GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Previous setup - PP brakes, DS2500 fronts, RBF600, RS3 ducts, and actual 2" vents from the bumper to the RS3 ducts. Always got fade half way through a session.
New setup - Macan fronts, Golf R rotors, Raybestos ST-41s, same ducting setup, and the enhancements to the brake controller via OBDEleven. Zero fade. Lots of confidence, and it'll dance a bit if you're not dead straight when you get into the brakes.

Are yo saying that the rear was light and lively? That could mean that the brake bias is now out of sync and the rears need 'upgrading' a little too.
[/QUOTE]

I think it's because of the OBDEleven tweaks to get rid of the stability related issues. Braking performance was certainly improved, so I don't think it's an issue.

GCJ

Hi,

Firstly thank you for all the information collected in this thread it's very useful.

I apologize if this question was already asked but when I went through the 37 pages of posts I couldn't find an answer.

For my MK7 Golf GTI (non PP) I'm thinking about taking the route of the Macan's calipers upgrade.
Considering I need to get anyway bigger rotors I had a look at the specs of the Golf R MK6 and the Macan rotors both being 345mm.

I noticed 3 relevant differences :

The centerbore 65mm for the Golf and 68 for the Macan. Not a big deal the 3mm difference can be adjusted with rings like below.
https://www.urotuning.com/products/...-65mm-to-68mm-13a04187?variant=13722697269303

Then the offset 49.6mm for the Golf 52.1mm for the Macan
The 2.5mm is not huge but what I can't figure out is which one will have the rotor more centered within the caliper. The Macan because it's the rotors which are originally paired with the calipers or the Golf because the knuckles are different.

Last but not least the weight 12kg for the Golf 11.1kg for the Macan difference 0.9kg which can be a nice saving in relation with unsprung weight.

To make a long story short if I get the Macan's rotors for the Golf MK7 will the calipers be more centered or less compare to the Golf MK6's rotors.

For reference here below the rotors specs from Brembo website.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.42.23 AM.png

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you.
I guess I should have phrase my question differently. Why not the Macan rotors ?

Like I said, they won't work, full stop. Specifically, you will not be able to mount the caliper with the Macan rotor unless you can master two objects being in the same space at the same time.

While the mounting holes are the same between the Macan and our aluminum knuckles, the offset of the calipers is not the same between the two cars.

GCJ

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you it's clear cut.
I was hopping to be able to replicate with the Macan caliper what was done with the Audi A4 320x30 rotors in the thread below which comes with 52.1mm offset as well.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...4-4-piston-calipers-on-mk7-gti-non-pp.370833/
Thanks again for your quick reply, I appreciate it.

Not really sure what the point would be of trying to get the Macan rotors to fit, as the 345mm MK6 rotors are a perfect fit as many of us here have proven already.

0.9kg is not really much of a difference, and you could always seek a 2 piece option for better weight savings.

SkyeC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI SE
I have a set of Project Mu HC800+ front brake pads for these Brembos; if anyone wants them I'll let em go for $120 shipped. Would post in member classifieds but they don't fit most VWs so didn't want to be confusing. Remove the post if not allowed. :)

These are good street/track pads.

Please PM.

pmu1.jpg

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
PP stock lines. Would be curious about the Macan lines too if you have it though!

PP stock lines are right about 25". Next time I have the wheels off, I'll try to get measurements for the Macan lines.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

jose019

Has anybody upgraded to these from the non-performance GTI? Do I need PP brackets to mount the calipers or will non-pp work?