GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I reached out to Technafit Chris again regarding rear brake lines and it would appear they've switched over to the zinc plated steel.

Thoughts? VWR makes stainless rear lines with stainless fittings but they are $91 versus $50 for the Technafit ones.

They've always been zinc plated steel fittings from day 1 though, I know mine (on my stock calipers) are nice and...orange.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Send AP Essex a sample and they will get Spiegler to make a true SS line with Stainless fittings. More expensive but not ridiculously so.

They made a set of rears for my PP GTi from a sample. Most lines I’ve seen have plated steel fittings.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
GTI TCRs are entirely different from production cars. What works for a TCR might not work for a production car. I'll have to dig for the emails from VW Motorsport and AP Racing, but the entire brake system is different. The TCR utilizes a fixed 2 piston rear caliper and adjustable bias.

Stock 272 rear setup is trash. PP 310 setup was/is a huge improvement, but still lacking. Floating calipers are the devil. Maybe it's time for a full HPA or AP Racing setup.

On the topic of master cylinders. There's a ton of misinformation being spread. In the US the 23mm master cylinder is specific to the Golf and Golf Sportwagen with 288mm front brakes. All GTI, R, A3, S3, Atlas, and possibly Alltrack(need verification) are equipped with 25mm master cylinders. It's easy to identify your master cylinder. The diameter is part of the casting. I have one of each, I'll grab my comparison pics off my hard drive. The brake booster is also specific to the master cylinder diameter.
I've autocrossed and tracked a non-PP and PP GTI. Rear rotors make zero difference with nannies off. Pads matter, though.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
It would depend where I lived. Do you live in the rust belt? Get the SS.
Not particularly, Mid-A
They've always been zinc plated steel fittings from day 1 though, I know mine (on my stock calipers) are nice and...orange.
First post suggests otherwise -

Brake Lines
For brake lines, email Chris@techna-fit.com and ask for the below. They were $50 + $9 shipping handling and he can do SS if you request. You can also use stock Macan lines but they're more expensive new and you have to ziptie them, so why? They can make them in SS.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not particularly, Mid-A

First post suggests otherwise -

Brake Lines
For brake lines, email Chris@techna-fit.com and ask for the below. They were $50 + $9 shipping handling and he can do SS if you request. You can also use stock Macan lines but they're more expensive new and you have to ziptie them, so why? They can make them in SS.
That first post is not talking about the fittings, but the line material, i.e. ss lines vs rubber lines.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
That first post is not talking about the fittings, but the line material, i.e. ss lines vs rubber lines.

I let out an audible OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

Missed that one, I assumed we were always talking SS lines and you could optionally upgrade to SS fittings as well.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well, I found one of my master cylinders, haha. This is the first one I ordered and subsequently lost like 3 years ago, PN 8V1 611 021 B. Will get some calipers on it later today hopefully.
IMG_20210130_062526.jpgIMG_20210130_062449.jpgIMG_20210130_062418.jpgIMG_20210130_062454.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
nope.

I went with Macan Lines for the front and Golf R rear with Spiegler UK. SS fittings and a variety of colors.
For those with GTi PP, be aware that R’s with electric park brakes will not have the same rear brake line or pad shape.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What do we think the chances are the 17x9 et 35 Advanti Storm S1 wheels clear? Spokes should be fine I’m actually more concerned about barrel clearance. I know they fit PP brakes.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
What do we think the chances are the 17x9 et 35 Advanti Storm S1 wheels clear? Spokes should be fine I’m actually more concerned about barrel clearance. I know they fit PP brakes.
I would say they clear the calipers, but my only issue, even with +35 (8.5) on the front is rubbing the inside fender, so depends on low you are. other than that, should be good to go

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I would say they clear the calipers, but my only issue, even with +35 (8.5) on the front is rubbing the inside fender, so depends on low you are. other than that, should be good to go
Yea, I’m a little worried that with a 255 I’d rub, I do have 2.5 degrees front camber though. I could also raise the suspension up a bit.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Yea, I’m a little worried that with a 255 I’d rub, I do have 2.5 degrees front camber though. I could also raise the suspension up a bit.
i have the same camber -2.4 and had 235/40 up front and it rubbed especially on the highway. I didn't want to raise my car, so that was a no go

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
i have the same camber -2.4 and had 235/40 up front and it rubbed especially on the highway. I didn't want to raise my car, so that was a no go
Damn. Sounds like a no go then. To clarify you’re setup was 17x8.5 ET35 with 235/40/17? Or were you 18x8.5 et 35?