GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Bruh, once they're behind your wheels and they have some brake dust on them you'll never be able to tell. My calipers look even worse because I bought the $15 POR paint instead of G2 and it didn't level or anything and looks like crap, but you can't tell once they're on the car.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I get what you're saying. But I'm too much of a perfectionist for that. Even if they weren't perfect, I'd be fine because of that. They're brake calipers, not something you really stick your face up close to. But I know myself, and it's outside my threshold of acceptable. And considering this whole ordeal was done for purely cosmetic reasons, it just won't work for me. I'd rather just return the front rotors\pads, can keep the rear rotors\pads and the bleeder & fluid, and sell the calipers & brake lines for a bit of a loss here on the classifieds :(

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I mean its not the end of the day. You didn't separate the caliper halves right? I was thinking someone here may want to repaint for you with VHT or similar, and all you'd have to do is ship out the outer halves.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I mean its not the end of the day. You didn't separate the caliper halves right? I was thinking someone here may want to repaint for you with VHT or similar, and all you'd have to do is ship out the outer halves.

Nope. Didn't separate the halves. Took off the bleeders and crossover line (plugged the holes so no paint got in them), and painted them like that.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So I might end up abandoning this project :(

As this was a purely cosmetic upgrade for me, I'm not happy with the way the calipers turned out. A bristle from the brush I was using (not the one it came with as I've heard that was bad) got stuck in the paint right on the face of the caliper, and trying to correct that just made it worse. Now it just looks like it has herpes. The paint on the other one is a bit uneven, and just doesn't look that good overall.

I'm going to let them cure the 24 hours and reassess the situation. But I have a feeling I may be returning a bunch of parts, and listing a set of unused Macan calipers in the classifieds :(

View attachment 213410

View attachment 213411

For future knowledge, this looks like the result of poor surface prep and contamination for the most part. Painting is 85% prep work, 15% actual painting.

A bit of too-heavy coats or not enough dry time between coats too, but most of that blistering is a contamination problem.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
For future knowledge, this looks like the result of poor surface prep and contamination for the most part. Painting is 85% prep work, 15% actual painting.

A bit of too-heavy coats or not enough dry time between coats too, but most of that blistering is a contamination problem.

Nah. The blistering is 100% from me trying to fix a fuckup. A self inflicted issue. One of those things you do then go "Ahh shit fuck fuck fuck!"

ipop071

I used a lot of the info on this thread to get mine done. I was trying to get the 18z work by getting fancy with bracket design but gave up when someone here (thanks @nono0044 !)
Glad I got converted to the Macan BBK, feels great and was plug and play. Here's a few pics of my friction bananas (i never get tired of saying that lolol)

With that said, they suit the bronze or silver wheels better?

vinceymk

Car(s)
Tiguan AD1
I used a lot of the info on this thread to get mine done. I was trying to get the 18z work by getting fancy with bracket design but gave up when someone here (thanks @nono0044 !)
Glad I got converted to the Macan BBK, feels great and was plug and play. Here's a few pics of my friction bananas (i never get tired of saying that lolol)

With that said, they suit the bronze or silver wheels better?
Me Too, this thread actually help me a lot. And also the brake bleed procedure thanks to @GTIfan99
Althought mine was not install at Golf. Here mine on Tiguan MK2.

20210412_124110-01.jpeg
20210513_153924.jpg
20210513_154032.jpg

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I thought about it. But honestly, I just don't feel like it. It would require another $70 G2 kit since the paint is only good for 4 - 6 hours once mixed. I did coats as thin as I could. The first 2 - 3 coats went on fine.

I know I've never painted something myself and been fully happy with the way it came out. So I knew this was a possibility lol.

Do what makes you happy, but by the time you factor in return shipping and taking a loss on the calipers, you'd be likely ahead just getting another G2 kit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Do what makes you happy, but by the time you factor in return shipping and taking a loss on the calipers, you'd be likely ahead just getting another G2 kit.

Oh I know. Way ahead of that. But the possibility of buying another G2 kit, still not being happy with the results, and being in the same exact place is a possibility.

I have them listed already mostly because I'm angry and don't want to look at them anymore lol, but if they're still around in a week I'll probably examine refinishing them again more closely.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Nope. Didn't separate the halves. Took off the bleeders and crossover line (plugged the holes so no paint got in them), and painted them like that.

Come on man, don't be a quitter. Lol.

Sand it down a little and clear it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Come on man, don't be a quitter. Lol.

Sand it down a little and clear it.

In the end, I probably won't be. Right now I'm just being angry and emotional lol.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Dramatic. That's the word I was looking for lol