GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That works for a street car. Break out that hammer.

Mailing your paint after lunch.

1620314631321.jpg

Thanks again!

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Just for you I went out and took these pics.

The discs are only 2.5mm larger so the brake shields still cover them fine.

Yeah I just bent mine back a bit for a little more clearance, but it's really not needed. Just cut vents into the PP/R shield if you really want them :sneaky:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Yeah I just bent mine back a bit for a little more clearance, but it's really not needed. Just cut vents into the PP/R shield if you really want them :sneaky:

Definitely more protection against stuff slightly bending a 340mm shield than beating the shit out of a 312mm shield to flatten them haha.

Either way would be fine for a street car. On the rear I cut the lip off my 272mm shields since I ordered the wrong 310mm shields.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I had to trim my 312mm shields a tad at the bottom with a sawzaw, but they still cover the lower balljoint and ABS sensor which all that really matters. Make sure you torque everything to spec including the wheel before you check. I and a few other people here ran into issues where the rotor would only rub the tiniest bit once the wheel was on and torqued.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My plan was to not replace my dust shields. I was going to remove the ones from my 312mm rotors, use a vice\hammer to flatten the edges, and put them back on. No further trimming or modification would be required, would it? And they'll still protect what's necessary? I could get the PP ones for the 340mm rotors, but would still need to be flattened on the edges, and wouldn't "wrap" around the rotors like they normally do. So it seems like a waste of money. The RS3 370mm ones would just be comically too big and still require modification.

Yeah I know it was just a thread link I thought I'd pass on re the Audi shields....

In reality I wonder how big the shield actually needs to be to cover the tie rod ball, the lower ball & the ABS sensors from heat from the discs....??

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Deliveries continue. Today was some beautiful Technafit brake lines, and some Red Rubber Grease.

1620672740060.png

Tomorrow will be a big one. Calipers, along with the G2 paint kit, and both F\R Powerstop Z26 pads come in. Will be able to get those bad boys painted, and have plenty of time to cure. Re-ordered fluid and the power bleeder should be here by Thursday, and should be good to go for the swap on Saturday.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I might end up abandoning this project :(

As this was a purely cosmetic upgrade for me, I'm not happy with the way the calipers turned out. A bristle from the brush I was using (not the one it came with as I've heard that was bad) got stuck in the paint right on the face of the caliper, and trying to correct that just made it worse. Now it just looks like it has herpes. The paint on the other one is a bit uneven, and just doesn't look that good overall.

I'm going to let them cure the 24 hours and reassess the situation. But I have a feeling I may be returning a bunch of parts, and listing a set of unused Macan calipers in the classifieds :(

20210512_192059.jpg

20210512_192117.jpg

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
You can easily sand em down by hand, and if you still want to try painting them I'd just use VHT caliper spray paint. Much easier to use IMO. If not you can always have em powder coated for around 200 bucks.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why not just sand it down and reapply using thinner coats?

I thought about it. But honestly, I just don't feel like it. It would require another $70 G2 kit since the paint is only good for 4 - 6 hours once mixed. I did coats as thin as I could. The first 2 - 3 coats went on fine.

I know I've never painted something myself and been fully happy with the way it came out. So I knew this was a possibility lol.