GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Also.... given the thickness of the these shims, I don't know if the difference in thermal conductivity between titanium and stainless is actually significant. The main factor is going to be the contact resistance of adding another layer between pad and piston. Stainless would be much cheaper and get you 95% of the performance. Seems like something we could do a little group order if desired. Any waterjet or laser cutter could knock these out when we're talking less than 1mm stainless. Thoughts?

Stainless steel is about 14.5 W/mK. 6/4 Ti is 7.2. (for comparison, carbon steel is ~30-60W/mK, aluminum alloys are around 200) Selection of anti-squeal grease will also have some effect here. I haven't done out a full thermal resistance model to actually calculate Q̇ , but the plate itself will be twice as effective with Ti.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Stainless steel is about 14.5 W/mK. 6/4 Ti is 7.2. (for comparison, carbon steel is ~30-60W/mK, aluminum alloys are around 200) Selection of anti-squeal grease will also have some effect here. I haven't done out a full thermal resistance model to actually calculate Q̇ , but the plate itself will be twice as effective with Ti.

Sure, but at .030 thickness... what's that actually mean? The bigger thermal resistance is from the contact from pad to shim, and then shim to piston. And yeah, whatever component the grease or lube or whatever provides. It's like a wetsuit or base layer outside clothing.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone with a GTI with stock Austins please hurry up and test them 😂

I just ordered a pair of these calipers, running 10mm spacers in the front, I hope this will clear!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I had Austin's on my 2015 gti when I did my b9 a4 caliper swap. Grant you they are not quite the same as the macan, the dimensions are similar. I had to run a 15mm spacers and only had minimal clearance. I would think that a 10mm would be just shy of working.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Thought I would share this as it may help others. Wheels are 18x8 ET44 with a 10mm spacer.
IMG-2251.jpg

mfmarti3

Car(s)
Octavia RS 2.0 TSI
these Macan calipers fit into MQB platform? I have a Octavia RS TSI 2.0 5E car and Im looking to upgrade to big calipers, firt idea to use RS3/Seat Cupra brembo calipers+ 370mm rotors, but Macan option is cheaper.

Only to confirm.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Yes they fit the MQB chassis and are a direct bolt on.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
ohh great! and fit with 370mm rotors? or only works with 340mm - 345mm?

There's not a lot of clearance beyond the 345mm rotors on mine. Assuming your uprights are the same dimensions, you're stuck with a 345mm. You should read at least the 1st page of the thread. Lots of good info.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
ohh great! and fit with 370mm rotors? or only works with 340mm - 345mm?
The caliper should work with a 370mm rotor given you have no issues with your wheels clearing I believe (Don’t hold me to that). If you refer to the first page some vehicles that use similar pads also run a 370mm rotor.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
The caliper should work with a 370mm rotor given you have no issues with your wheels clearing I believe (Don’t hold me to that). If you refer to the first page some vehicles that use similar pads also run a 370mm rotor.

Not with the same uprights as we have.

Jarbear

Ready to race!

Uhh no it wont work. The calipers mount with "tabs" on the caliper that match up to the mounting holes on the knuckle. The many others (like TTRS, Stoptech, etc.) are radial mount, where the mounting bracket is different for each application. This is why the TTRS caliper can be used on both the 340mm and the 370mm by changing the bracket itself. Since the macan caliper mounting holes are fixed, the 340mm/345mm are your only options.

The cars listed on the first page with 370mm rotors have the completely different calipers that mount differently. The sole similarity of the cars listed there are the brake pads themselves.