GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
So the Mecan brakes are 4 piston calipers? How about the GTI's PP calipers? 2 or 4 piston?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5511630-quot-Hydraulic-Brake-Assist-quot-on-the-Golf-R
I think it's better to leave this on. It shouldn't affect daily driving, especially when you're trying to come smoothly to a stop. It may have an effect on track driving but for 99% of the time, best to leave it on.

2. If you're running non-oem pads, then they probably didn't have the sensor in the pad. Do you have a dummy plug in the sensor plug to cancel the pad wear light?

4. uh yeah, you can do that regardless if you do the Macan calipers or not. Not sure what you're asking here.

No the whole wire is missing. I don't think it came with my car for some reason. Maybe the Mexicans forgot...

I thought it wasn't good to pad slap cus they need to bed in and stuff.

So the Mecan brakes are 4 piston calipers? How about the GTI's PP calipers? 2 or 4 piston?

Stock calipers are 1 piston sliding calipers. Porsche Macan are 4 pistons fixed calipers.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5511630-quot-Hydraulic-Brake-Assist-quot-on-the-Golf-R
I think it's better to leave this on. It shouldn't affect daily driving, especially when you're trying to come smoothly to a stop. It may have an effect on track driving but for 99% of the time, best to leave it on.

No the whole wire is missing. I don't think it came with my car for some reason. Maybe the Mexicans forgot...

I thought it wasn't good to pad slap cus they need to bed in and stuff.

Stock calipers are 1 piston sliding calipers. Porsche Macan are 4 pistons fixed calipers.

Within a day, I was braking smoothly again, because I adjusted to it and started to drive it just like every other set of brakes I've used for 30 years that required me to drive smoothly, and now I also have better pedal feel and full control of brake modulation right up until ABS is triggered.

Mexican built cars don't come with brake sensor.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
so many better options than ebc... literally any other brand is better

I'd use autozone pads before EBC, honestly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not sure why you keep typing slap. The L and W key are not even close together :ROFLMAO: You can bed the brakes at the track, it's not rocket science

I also try to use an aggressive street pad and track pad from the same manufacture, under the unproven believe that the manufacture generally uses similar materials in their aggressive street pads and track pads, just in different formulas, so the deposits on the rotors should be pretty close. I've never had an issue following that logic.

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Not sure why you keep typing slap. The L and W key are not even close together :ROFLMAO: You can bed the brakes at the track, it's not rocket science
Well I was reading how you shouldn't pad slap and always change rotors when you change pads. When you don't, the mechanics call it "pad slap". Which if you track and alternate between street and track pads, doesn't seem feasible... T

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well I was reading how you shouldn't pad slap and always change rotors when you change pads. When you don't, the mechanics call it "pad slap". Which if you track and alternate between street and track pads, doesn't seem feasible... T

Must be a Canadian term? Been working on, crewing for and driving race cars and on track since I was 12 years old, and never heard that term.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion

Seems like a ploy from your dealer/mechanic to get you to buy more rotors.

Unless your rotors are super grooved, or too thin, I don't see a problem with "pad slapping". I've run 2 sets of oem pads, and a set of Ferodo 2500 on the same rotors with no issues.

Just make sure you clean and lube any required parts, and bed the pads in properly. What's not feasible with that?

If you're super concerned, just buy a cheap set of blanks for track use only.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hey, I think I've found a source for better pins. Lots of Renault track guys in Europe use them and I think they'll work with our Macan calipers. I'll keep you all posted. I don't like the idea of routinely inserting and extracting the punch pins for tracking.