GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No, but with using lubricated seals and the RPV I have achieved the results I was looking for so no. Porsche does not sell the pistons separately, I guess they figure the caliper is so cheap that... And if you buy after market/third party replacement pistons you really don't know what you will get.

But the Q5 uses all non coated, correct?

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the reply! That video is great. I have an air compressor, so I will try that way since I can't use the pedal to push the pistons out (they're still new in box).

Would the 2x4 method work if I'm going to be replacing the lines as well? I'd assume yes, but I'd just lose whatever brake fluid was in the stock lines as well.

I think I'll do the same for the rear GTI PP calipers I have as well. I just need to figure out how those come out (not sure if the piston screws in due to the e brake).
Yes, any time you need to open a brake line connection, using a 2x4 to hold the pedal down will prevent fluid pouring out. I use this method every time I disconnect a line front or back, works great. BTW This is the shop manual procedure so...

I looked into trying to do something with the rear calipers but the shop manual is very clear that you should not attempt to remove the rear piston. Something about the built in parking brake does not make that a viable DIY option. So I would not recommend messing with the rear calipers, it seems the only option there is replacement.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
But the Q5 uses all non coated, correct?
They are all coated (well accept for the stock single piston caliper), just two different friction coatings and the lighter pistons have the slicker surface. The Macan calipers use different seal channel cuts forinner and outer pistons, which is why the also have two different piston friction coatings to match (see Post 6 How to fix/improve low/soft Brake pedal for details), from the pictures of used Q5 calipers it appears they use the lighter pistons for both inner and outer.
I have never inspected a Q5 caliper up close, it is possible the differences are more than just the outer finish, based on the piston types I suspect they do not have the different seal cuts like we see in the Macan version.
Based on my experience I don't see any reason to replace the pistons unless you are wanting to upgrade to SS or Titanium. If you use lube regardless of what you install, and maybe add the RPV's if needed, it should work well.
If you look at my test data on post 6 the 2 PSI RPV or the lube have similar effects on the piston retraction. So lubing the seals only or adding the RPV's will get you close to a the stock caliper pedal height/feel. It is when you do both together that the magic happens. It is all about reducing piston retraction (without causing drag), and keeping the MC in the larger bore stage 1 phase. Those two things is what give you a consistent rock hard high brake pedal with the best feel and modulation.
If you look at my data, even the stock calipers could achieve similar results with lube and the RPV's. I can't say for sure about other calipers but I suspect this would work well for most.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Yes, any time you need to open a brake line connection, using a 2x4 to hold the pedal down will prevent fluid pouring out. I use this method every time I disconnect a line front or back, works great. BTW This is the shop manual procedure so...

I looked into trying to do something with the rear calipers but the shop manual is very clear that you should not attempt to remove the rear piston. Something about the built in parking brake does not make that a viable DIY option. So I would not recommend messing with the rear calipers, it seems the only option there is replacement.

Thanks so much for the help! Saving me money and time with the rear calipers!

2x4 method still recommended if I am switching to motul brake fluid (from stock)?

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Thanks so much for the help! Saving me money and time with the rear calipers!

2x4 method still recommended if I am switching to motul brake fluid (from stock)?

I am not sure I understand, the 2x4 is for when you are disconnecting brake lines, removing calipers, that sort of thing. If you are just bleeding or swapping/flushing fluid, then standard brake bleeding procedures are fine. You don't want the 2x4 in there for bleeding the brakes, I recommend using a pressure bleeder.

If you are installing new brake components you might want to get some cheaper brake fluid from the auto parts store and use that to bleed the the system and sort out any issues. Once you know all is well then you can flush it with the high temp stuff, otherwise you might end up wasting a lot of expensive high temp fluid.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
1605821406647.png

Oh you boys better believe I'm getting ready!

- Rennline 60mm bullet nose studs
- 034 Motorspot lugnuts
- ECS 10mm/17.5mm spacers
- Wilwood RPV (shout out to @emichel6888 )
- Techna-fit brake lines (per first post)
- EBC Red Front/Rear pads (daily driver)
- OEM Audi RS3 LCA bushings
- Porsche Macan Calipers (w/ 45mm Racing Brake Hi-temp dust boots, thanks @scrapin240 )
- Badgeskins R emblem

Still waiting on StopTech Cryo-treated Slotted Rotors (MK6-R front, MK7-R rear)

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Has anyone gotten any closer to confirming if the 17x8.5 MR145s fit? Worst case I'm considering buying them from Tire Rack and returning if they don't fit. I live about 20 min from a distribution center, so returning theoretically should be easy if I just mount one to the car while it's in the air.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Oh you boys better believe I'm getting ready!

- Rennline 60mm bullet nose studs
- 034 Motorspot lugnuts
- ECS 10mm/17.5mm spacers
- Wilwood RPV (shout out to @emichel6888 )
- Techna-fit brake lines (per first post)
- EBC Red Front/Rear pads (daily driver)
- OEM Audi RS3 LCA bushings
- Porsche Macan Calipers (w/ 45mm Racing Brake Hi-temp dust boots, thanks @scrapin240 )
- Badgeskins R emblem

Still waiting on StopTech Cryo-treated Slotted Rotors (MK6-R front, MK7-R rear)
Nice colour!

Let us know how the RPVs go.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Has anyone gotten any closer to confirming if the 17x8.5 MR145s fit? Worst case I'm considering buying them from Tire Rack and returning if they don't fit. I live about 20 min from a distribution center, so returning theoretically should be easy if I just mount one to the car while it's in the air.

I was thinking of buying a wheel just to test and return it if it doesn't, but there's a 4 week lead time for us in Canada.

If you can get one easy, I'd definitely like to know if they clear or not

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Nice colour!

Let us know how the RPVs go.

Definitely, I figure if I'm gonna do it I'm going all out.

I gave the powder coating guy Porsche Acid Green as reference and said I wanted it obnoxious - result? I think it was called Shocker Yellow and he added a chrome clear or something? They're gorgeous in person

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Definitely, I figure if I'm gonna do it I'm going all out.

I gave the powder coating guy Porsche Acid Green as reference and said I wanted it obnoxious - result? I think it was called Shocker Yellow and he added a chrome clear or something? They're gorgeous in person

Did you match the rears?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I am not sure I understand, the 2x4 is for when you are disconnecting brake lines, removing calipers, that sort of thing. If you are just bleeding or swapping/flushing fluid, then standard brake bleeding procedures are fine. You don't want the 2x4 in there for bleeding the brakes, I recommend using a pressure bleeder.

If you are installing new brake components you might want to get some cheaper brake fluid from the auto parts store and use that to bleed the the system and sort out any issues. Once you know all is well then you can flush it with the high temp stuff, otherwise you might end up wasting a lot of expensive high temp fluid.

Got it, thanks. I haven't installed anything on the car yet, so I was wondering if the 2x4 method was still needed if I was going to be installing the 4 new calipers and also switching to RBF600.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I was thinking of buying a wheel just to test and return it if it doesn't, but there's a 4 week lead time for us in Canada.

If you can get one easy, I'd definitely like to know if they clear or not

I might order one from Tire Rack soon. I'll have to call them and see how it works to buy (and possibly return) a wheel vs an entire wheel and tire package. If you do return a wheel and tire package they take $60 for mounting and balancing labor.

I'll probably buy just a bare wheel from them, and if it fits, buy 3 wheels and tires mounted, and get the last tire from Discount Tire and have them mount it on the test fit wheel.