GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I'm no expert, but from what I know, brake fluid leaking from anywhere even if the brakes are hot is not 'a normal occurnace'

On track I saw some brake fluid coming out of the bleeder screws when hot. Seems like a normal occurrence when brake fluid gets trapped in the rubber.

Assuming you had what I had, it was a little disconcerning. It was a little "tide mark" of where some fluid had seeped out and then evaporated. From looking around online, it seems that's fairly normal. It's the fluid in the bleeder screw, or around the rubber boot. I had some at my last event at RA, and I'll be watching on Wednesday when I go back out to AMP.

Be careful not to over-torque those bleeder screws. They don't take much.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Assuming you had what I had, it was a little disconcerning. It was a little "tide mark" of where some fluid had seeped out and then evaporated. From looking around online, it seems that's fairly normal. It's the fluid in the bleeder screw, or around the rubber boot. I had some at my last event at RA, and I'll be watching on Wednesday when I go back out to AMP.

If this recurs, something is wrong. Right after bleeding there will be some free fluid outside the sealed caliper, but it shouldn't keep happening well after a bleed.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I'll update the second post once fitment has been confirmed.

Curious to know what alternatives (if any) exist for dust shields. I'm not opposed to flattening the OEM parts currently on my R, but would almost prefer to buy replacements and include my OEM parts with the sale of the stock setup. Thanks!
RS3 dust shields...using 370mm rotors
I'm using 345mm MK6 rotors.

Here are the RS3 ventilated dust shields for the 370mm front brakes:
8V0615311B
8V0615312A

Shields should bolt right up, does anyone have a photo? Are they too large for 17 inch wheels?
Either way I suspect there will be considerable overhang past the edge of a 345mm rotor.

Is there a reason you couldn't just get MK6 R dust shields?

Good question, I would imagine the knuckles are slightly different but the mounting holes could be similar.
I think you'd be better off trimming your stock ones or picking up a set off a base Golf.
Just flatten or trim and keep your OEM setup completely separate would work.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not sure why you'd get thise over a $50 set from Yperion. Are you really getting that much more with them being 1mm thick?
F*ck those are expensive. If anybody has spare brake pads they can put on a scanner I can get a quote for some custom cut ones. .035" (.89mm) tends to be easier to source.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hey, I was tweaking abs adaptions with OBD11 today, and since going to a conrom map, I've had to switch to an older map to get obd11 to work. I'd heard that VCDS had been fixed to work with conrom, but not obd11. Well, looks like they finally fixed it. I was able to connect and make adjustments with a conrom map installed.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
F*ck those are expensive. If anybody has spare brake pads they can put on a scanner I can get a quote for some custom cut ones. .035" (.89mm) tends to be easier to source.

I drew them up in CAD and sent it to a local fabricator. .030 seemed to be easier to source. You never did reply to earlier post about the contact resistance being the primary thermal barrier for a < 1mm shim.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I drew them up in CAD and sent it to a local fabricator. .030 seemed to be easier to source. You never did reply to earlier post about the contact resistance being the primary thermal barrier for a < 1mm shim.

I couldn't find thermal conductivity data for any of the brake greases. Without that, can't run any numbers. The easier approach here would probably be to try them and throw some (calibrated) thermocouples on them, but I don't feel like draping all that wiring around my daily driver!

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I couldn't find thermal conductivity data for any of the brake greases. Without that, can't run any numbers. The easier approach here would probably be to try them and throw some (calibrated) thermocouples on them, but I don't feel like draping all that wiring around my daily driver!

I'm comfortable leaving that little bit of extra performance on the table. Between the upgraded dust boots, shims, and getting potentially better ducting, I should be ok.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

I did tighten the outer ones a little more, hoping not to overdo it as I was far from home, and it didn't happen again. I'm assuming like a lot of the corvette racers that I saw post on line with the same issue on these brakes, that the fluid trapped in the rubber boiled over and that's what we saw. I don't think it should be a recurring event though. Maybe once on track after the bleed .

Also, my "high-temp" brembo stickers are now brown :(

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
These are the Stoptech Sport Pads after a track day. They were basically brand new and very little street mileage. They worked well once warmed up, didn't have much fade but was having issues with the car kicking in Traction Control, so that probably contributed to what I deem the excess wear

50083041191_528ec9b8ee_c.jpg