GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Console buttons used for garage door and dash cam

Dustinict

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6M
I repurposed a module for the right-side console buttons that were blank in the 2019 SE model. I made the top button into a garage door button by tapping into my garage door opener remote to the module pins 9 and 10. I then used the other two buttons to make mode selections for the dash cam. It can either be Drive mode, where ACC powers the cam. Or it can be Park mode, where constant power goes to the cam. I had to use low trigger relays to sense the button presses and drive a latching 2 channel relay to light up the button and switch the power flow between sources. I used a Cricut to make stencils for the buttons, sanded them down to the white, then sprayed them in a Matte black. It matches the console pretty well.
I didn't take pictures of the module I created but can remove it and post them if anyone is interested.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220416_192651.jpg
    20220416_192651.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 451

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I repurposed a module for the right-side console buttons that were blank in the 2019 SE model. I made the top button into a garage door button by tapping into my garage door opener remote to the module pins 9 and 10. I then used the other two buttons to make mode selections for the dash cam. It can either be Drive mode, where ACC powers the cam. Or it can be Park mode, where constant power goes to the cam. I had to use low trigger relays to sense the button presses and drive a latching 2 channel relay to light up the button and switch the power flow between sources. I used a Cricut to make stencils for the buttons, sanded them down to the white, then sprayed them in a Matte black. It matches the console pretty well.
I didn't take pictures of the module I created but can remove it and post them if anyone is interested.
Cheers!

This is something I'm actually very interested in.

My car came with a DoubleApex garage button installed, but no module. So I just have a button, with maybe 2 - 3' feet of cable with a red & yellow wire in it.

1650482010245.png

Is there some way I could possibly wire that up to a remote to operate my garage? I have one of these in my car I'd love to be able to ditch and use that button.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YC3YBJS/

Dustinict

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6M
This is something I'm actually very interested in.

My car came with a DoubleApex garage button installed, but no module. So I just have a button, with maybe 2 - 3' feet of cable with a red & yellow wire in it.

View attachment 246592

Is there some way I could possibly wire that up to a remote to operate my garage? I have one of these in my car I'd love to be able to ditch and use that button.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YC3YBJS/
The Apex switch, if the same as the factory switch, is just a single pole switch. My garage door remote (like most of them) is just a couple momentary switches. So I opened the remote and soldered wires from the console button to the garage remote switch, and routed the wires into the glove box. That way I have access to the battery and can use the remote if the button were to fail for some reason. I did it this way so I could easily remove the remote as well.

Attachments

• 20220420_143040.jpg
    20220420_143040.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 131

Dustinict

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6M
Oh, and the module I was talking about creating was for the selection of the other two buttons and the lighting of the amber LEDs. The white light comes from the left-side buttons module.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Huh.

Not sure why I didn't think of something so simple.

I grabbed my old opener, cracked it open, and attached the wires to the switch. Didn't even bother soldering them, just stripped the wires and wrapped them around the leads for the switch. Drilled a small hole in the back of the cubby since I didn't feel like routing it to the glovebox, and stuck the remote in there for easy access. Can finally use my button to open my garage!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah did this type also back in 2019 when I got the rabbit, my blanks were none opp so I just grabbed some on eBay for like 15bucks…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUybhkoAJKV/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

On the left side the middle button is also none operable but I was able to Dremel it out and glue in the micro momentary switch for my air ride quick switch.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
If you look back through the older threads, I made a little DIY on how to wire up those buttons for a garage door opener. I think it cost me less than $5 for the parts not including the garage door opener. You can use the buttons for whatever you want after you get the momentary switch in place. Garage Door Button Mod

Dustinict

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6M
If you look back through the older threads, I made a little DIY on how to wire up those buttons for a garage door opener. I think it cost me less than $5 for the parts not including the garage door opener. You can use the buttons for whatever you want after you get the momentary switch in place. Garage Door Button Mod
I considered using tactile switches but wanted something more factory looking. My buttons light up with the others and are amber when the selected button for supplying power to the dash cam. However, my approach did require additional work such as creating a switch module and pinning a factory connector to connect to the right-side module.

dmcgrath009

Ready to race!
How did you do the logo/icon on the button?