GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
That's the shape pad you folks are looking for in the middle

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1592562707206.jpg
    FB_IMG_1592562707206.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 204

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
So the lower portion in that photo has to clear the inner wheel surface and the wheel spokes, correct?

Correct, but you do have like 2-3 mm of leeway for the spoke clearance, because the caliper offset of the B8 cars is a smidge different from the MQB Golfs

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yeah! I saw your thread. Really good info and pics. And I noticed those cylindrical weights or dowels on the wings that extend out from the pad. I couldn't quite figure out what the point of those were. At the moment, I'm most interested in the B9 A4 calipers, so some weights would be awesome. Thanks!
Unfortunately I sold this kit when I purchased the R a d forgot to weigh the calipers. However, I do have a shipping weight for 2 rotors, 2 calipers, pads and lines. Basically the entire kit weighs 72.8lbs.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Techna-Fit lines came in today, strainless with stainless braiding. Paid
$60 shipped. Ordered Stoptech slotted 345x30 rotors ($140 each) and Z26 pads as well. Just waiting for the calipers to come back from powder coating to slap it all together.

Will be selling GTI PP brakes, slotted Stoptech rotors and Stoptech stainless steel lines when I do the swap if anyone is interested.
20200620_165438.jpg

Last edited:

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That's all them, only thing they got was calipers, no bleeders or lines are attached. They know to mask the threads and the piston ports as they do a lot of car parts.

Do you happen to know the temperature range that the powder coat you are getting can handle without failure? I've seen some OEM PP calipers that have had the factory finish get destroyed after a track day.
I need to get educated on what the Porsche factory finish is on those calipers. A comparable finish is what you should be getting on your calipers.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Do you happen to know the temperature range that the powder coat you are getting can handle without failure? I've seen some OEM PP calipers that have had the factory finish get destroyed after a track day.
I need to get educated on what the Porsche factory finish is on those calipers. A comparable finish is what you should be getting on your calipers.
Remember at high temps the dust boots will fail, so either be prepared to install new ones, or get high temp ones

Last edited:

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Anyone try these with FC04 17x8? They seem to have a fair amount of room around the stock caliper.

I’m going to print out the guide and try it out as well but figured I’d ask just in case.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
20200621_112926.jpg

Heh, my calipers decided to go 50 shades darker after the track. Aged into a nice Merlot.

Brakes were really good on track with endless pads. Only weird thing was my pedal would go soft after a session. Maybe my brake fluid reservoir is leaking :(

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
Heh, my calipers decided to go 50 shades darker after the track. Aged into a nice Merlot.

Brakes were really good on track with endless pads. Only weird thing was my pedal would go soft after a session. Maybe my brake fluid reservoir is leaking :(

I would re-bleed them first and do a visual inspection for leaks..

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
View attachment 177441

Possibly air in the line somewhere. Tiny air bubbles expand while hot and cause more softness. Might want to add some ti plate backers to those pads and review brake cooling too, those got cooked! Sadly the downside of powder coating - even stock red brembos get deep red with track use.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
I would re-bleed them first and do a visual inspection for leaks..
Possibly air in the line somewhere. Tiny air bubbles expand while hot and cause more softness. Might want to add some ti plate backers to those pads and review brake cooling too, those got cooked! Sadly the downside of powder coating - even stock red brembos get deep red with track use.

Yeah definitely going to bleed them next week. Didn't have time today to go everything after the track day with it being Fathers Day and all. Going to generate some heat in the braking system again and try to bleed them, hopefully don't burn my hands. I've always bled them relatively cool, so maybe that's my problem?

I'm definitely going to grab the Ti plates soon. Going to check the condition of the piston boots as well to see if I should just jump to all the high temp stuff.

Were these those beautiful purple callipers?

Lol they sure were. Honestly, not too upset as they weren't ever going to be just for show. Like I said, they're a nice Merlot now :p

DSC07829.png

Ralphie_43

Car(s)
Audi S3 8V (MQB)
How much thicker in width is this caliper vs R calipers? Does anyone happen to have a picture of these two calipers to show the difference?

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Yeah definitely going to bleed them next week. Didn't have time today to go everything after the track day with it being Fathers Day and all. Going to generate some heat in the braking system again and try to bleed them, hopefully don't burn my hands. I've always bled them relatively cool, so maybe that's my problem?

I'm definitely going to grab the Ti plates soon. Going to check the condition of the piston boots as well to see if I should just jump to all the high temp stuff.

Lol they sure were. Honestly, not too upset as they weren't ever going to be just for show. Like I said, they're a nice Merlot now :p

View attachment 177495
Were they powder coated or painted/

Last edited: