GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering a new R to replace a 20 year old Boxster S

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Don’t be salty, my iPad is difficult to type on lmao
Oh, no, I agree with you that the seats in ABs are awful. Doesn’t help that half of the new cars are yellow too.

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 Boxster (6MT) and a 2019 Golf R (6MT) on my side of the garage. I find them to be a very matched set. The 981 has the better transmission and generally sounds/feels more alive and engaging than the R. The R feels quicker and more refined than the 981; and the R corners well enough that I doubt it would have trouble keeping up with the 981 on a really twisty road.
I’ve occasionally thought about selling one of them to simplify the parking situation, but I can’t decide which one to sell. The 981 in my spec is irreplaceable and the R is just a much better fit for 80% of my driving. I doubt the OP would miss the Boxster too much. The R or GTI would probably be the perfect alternative.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I had a 986 S back in the day. Removed the snorkel and it sounded amazing. It was a fun car with a proper alignment and 245 width tires front and rear. Really got rid of the understeer.

I like my current GTI as much and I'd guess the new R will destroy my GTI.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
The steering wheel controls and infotainment isn’t hard at all guys. I’m actually starting to like how customizable it is.

my biggest gripe is I can’t figure out how to keep my gauge settings on the dash as it always defaults when switching driving modes.

Other than that, it’s good...for me at least.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The steering wheel controls and infotainment isn’t hard at all guys. I’m actually starting to like how customizable it is.

my biggest gripe is I can’t figure out how to keep my gauge settings on the dash as it always defaults when switching driving modes.

Other than that, it’s good...for me at least.

Boomers start raging in 3. 2, 1.......🤣

Jk, that's good to hear. Hopefully VW can keep improving on it.

Last edited:

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
Oh and the ambient lighting is so well done (and also highly customizable).

for the reviews who said they accidentally hit haptic buttons on the wheel while driving...I don’t get it. In hindsight, many of the reviewers spent no time learning the system as it’s pretty straight forward after a couple days.