GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure we have the biggest MC stock that you can get for this platform, unless the mk8 got a bigger one, which I don't think it did. They did change the ABS module to feel firmer, right up until the fluid boils and you drive off a cliff.
There was that confusion where people checked the same part number m/c and some found 23.8mm bore and some got 25.4mm. Even the 8V RS3 had the same part number as the Mk7 1.4/1.8L golfs.

It's worth noting that the 8Y RS3 does have a new part: 3Q1614019F and the Mk8 R/GTI have another: 3Q1614019E.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There was that confusion where people checked the same part number m/c and some found 23.8mm bore and some got 25.4mm. Even the 8V RS3 had the same part number as the Mk7 1.4/1.8L golfs.

It's worth noting that the 8Y RS3 does have a new part: 3Q1614019F and the Mk8 R/GTI have another: 3Q1614019E.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?
What the new one cost? Could order one, measure, and return it if it's no bigger?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
$345, my dealer tech buddy could use his discount but they're still stingy about Mk8 parts without a VIN.
I'll ask around our local FB group, we have some VW mechanics. I'll have them look out for any MC replacements on mk8's and see if they can tell if it's a larger diameter.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
So this is the stuff I bought for when my calipers get back from powder coat. Says specifically for caliper piston and seals. Any thoughts?

57gm / 2 oz. 100% Pure Genuine RED Rubber Grease, for Brake Caliper Piston Seals and Boots, Corrosion and Oxidation Resistant, Meets Lucas Girling TS-2-34-04 spec. https://a.co/d/7vPXg4o

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So this is the stuff I bought for when my calipers get back from powder coat. Says specifically for caliper piston and seals. Any thoughts?

57gm / 2 oz. 100% Pure Genuine RED Rubber Grease, for Brake Caliper Piston Seals and Boots, Corrosion and Oxidation Resistant, Meets Lucas Girling TS-2-34-04 spec. https://a.co/d/7vPXg4o
I can't comment on any RRG except Castrol. You can be the guineas big.

Djotasebarider

Car(s)
Audi A3 8V MQB
I got one for you guys.

Since about 2 - 3 weeks after I installed the callipers, I started getting this very low frequency violin sound when turning left or right after coming to a stop, I Initially thought it was calliper sticking or something so took them back off and nothing was wrong with them. Over time the sound just got worse to a point where when I lightly held the pedal while moving, it would sound like a train horn. I started by changing the discs which made no difference so I put in Hawk ceramic pads which are the quietist pads I have used. I bedded them in and went very easy on the brakes for about 200 miles, I thought all was good until I hammered on the brakes a bit on a run and the sound is back. No where near as bad or frequent but I could hear it sometimes when turning left or right while moving slow.

Any ideas on what I could try?

On another note, I still love these callipers. I have yet to experience any brake fade in these while I seen Mk8 Rs and 8Y S3s with fade like crap after couple of hard stops.
Hello, have you been able to solve this problem? I have the exact same train horn noise when driving slow and hitting the brake lightly.

sean!

Car(s)
Golb
I've been running my macan calipers for about a year now. Very happy with it on track and street (7-8 events/20,000 miles so far).

Not sure the last time the wheel fitment table was updated, but here are my findings (with photos)

19" Pretorias fit fine with 12mm spacer

18x9 +45 Neuspeed RSe10 fit fine no spacer

18x8.5 +45 Regamasters DID NOT FIT unless using a 12mm spacer. Looked really stupid, and wouldn't work. So I traded for 18x9 Advan GTs that are already confirmed to fit.

20220227_103231000_iOS.jpg
20230316_153712000_iOS.jpg
20230316_153656000_iOS.jpg
20220803_205350000_iOS.jpg
20230316_154240000_iOS.jpg
20221231_100625000_iOS.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've been running my macan calipers for about a year now. Very happy with it on track and street (7-8 events/20,000 miles so far).

Not sure the last time the wheel fitment table was updated, but here are my findings (with photos)

19" Pretorias fit fine with 12mm spacer

18x9 +45 Neuspeed RSe10 fit fine no spacer

18x8.5 +45 Regamasters DID NOT FIT unless using a 12mm spacer. Looked really stupid, and wouldn't work. So I traded for 18x9 Advan GTs that are already confirmed to fit.

View attachment 275741View attachment 275742View attachment 275743View attachment 275744View attachment 275746View attachment 275745
What track pads you using? The power stop track day pads dust ate the powder coating and my calipers look terrible. Yours look amazing.

sean!

Car(s)
Golb
What track pads you using? The power stop track day pads dust ate the powder coating and my calipers look terrible. Yours look amazing.
I use the same pads. Actually did about 10,000 street miles on a pair. The GTs look like garbage now. Hopefully an aggressive iron remover will get rid of some of the crusty dusty bits.

My calipers still look exactly the same though. I mean, other than when I dropped one twice when I was replacing a knuckle/ball joint, that failed due to some bad quality control issues.

I just used red VHT engine enamel spray cans and primer (no clear). I used REALLY cheap extra vinyl I had laying around to make the porsche stickers, and they've held up just fine.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I use the same pads. Actually did about 10,000 street miles on a pair. The GTs look like garbage now. Hopefully an aggressive iron remover will get rid of some of the crusty dusty bits.

My calipers still look exactly the same though. I mean, other than when I dropped one twice when I was replacing a knuckle/ball joint, that failed due to some bad quality control issues.

I just used red VHT engine enamel spray cans and primer (no clear). I used REALLY cheap extra vinyl I had laying around to make the porsche stickers, and they've held up just fine.
Is it just my imagination, but do the PS track day pads make the pedal feel firmer than ceramic type pads?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Third set of pads through these calipers. They do wear slightly unevenly for me.

Also, those getting noise. What pads and pins did you use? I did notice and added to the first post that the power stop provided pins are too short. Id guess that's why some of you are getting noise.

i can't get the brake dust from the track day pads out of the powder coating.
20230320_194801.jpg
20230320_195452.jpg
20230320_194326.jpg

Last edited:

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Little disappointed i bought some neuspeed rs10 forged wheels in 18x8 et 45 and they don't clear the calipers sadly. Going to try 5mm spacers first and if that doesnt work try 10mm after.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Third set of pads through these calipers. They do wear slightly unevenly for me.

Also, those getting noise. What pads and pins did you use? I did notice and added to the first post that the power stop provided pins are too short. Id guess that's why some of you are getting noise.

i can't get the brake dust from the track day pads out of the powder coating.
View attachment 276193View attachment 276199View attachment 276200
Thats not good or 'normal'. Looks like you are having to change your pads way before you would do if they were wearing evenly?!?

Thats the problem with powered coating callipers compared to painting. The callipers are obviously getting hot and the powder coat can't cope with it.
Little disappointed i bought some neuspeed rs10 forged wheels in 18x8 et 45 and they don't clear the calipers sadly. Going to try 5mm spacers first and if that doesnt work try 10mm after.
Weird. I had Neuspeed RSe10 19 x 8 et 45 and there was loads of room

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Thats not good or 'normal'. Looks like you are having to change your pads way before you would do if they were wearing evenly?!?

Thats the problem with powered coating callipers compared to painting. The callipers are obviously getting hot and the powder coat can't cope with it.

Weird. I had Neuspeed RSe10 19 x 8 et 45 and there was loads of room
Right I figured they would fit cause normally neuspeeds are bbk friendly. Well I was definitely wrong.