost be to the floor.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I am not surprised, if you look at my post doing the RPV's alone only gave a slight improvement. It wasn't until I greased the seals with the RPV's installed that I got a big improvement where now the pedal does not go soft with the engine running. It is about keeping the MC in stage 1, doing both is what gets you there. Doing each separately provides only a slight improvement, sorry I thought I made that clear, but perhaps not.

Once the MC piston travels past a certain point it goes to stage 2 and drastically changes the MC/caliper displacement ratio. See below, that is what causes the pedal to soften, see image below. The lube or the RPV alone reduce the gap between the pad and rotor which helps a little but the MC still moves into stage 2, it is when you do both and you reduce the pad/rotor gap even further that prevents the MC from moving into stage 2 and you get a much firmer and higher pedal with significantly better feel. You have to use more muscle but in a good way for threshold braking. Make sense?

View attachment 195236

If you recall when I had the RPV's at the MC it felt awesome but I was getting drag at the rear, then I put the RPV's in the wheel well and it helped but I was not exactly thrilled after feeling what it was like with the RPV's at the MC. Then when I greased the seals with the RPV's that is when it gave the results I was looking for, not quite as good as having the RPV's at the MC but still a huge improvement where the pedal does not go soft with the engine vacuum assist on.
I showed you all pedal measurements, but that is only half the story, I can't really demonstrate the improved feel, but I am telling you...

If you look at my test data the grease and the RPV's separately each give similar reduction in piston retraction. Do both then tell me what you think.

Post reference: Post #6 How to fix/improve low soft Brake pedal with Residual Pressure Valves and seal lube

View attachment 195231
.0005" doesn't seem like much but trust me...

As for the stock single piston caliper I found very similar results:
View attachment 195232
I am fairly certain you will get the same results with the stock calipers. The main difference with the stock calipers is they have no piston coating, which is why the OEM requires seal lube. Out of curiosity I tested them with no lube just brake fluid on the seal and the retraction jumped to .024" you definitely don't want that, I bet the pedal would almost be to the floor.

I'm happy with a good bleed and the red rubber gease, my modding philosophy is always keep it simple as possible, so I think I'm done.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I'm happy with a good bleed and the red rubber gease, my modding philosophy is always keep it simple as possible, so I think I'm done.

IMO adding an inline valve is about as simple as modifications get, but suit yourself.

I only responded because your comment seemed to imply that lubing the seals alone would make a big difference, and you just discovered that it did not. I just wanted it understood, that is not what my posts say, and to make it clear for those that do want to significantly improve brake pedal feel and response, they have to do both steps.
IMO properly greasing the piston seals is actually a lot more work (if they are already installed), if that is already done adding the inline RPV's is a very simple modification. Given all the time, effort, and money already put into these brake modifications, to not do these relatively cheap and simple adjustments just seems a shame to me, but if you are happy as is, to each there own.

Cheers