GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering a new R to replace a 20 year old Boxster S

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
Can you change the radio volume instantly while driving without taking your eyes off the road? I'm not being sarcastic I'm curious if being able to do that is one of the shortcuts you said were possible.

On the wheel ya. If you own the car for a week, I’m sure you can on the bottom the screen as well

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On the wheel ya. If you own the car for a week, I’m sure you can on the bottom the screen as well
On the wheel with the haptic button but it's not a mute button is it? Or just push and hold it to decrease volume? I would still prefer a volume button that I can twist instantly to shut the audio off. I'm sure VW will add buttons next year just like Honda did after the complaints.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
You can program 4 or shortcuts (out of a list of 10 or so? Everything from sound/hvac/esc/start-stop etc. turning the esc off for example takes 2 seconds.

many of the reviews are by people who are ignorant to what it can do and how configurable it is. Savage Geese, for example, did a review kinda joking it took 30 minutes to select driving mode and turning off the esc. That’s just being ignorant to the car is all.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
On the wheel with the haptic button but it's not a mute button is it? Or just push and hold it to decrease volume? I would still prefer a volume button that I can twist instantly to shut the audio off. I'm sure VW will add buttons next year just like Honda did after the complaints.
Ya I’d prefer a volume knob too. But after watching many reviews on how to use the system ... and then briefly operating it ... I can tell I will adapt to it just fine. Such is life. This car is great.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
On the wheel with the haptic button but it's not a mute button is it? Or just push and hold it to decrease volume?
You can push/tap/slide for volume and I believe a little volume bar shows up in your gauges so you don’t have to move your eyes to the infotainment screen.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Tesla got and continues to get a ton of hate for having all controls on the touchscreen for the Model. 3, but you talk to any Tesla owner and they just say “yea it took a week to get used to but now I don’t even think about it.” I think it will be the same for the new R/GTI.

Frankly though I almost want people to keep hating so maybe I can pick one up in two years for MSRP. The Golf R seems like incredible value.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
I agree with this 100% I loved the interior, wasn’t crazy about the colors of the leather though.
I like the color, but that blue strip/patch is whatever. The interior overall looked great and felt great

1F9EC244-8FAD-4F25-926E-4D4C6B5DE354.jpeg

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
Out of the three colors, I think white looks best by far (it’s all subjective). But the greys/blues just work so well on the white. These cars look so much better in person.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
sorry, I meant in the autobahn Gti I sat in
No worries. The seats in the R are super amazing (feel/support). I can’t see anyone not loving these seats.

couple things I noticed

the sunroof is pretty fast. You swipe and it opens. Then when it stops, you swipe again and it goes back a bit more. I’d say it opens about 70%. Love that you can pull the shade closed with the sunroof open. Super simple operation. I like it better than a button/switch

the back hatch you need to raise up half way or so or gravity will make it go down. Little heavy (spoiler?), but not terrible.