GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
This is the grease that killed the blue boot. Made for ceramic rotors...aka Do not use

@emichel6888 you bring up a good point about the green Permatex. Think I'll use SuperLube PTFE

Last edited:

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
This is the grease that killed the blue boot. Made for ceramic rotors...aka Do not use

@emichel6888 you bring up a good point about the green Permatex. Think I'll use SuperLube PTFE

I would be careful about that, unless you are sure it is compatible with the rubber seals we have, and brake fluid. Most caliper piston seals are made of EPDM and Super Lube is not compatible with that rubber:
2020-09-25 08_07_54-Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease with Syncolon (PTFE).pdf (SECURE...jpg

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I would be careful about that, unless you are sure it is compatible with the rubber seals we have, and brake fluid. Most caliper piston seals are made of EPDM and Super Lube is not compatible with that rubber:
Good to know. Aren't the RB High Temp dust seals Silicone? (Good compatibility on the chart)

EDIT: I see you're talking about the piston seal....at this point, I'll use some spit and call it a day

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the link, I just ordered these. I saw where RB says not to let brake fluid or certain brake greases touch these silicon dust seals. They show examples and reference a post on some Focus RS forum:
View attachment 186861
View attachment 186862

This was apparently caused by a type of ceramic/silicon based brake grease applied to the piston/pad contact surface. They do not mention specifically what types of grease to avoid, other than to say brake grease or brake fluid in general. They then go on to suggest a specific type of brake grease to use on the piston seals, a Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube.
Given all the work I did recently with piston retraction and seal lube, I was curious about this lube and did a little digging. Based on what I found, I am not so sure this is a good option, it is a Lithium based grease, and Permatex's own website specifically says it is "for metal on metal" applications only.

https://www.permatex.com/products/l...kes/permatex-ultra-disc-brake-caliper-lube-4/
View attachment 186864
I even found several instances where people reported this grease caused severe rubber swell; which is probably why Permatex states that it is intended for metal on metal use only. If you are using it to lubricate the piston seal, is it compatible with brake fluid or the rubber seal? What sort of testing and verification did they do before recommending this grease?
Apparently folks have been using it, so who knows. Take this for whatever it is worth, just figured I would raise the concern, and say that personally I would not use this grease for the piston/seal. I use red rubber grease, that stuff is proven to work with all rubber, silicon, and is compatible with all brake fluids, and it has been used for this specific application for decades: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-oz-100-P...863421&hash=item3f6c313bcd:g:5Y4AAOSwYIxX8Ev8

View attachment 186865
I would use it not only for the piston seal, but pack the dust seal with it as well, why not?
I have personally tested this grease to over 600 degrees and it was fine, also found plenty of references from racers that swear by it as well, so I wouldn't let the temp spec be a concern.

I've given up on tracking anymore this year, but I'm going to add titanium shims, RB dust boots, red rubber grease, and figure out some real ducting for next season, which in Florida means January. lol

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
This may work @emichel6888 AGS SIL-Glyde Silicone Lubricant, Tube, 8 oz?
Maybe, but I would not use it without some sort of documentation from the manufacturer stating that it is acceptable for piston seal lubrication with DOT 4 brake fluid. I am not a chemist so take this for what it is worth, but here is what I can see.

The description says:

“Sil-Glyde® Brake Lubricant is a silicone-based brake lubricant recommended for the entire brake assembly, is compatible with plastic and rubber (EPDM & Nitrile) and dampens vibrations between contact points. It is moisture-proof and heat resistant to over 425 degrees F (218 degrees C), which means it won’t burn-off like other brake noise products. Its long-lasting properties provide a noise-free brake installation and easy disassembly. Using AGS brake lubricant is one of the keys to eliminating disc brake squeal and protecting parts from corrosion and rust.”

It does say “the entire brake assembly” however, that typically refers to all external components only. I don’t think we can assume internal components are included in that statement. Looking at a tube of Syl-glide label, it does not say anything about using it internally however, it does say to use on caliper slide pins, seal boots and shoe contact points, but again nothing about piston seals.

It also says it is compatible with EPDM rubber so that is an important one up improvement from the Permatex grease recommended by RB. However, it also says that it is “silicone-based” which would indicate that it is not compatible with Glycol based DOT 4 brake fluids.

Silicon fluids do not mix with brake fluid; however, an argument can be made that the small amount of grease left in the system after rebuild and bleeding should be minimal, and might not be enough to cause concern, but that is pure speculation on my part so…

The old Sil-Glyde msds I found shows it to contain castor oil, polyethylene glycol, and just a bit (7-13%) of some type of silicone/silica component. So perhaps Sil-Glyde is not a true silicone product like the Dow and 3M brake/dielectric greases. However, AGS is vague about the chemical makeup of this grease claiming a “proprietary formula” so only they can truly advise on its compatibility in this application.

Then there is the fact that we have no idea what chemical in that CRC silicone/ceramic grease ate those pricey BR silicone dust boots. So how do we know this Sil Glyde does not have the same chemical? Since we are not entirely sure what is in it, or what interacted with those high temp dust boots.

So sure, you can try it, and it might be fine, but I have to ask why? When we already have a grease specifically designed for this application that has been in use and proven for decades, and in both street and race applications. It is 100% compatible with virtually all rubber, silicone, and DOT 4 brake fluid. Why would you bother to take a chance on something that may or may not have some unforeseen chemical interaction?

Like I said I have tested it at over 600 degrees and plenty of folks use it in race applications and swear by it, so what exactly is it that makes you feel like you have to find something different?

Just use Red Rubber grease: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-oz-100-P...863421&hash=item3f6c313bcd:g:5Y4AAOSwYIxX8Ev8

Or if you really want to try something different, there is the special formulated lithium based grease that VAG specifies part # G052150A2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/362498323200 I can’t find any specifications on it, but clearly it is compatible with the piston seals and DOT 4 brake fluid. Although we have no idea if it is compatible with those silicone dust seals, but personally, I would use that over some random brake caliper grease.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
VCDS/OBDeleven optimizations
I think I figured out why the brakes are so weird feeling. Even after I got them to firm up, they never really felt like I'm used to in my old STI or 911. I bought OBD11 to make some changes for track and had an ah ha moment.

The last change to make was for hydraulic brake assist, but I couldn't get it to work in OBD11 because I didn't have the correct security code. Took a couple of days to find it, but in the meantime, I drove around with the other changes and brakes felt the same. I finally found the code and deactivated Hydraulic brake assistance in the 03 module and they brakes actually work like a normal car now. Holy cow, night and day difference.

Here are some of the changes, but hydraulic brake assist is the only one your notice in everyday driving.

03 braking module security code 25757 worked for straight ahead brake stabilization. Turned it off and it'll allow trail braking into a corner without the abs fighting you.

03 braking module security code11966 worked for hydraulic brake assist. Removes the computer controlled brake boost that smooths out your braking and boosts braking pressure in panic stops. Gives you 100% control of brake pressure. Pedal felt amazing after turning off.

03 abs module Brake booster security code 25001 or 25004. Factory setting 4, most use 2, I like 3. Edit, finally set this to 2. Feels much better.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to undertaking the above optimisations? I have OBD11 but all Ive used so far are the Apps.
Are the security codes the same for every car, I have a UK R car so will these codes work on my car?
Lastly, if I want to return to the original settings, How do I go about doing that?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Can anyone give me an idiots guide to undertaking the above optimisations? I have OBD11 but all Ive used so far are the Apps.
Are the security codes the same for every car, I have a UK R car so will these codes work on my car?
Lastly, if I want to return to the original settings, How do I go about doing that?

You go to the Car, Control Units, Brakes 03, Adaption, then select the the adaption you want to change. Make the change, hold down the green check at the bottom, the security code screen will pop up, enter security code, profit. Reversing the changes is exactly the same process.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
The shims did help quiet down the DS2500. It did not help the save dust boots from further breaking down though, maybe it helped it some. My brakes did get really really hot when the factory traction control kicked in during hot laps.