GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering a new R to replace a 20 year old Boxster S

BoxterS

Car(s)
'01 Boxster S
We've had the Boxster since we picked it up new at the factory. It was a summer-only car and lived almost its entire life in the mountains, 13 years in the northern Adirondacks, 4 years along the front range of Colorado, the last three in Naples FL, where it now is a winter-only car. Driving here ain't fun, compared to days of old. Nothing but crowded suburban 6 lane boulevards, twin left turn lanes at every intersection, the roads jammed up all day with snowbirds in their SUVs, and the huge contingent of service vehicles and huge diesel work trucks.

Top-down trips are no fun.

So my wife refuses to ride in the Boxster.

It has 250 hp, 6 speed manual, weighs 2800 lbs., and will do 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. It tracks like a Porsche. It's low to the ground. I'd like to know how the R will feel on a twisty compared to the old Boxster S.

Am thinking of getting the R with manual, and maybe outfitting it with some sort of speed kit upgrade. Will a kit void the generous warranty? Is a kit worth it, if voiding warranty?

Last edited:

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I'd like to know how the R will feel on a twisty compared to the old Boxster S.
This year I went from a 2016 Cayman S to a GTI Autobahn for track purposes. I spent a few thousand dollars upgrading the suspension and find the GTI performs at least as well as my Cayman on the curves on track. Still not as powerful even with a stage 2 tune but just as much fun. And more comfortable on the road.
Bern

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Can’t vouch for R on a track, but I would advise keeping the Porsche if you get the Golf.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
2001 Boxster S
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 5.2 sec
100 mph: 13.6 sec
1/4 mile: 13.8 sec @ 101 mph

2022 Golf R
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.9 sec
100 mph: 10.0 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.5 sec @ 111 mph

Are you really sure you need to tune it? Just saying, it will be faster, by a pretty large margin. I'd say the basic things like motor, transmission and dogbone mounts, sway bars, tires, brake fluid and pads would have a more significant impact on track performance than tuning the motor. Boxsters aren't all that fast, but they handle well and are really easy to drive at their limits and are pretty forgiving. We don't know the cooling properties of the Mk8 yet, but depending on how long and hot your track sessions are, you're likely going to need to address oil cooling issues on the Golf R too.

BoxterS

Car(s)
'01 Boxster S
This year I went from a 2016 Cayman S to a GTI Autobahn for track purposes. I spent a few thousand dollars upgrading the suspension and find the GTI performs at least as well as my Cayman on the curves on track. Still not as powerful even with a stage 2 tune but just as much fun. And more comfortable on the road.
Bern
Thanks for the news, B. Please give me the specifics of the upgrades to the Mk8 GTI. It may be a shorter wait, by far, for me to get the '22 goat, than the R. Is the package you got spelled out in your sig line?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Not too far from me in Ft Myers.

You'll have to put in a new clutch if you tune it, but the tune may only void certain parts of the warranty. Ft Myers VW replaced a rear shock for me no problem. I have a stage 1 tune and told them so. If I was having a problem with the motor or transmission it may not have been that easy though.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Thanks for the news, B. Please give me the specifics of the upgrades to the Mk8 GTI. It may be a shorter wait, by far, for me to get the '22 goat, than the R. Is the package you got spelled out in your sig line?
Mechanically, there are very few differences in the Mk7 and Mk8 GTI. I bet the previous post was talking about a Mk7, but yes, you won't be able to find a new Mk7 GTI anymore, it's only Mk8's.

The R however did change a decent bit between Mk7 and Mk8 models, namely a new rear differential, a new turbo and a switch from non sunroofs to standard sunroof. As noted, if you tune either, you will need to install a new clutch, which is a great time to replace the stock mounts with something stiffer too.

GTI's are available now, although just the SE and Autobahn trim, no base S models have landed yet. The R is still a few months away, I have one reserved, but haven't been able to place an actual order yet, I'm guessing we're still two or three months out.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Yes, it's pretty much as in the sig line, though I should update to add Stage 2 and oil cooler. And it's a 2017 Mk7.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
We've had the Boxster since we picked it up new at the factory. It was a summer-only car and lived almost its entire life in the mountains, 13 years in the northern Adirondacks, 4 years along the front range of Colorado, the last three in Naples FL, where it now is a winter-only car. Driving here ain't fun, compared to days of old. Nothing but crowded suburban 6 lane boulevards, twin left turn lanes at every intersection, the roads jammed up all day with snowbirds in their SUVs, and the huge contingent of service vehicles and huge diesel work trucks.

Top-down trips are no fun.

So my wife refuses to ride in the Boxster.

It has 250 hp, 6 speed manual, weighs 2800 lbs., and will do 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. It tracks like a Porsche. It's low to the ground. I'd like to know how the R will feel on a twisty compared to the old Boxster S.

Am thinking of getting the R with manual, and maybe outfitting it with some sort of speed kit upgrade. Will a kit void the generous warranty? Is a kit worth it, if voiding warranty?
Well this is something I can chime in on. I drove an 01 986 for about 5 years before a short stint in purgatory in a leased accord and now I drive a 17 MT R. While my box was not an S I think I can still relate. Also my wife hated driving in the car.

The R is much faster around the twisties and just as fun but in a different way. Very little out there is going to make you feel as sticky as a mid engine Porsche. I particularly enjoyed on-ramps. There is a lot more roll in the R but your going to be going faster. There are lots of suspension parts you can add to adjust the feel but again it's never going to be the same as a mid engine car.

I thoroughly enjoy the R because it's suits my lifestyle. I'm not in a place where I can own two cars so it's the perfect for the track and soccer practice.

All that said I do miss the shit out of the Porsche.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
If you want to tune your R, go DSG. Son 2 has a stage 1 tune and a south bend 3 daily clutch. It reeks of aftermarket. I’ve never been super happy after the tune and clutch upgrade. If I did that to a $50k R I’d be freaking out.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
Have a 2018 R and love it, but every review of the new R says the touchscreen sucks. I will stick with my 2018. Manual while you can!

thats not true. Some people have reviewed they actually like it. I only played with it for like 10 mins but found it fine. Most of the reviewers don’t even understand there are shortcuts and a lot is customizable.

I can’t wait to learn mine more. The car is awesome

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
thats not true. Some people have reviewed they actually like it. I only played with it for like 10 mins but found it fine. Most of the reviewers don’t even understand there are shortcuts and a lot is customizable.

I can’t wait to learn mine more. The car is awesome
Can you change the radio volume instantly while driving without taking your eyes off the road? I'm not being sarcastic I'm curious if being able to do that is one of the shortcuts you said were possible.