GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Can you test fit the Hypergrams? I’m trading for a set the same spec but got worried that I would need to big of a spacer to clear. Someone mentioned 18mm! I can do 10mm at most...

This is what I got from Scott at Konig said when I emailed them about Hypergram fitment:
"Currently the Hypergram number you gave me would need about 15mm of spacing to clear the brake and another 3mm of spacing to have the required safe spacing distance for the brake."

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
This is what I got from Scott at Konig said when I emailed them about Hypergram fitment:
"Currently the Hypergram number you gave me would need about 15mm of spacing to clear the brake and another 3mm of spacing to have the required safe spacing distance for the brake."

Thanks...I'm hoping he's wrong if scrapin240 can check this out. It's a nice lightweight wheel that I'd like to use for the track.

jtsherri

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Golf R owners: I ordered Z26 pads before considering the wear sensors. Am I able to make these pads work or should I return them for something that works out of the box?

Any feedback is appreciated! 👍🏻

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Golf R owners: I ordered Z26 pads before considering the wear sensors. Am I able to make these pads work or should I return them for something that works out of the box?

Any feedback is appreciated! 👍🏻

Wear sensors are optional. Take your old pads, clip the lines and short them (crimp or solder + heat shrink w/ glue). You won't get wear warnings but other than that you'll be good.

jtsherri

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Wear sensors are optional. Take your old pads, clip the lines and short them (crimp or solder + heat shrink w/ glue). You won't get wear warnings but other than that you'll be good.
I was hoping to keep them functional, plus I also intend to sell the stock pads with the calipers, lines, and rotors since they only have ~7k miles on them.

This is the route I was planning to take if there’s no other option, though. Just hoping there’s another option.

I appreciate the feedback. 👍🏻

Are the pads notched to accept a sensor?

I don’t recall seeing one. I’ll have to double check.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
and safety spacing...this is from my buddy's Alfa Gulia QV Nring factory setup. basically a piece of paper could barely fit

50031204231_7103b2fd58_k.jpg
50031204381_5fcb88e40e_c.jpg

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Can you test fit the Hypergrams? I’m trading for a set the same spec but got worried that I would need to big of a spacer to clear. Someone mentioned 18mm! I can do 10mm at most...
on the 18x8.5 Hypergrams, 10 definitely works, I believe a 8mm would also work, but I sold the set before the 8mm spacers arrived.

Last edited:

Marty C

Car(s)
19 mk7.5r, 18 Passat
So, is there are part number for a pad with the notch for the oem sensors? I have acquired the mk6r rotors from fcpeuro, brake lines from Jerry @ Neuspeed just put the order in for the calipers. Planning on using VHT gloss black caliper paint and silver brembo decale and hit it with a VHT gloss coat. Just need pads identified. Thanks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The very first post
So, is there are part number for a pad with the notch for the oem sensors? I have acquired the mk6r rotors from fcpeuro, brake lines from Jerry @ Neuspeed just put the order in for the calipers. Planning on using VHT gloss black caliper paint and silver brembo decale and hit it with a VHT gloss coat. Just need pads identified. Thanks.

The very first post has the answer. You need to buy pads for the RS3. They have the notch for the wear sensor.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Konig Rennform's do need a 5 mm spacer for a perfect fit. I started with a 10 mm spacer and found it was unnecessary, and that the caliper actually looks better when it is closer to the wheel.
Konig Rennform with Macan caliper.jpg

Stock Golf R Pretoria's 19 x 8 ET 50 fit perfectly with just a 10 mm spacer. I almost sold these thinking they would not fit with this caliper based on the OP, but that was for the 18 x 7.5 version so... If you already have spacers for a flush look, then you are good to go already.

STOCK WHEELS.jpg

I also saw it mentioned that you can't use the spare doughnut with this caliper, I don't know if the GTI spare is a different size, but on my golf R with a 15 mm spacer it fits just fine. I was using some 5 mm spacers and at 10 mm it just touched. So if you don't want to be swapping tires back to front on the side of the road, just get a 15 mm spacer and stow it with your spare. I found a 64 mm stud fits really well for up to a 10 mm spacer with most wheels and fits perfect with the spare and a 15 mm spacer.
I have already had to use this spare on my front and it works just fine, and no where in the manual or on the tire does it say not to use it on the front. More often than not it will be your front that ends up going flat so...

Spare tire with Macan caliper.jpg

Getting these calipers prompted me to finally do a stud conversion, and now that I have I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It makes everything so much easier to deal with, especially if you are contemplating this caliper upgrade or even just playing around with wheels and spacers, just do it. It doesn't even have to cost much, I found these studs and nuts on amazon, all in was > $50 and I have had the wheels on and of several times since installing them and even did a track day and they are holding up just fine. One other thing the spare is a flat steel wheel so doesn't really have a seat, so whether you have ball or conical nuts they both are fine to use with the spare.

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
Konig Rennform's do need a 5 mm spacer for a perfect fit. I started with a 10 mm spacer and found it was unnecessary, and that the caliper actually looks better when it is closer to the wheel.

Stock Golf R Pretoria's 19 x 8 ET 50 fit perfectly with just a 10 mm spacer. I almost sold these thinking they would not fit with this caliper based on the OP, but that was for the 18 x 7.5 version so... If you already have spacers for a flush look, then you are good to go already.

I also saw it mentioned that you can't use the spare doughnut with this caliper, I don't know if the GTI spare is a different size, but on my golf R with a 15 mm spacer it fits just fine. I was using some 5 mm spacers and at 10 mm it just touched. So if you don't want to be swapping tires back to front on the side of the road, just get a 15 mm spacer and stow it with your spare. I found a 64 mm stud fits really well for up to a 10 mm spacer with most wheels and fits perfect with the spare and a 15 mm spacer.
I have already had to use this spare on my front and it works just fine, and no where in the manual or on the tire does it say not to use it on the front. More often than not it will be your front that ends up going flat so...

Getting these calipers prompted me to finally do a stud conversion, and now that I have I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It makes everything so much easier to deal with, especially if you are contemplating this caliper upgrade or even just playing around with wheels and spacers, just do it. It doesn't even have to cost much, I found these studs and nuts on amazon, all in was > $50 and I have had the wheels on and of several times since installing them and even did a track day and they are holding up just fine. One other thing the spare is a flat steel wheel so doesn't really have a seat, so whether you have ball or conical nuts they both are fine to use with the spare.

Do you know anyone with a GTI to test the stock Austin fitment?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^ I might can help with that.