GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering B9 A4 caliper retrofit

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
So one of the brake upgrades I have seen theorized and test fitted but not actually done before is the b9 a4 calipers. These calipers are supposedly similar to the tts (both made for 338x30 rotor and same 4x38mm piston size is what I’ve heard).

Issue is when fitted to the mk7, only 320mm rotors from a b8 a4 will fit. Will running a pad made for the 338mm rotor cause issues like noise or bad brake behavior with the 320mm rotor?

Another thing is one kit I’ve seen tested fitted required milling down mounting point on the calipers to fit the rotor on a GTI. Another seller did not modify the calipers but said 3mm spacers were required for the rotor to fit the GTI. I do not have a GTI, I have a golf which has a steel hub. On the 17/18z kits from rotor labs, I’ve heard they had to also mill down caliper mounting points (they said 1/4”?) to make it fit on the GTI. So with that information, would the A4 caliper be likely to be straight bolt on to my steel hub without modifying mounting point or using rotor spacers?

This is potentially a cheaper option than the TTS calipers but with similar piston area (tho I have not had exact confirmation on A4 or TTS caliper piston sizes)

Thanks in advance. If I end up doing this, I’ll do a write up.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Never mind, it’s seems the piston sizes come in 4x42mm and 4x44mm for the A4 which are quite large

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
31DB5D5D-F80D-47A5-8565-B2C54E034CE5.jpeg

Bosh been running these front and massive rears for over 2 years.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
I have some 6 piston RSQ3 calipers/rotors on the front of my GTI

SVTunit

Ready to race!
got anymore info on the rsq3 kit. ive got some b9 rs5 calipers sitting here and they look very similar. i thought rsq3 had the same calipers as an rs3 but those look different.
thanks
The RS5 calipers look the same, but the piston and bleed screw configuration is different. Mine are pre-production calipers, but I've also had them for a year so I think the RSQ3 is in production now.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
The RS5 calipers look the same, but the piston and bleed screw configuration is different. Mine are pre-production calipers, but I've also had them for a year so I think the RSQ3 is in production now.
what size are those rotors?
i test fitted the b9 rs5 caliper to an mqb rs3 spindle ( more clearance than r/s3/gti) and while the rotor did not hit the balljoint the caliper bracket interfered with the ball joint. just an fyi to anyone. there would be no chance that b9 rs5 rotors and calipers would work on a regular spindle

SVTunit

Ready to race!
what size are those rotors?
i test fitted the b9 rs5 caliper to an mqb rs3 spindle ( more clearance than r/s3/gti) and while the rotor did not hit the balljoint the caliper bracket interfered with the ball joint. just an fyi to anyone. there would be no chance that b9 rs5 rotors and calipers would work on a regular spindle
Rotor is Ø375mm. The RSQ3 rotor and caliper bolt right up to the MK7 knuckle as they are both on the MQB platform.

1575389958227.png

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Rotor is Ø375mm. The RSQ3 rotor and caliper bolt right up to the MK7 knuckle as they are both on the MQB platform.

View attachment 160823
weird cause everything i am seeing shows a 365mm wavy rotor as the oem size and the calipers look like the rs3 calipers not the b9 style of caliper
edit.................i just found a 2020 rsq3 review stating 375mm rotors so it looks like they are not the same as the older models with wavy 365 mm setup

Last edited:

SVTunit

Ready to race!
weird cause everything i am seeing shows a 365mm wavy rotor as the oem size and the calipers look like the rs3 calipers not the b9 style of caliper
edit.................i just found a 2020 rsq3 review stating 375mm rotors so it looks like they are not the same as the older models with wavy 365 mm setup
Yes, this is an all new caliper/rotor for the RSQ3.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
I'm assuming with a 375mm rotor this is 19" wheel territory, maybe some 18s designed for bbk compatibility?

Actually, I am using the stock 18" Dallas rims with 15mm spacers for my winter set-up and they clear the calipers. (y)