GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Console door issue

66RBS

Car(s)
2003 Jag. XK8
Re 2016 Gti the console door that covers the USB port seems to be off the track. Nothing seems broken but the door closes roughly and won’t latch at the bottom. I can see it is not square in it’s opening. Any tips?

Searched archives and only found issues with USB cable interfering

Randy

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Mine didn't fit correctly after removing it (and half of the rest of the interior) to install the SuperPin. I spend the better part of two or three months randomly pushing around on it, cussing, debating taking it to the dealer, selling the whole car, etc and finally one day, it just snapped back into place. That SuperPin is dying in there.

66RBS

Car(s)
2003 Jag. XK8
Mine didn't fit correctly after removing it (and half of the rest of the interior) to install the SuperPin. I spend the better part of two or three months randomly pushing around on it, cussing, debating taking it to the dealer, selling the whole car, etc and finally one day, it just snapped back into place. That SuperPin is dying in there.
What is a SuperPin?

I guess I will try to snap it back into place, hopefully not breaking it

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
What is a SuperPin?

I guess I will try to snap it back into place, hopefully not breaking it
If you have a DSG, it's not important. If you have a manual, it replaces a plastic pin that holds the shifter body together with an aluminum one that takes out some of the slop in the interior shifter body. It requires removing the center console.

Jiggle, shake, stuff that thing back in there until it works. You can pop the panel around the hvac controls either all the way off, or just loosen it to get a little more wiggle room. There's a pin on the back of the cubby that it slides into, but that's easy to type, and not so easy to actually execute, at least for me.

66RBS

Car(s)
2003 Jag. XK8
So I have got the door loose but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to disconnect the 2 electrical connectors on the back. One for USB and one for speaker jack.

I am sure there is a locking pin to press or something but I cannot find it. I don't want to brute force pull it or I will be sure to break something. I searched YouTube but no details on how the connector unlocks. Any tips would be appreciated.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
So I have got the door loose but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to disconnect the 2 electrical connectors on the back. One for USB and one for speaker jack.

I am sure there is a locking pin to press or something but I cannot find it. I don't want to brute force pull it or I will be sure to break something. I searched YouTube but no details on how the connector unlocks. Any tips would be appreciated.
This guy fumbles around with it starting around 3:05, I think it's got a locking clamp you have to pull up a smidge on the bottom.

66RBS

Car(s)
2003 Jag. XK8
Well I finally got it fixed. Finally got the 2 electrical connectors removed.
Door didn't fit the day I bought it about 10 days ago. Turned out to be a combination of broken tab on bottom and spring mechanism on passenger side. Plastic Tab was bent but there so I strengthened with super glue. Cleaned up the repair with a Dremel. Spring mechanism hade become unsnapped so reassembled correctly. I adjusted the spring clips at the bottom of the cubby so they would grip the tabs better.

After a couple of trial fits I finally got it to snap into place. Perfectly aligned and functioning door.