GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
The grease gets on the pistons, which get pushed back into the seals, so probably not the same as greasing seals and pistons, but it isn't dumping oil on the engine. It did make a difference for me.
It probably does help to some degree, and I know it is not the same, these just make me laugh so any excuse to post them... :) They are probably staged, but you just know that someone somewhere has actually done this, which is why it is so funny.
I just really think if you are going to take the time and effort to do all that, then you mine as well pull them out completely to clean/lube them properly. It really isn't that much more work/mess, and would provide better results for a longer time.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It probably does help to some degree, and I know it is not the same, these just make me laugh so any excuse to post them... :) They are probably staged, but you just know that someone somewhere has actually done this, which is why it is so funny.
I just really think if you are going to take the time and effort to do all that, then you mine as well pull them out completely to clean/lube them properly. It really isn't that much more work/mess, and would provide better results for a longer time.
Totally agree, and I will do it next time I'm doing a full fluid replacement, but I wanted to see if it was worth doing.

spaparizos

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
I haven't received it yet as they are made to order. And just to make sure you know that I did get it for the OEM calipers.

I have a track weekend in early March and will report back.
Perhaps we need a different thread on them to not hijack the macan one then :)

I am curious on what you find out. For example, do they work well, with what tires and what rear pads. Are they street able at all, or what is the bedding needed if one has the ds2500 for the street and swaps the fronts to ds3.12 for the track.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Self adjusting hydraulic brakes (read: every modern auto brake system) basically have an open port to the brake fluid reservoir in the master cylinder when the pedal is all the way up. this allows fluid to expand back into the reservoir when brakes are hot (and the fluid expands) and to allow the pistons to stay extended more to allow for pad wear (which requires more fluid in the system).

As the pedal is depressed, the very first thing that happens is the piston closes this port. Only once this port is closed can the system begin building pressure - otherwise that fluid would just go back up to your reservoir. So, when you begin depressing the brake pedal, you go from an open system to a closed system. At that point, fluid won't leak out (much) because to do so air would have to enter the system somewhere else, or there would have to be some significant expansion. With the brake pedal depressed, it's like putting your finger over a straw (or a pipette, for those who remember high school chemistry) - no fluid is going to leak out.
worked perfectly when I removed the calipers yesterday. Not a drop from the brake lines on the car.

B1mmer

I got the calipers back from the powder coater today. The two stage metallic look less red than I would like, but I think it’ll look good when I get them bolted together and the decals on them:

- AB

EpicTech

Go Kart Champion
^It's gonna look good man

Raguvian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I put some music on today and knocked out the red rubber grease in the calipers. It went together pretty easily and I just did one at a time so I knew exactly where each piston went back.

On a side note, does anyone know the torque rating for the 4 e-torx bolts that hold the two halves together? Are they one time use? I'm thinking it might be worth just removing them to paint the calipers so I don't have to try to mask around them.

Overcast

Car(s)
mk7 GLI
After thinking about it some, I’m having the powder coater do these in a different color. If I went to Syracuse University, they’d be great. Ha ha. I decided to go with this: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/UPS-1506/lollypop-red

See the picture of the AMG caliper in the bottom of the listing. - AB
The sample looks great but take a look at the finished product pics. I was looking at that site awhile back and like
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/239/illusion-violet-with-clear-vision-top-coat

Many of their samples are awesome but then the actual finish looks much worse. Also, I wonder how it will stand up to the heat of braking.

B1mmer

The sample looks great but take a look at the finished product pics. I was looking at that site awhile back and like
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/239/illusion-violet-with-clear-vision-top-coat

Many of their samples are awesome but then the actual finish looks much worse. Also, I wonder how it will stand up to the heat of braking.
Yeah. I talked to the powder coater who uses there powders exclusively and says that this one he’s done on calipers for track cars and it’s held up well. If you look at the pictures for the color I chose, all of the example pictures look great but the krinkle coat wheel finish. The powder coater said that if the base coat used is the suggested aluminum (which he uses for a lot of the brighter colors), it will come out really nice. We’ll see. I’ll post up some pictures when they’re finished. - AB

Overcast

Car(s)
mk7 GLI
Yeah. I talked to the powder coater who uses there powders exclusively and says that this one he’s done on calipers for track cars and it’s held up well. If you look at the pictures for the color I chose, all of the example pictures look great but the krinkle coat wheel finish. The powder coater said that if the base coat used is the suggested aluminum (which he uses for a lot of the brighter colors), it will come out really nice. We’ll see. I’ll post up some pictures when they’re finished. - AB
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics! Yeah, the pics of the wheels were concerning but glad you're not getting that :)

Raguvian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
@B1mmer do you know the torque for the bolts that hold the two halves together and if the bolts are one time use? I see you took yours apart.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

B1mmer

@B1mmer do you know the torque for the bolts that hold the two halves together and if the bolts are one time use? I see you took yours apart.
I don’t. I haven’t put them back together as they are back at the powder coater. I would not think they are single use bolts. I’m going to just put them together based upon feel using some blue locktite. I remember them taking a decent amount of torque to remove. - AB