GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consensus 1.8T AT Best Tune for Daily Driver?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I haven't seen them that cheap, but maybe I haven't looked that hard, I think I paid $12 each for standard iridium. But like Tigeo says, at stage 1 level it's not going to be that demanding of a schedule.
Rock Auto. I think my last set was about $40 delivered and have worked fine at stock gap with my IS38.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yep - if I'm pulling plugs they are getting replaced for the few bucks it costs. The obsession with gapping/re-gapping....stop the madness. On a stage 1 1.8, stock plugs/stock gap. On an IS38 1.8....stock plugs/gap..hahahaha
I've been doing the same. If they have 10K or more on them and I'm pulling them for whatever reason, I'm changing them. Fuck regapping the plugs when people are saying the ground straps are breaking off in their engines. It's cheap insurance. Plugs can be cheaper than an oil change. And use a torque wrench, you animals.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've been doing the same. If they have 10K or more on them and I'm pulling them for whatever reason, I'm changing them. Fuck regapping the plugs when people are saying the ground straps are breaking off in their engines. It's cheap insurance. Plugs can be cheaper than an oil change. And use a torque wrench, you animals.
Agreed - the reason the fucking straps are breaking is the re-gapping obsession...gap it once, use it, toss it. You mean uggaduggas aren't precise enough?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Imo from on track and DD

IE did a solid job with their 1.8 Tune and DSG Tune.

Especially when coupled with an is20/dp

I have zero complaints and it does exactly what I need it to do.

Uni tronic is another good example

I have not read the thread, but hopefully ECUTEK support comes soon. I'd love to be able push 350+ through an alltrack or the Atlas.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The notion of additional maintenance or more frequent maintenance is un-warranted on a stage 1 1.8. Think about it - at 240hp you are basically a stock GTI or less than a stock R power levels and those 2 require the same maintenance and parts (plugs) as the 1.8. Just tune/drive.
Yep. My stock plugs were good for 60k miles on stage 1 (57k of those tuned)

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
1644509719389.png

However, not to open this can of worms, but .032 isnt stock gap?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Imo from on track and DD

IE did a solid job with their 1.8 Tune and DSG Tune.

Especially when coupled with an is20/dp

I have zero complaints and it does exactly what I need it to do.

Uni tronic is another good example

I have not read the thread, but hopefully ECUTEK support comes soon. I'd love to be able push 350+ through an alltrack or the Atlas.
EcuTek is already supporting it - you can get EQT to tune your wagon (just to check your ECU's box code). You can easily push 350+ today with an IS38 and United Motorsport.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven't seen them that cheap, but maybe I haven't looked that hard, I think I paid $12 each for standard iridium. But like Tigeo says, at stage 1 level it's not going to be that demanding of a schedule.
Rock Auto

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The notion of additional maintenance or more frequent maintenance is un-warranted on a stage 1 1.8. Think about it - at 240hp you are basically a stock GTI or less than a stock R power levels and those 2 require the same maintenance and parts (plugs) as the 1.8. Just tune/drive.
I always have over maintained any vehicle I've owned whether stock or not because it is my office and a necessity to do my business.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I always have over maintained any vehicle I've owned whether stock or not because it is my office and a necessity to do my business.
Sure but folks always say all this extra stuff is necessary b/c you tune your car - it's not necessary for most folks that have tunes but sure, maintain to your heart's content! I do!

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
EcuTek is already supporting it - you can get EQT to tune your wagon (just to check your ECU's box code). You can easily push 350+ today with an IS38 and United Motorsport.
Good to know. I'll holla at Stratified and see if they want to put something together for us. Been focused on 2.0 side for a while so im behind on the 1.8 for sure.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Good to know. I'll holla at Stratified and see if they want to put something together for us. Been focused on 2.0 side for a while so im behind on the 1.8 for sure.
The OTS tunes are v. good for the 1.8. Cobb is apparently looking at getting AP support now and if that happens, then of course the flood gates of racerboi tuners opens. Reflect can custom tune them. Then of course O.G. United. At his point, there is no real reason for custom if you are just running the OE IS20/38s with OTS bolt-ons. It's when you want to push the IS38 and need more fuel or want to run E that it comes into play. My opinion of course.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
The OTS tunes are v. good for the 1.8. Cobb is apparently looking at getting AP support now and if that happens, then of course the flood gates of racerboi tuners opens. Reflect can custom tune them. Then of course O.G. United. At his point, there is no real reason for custom if you are just running the OE IS20/38s with OTS bolt-ons. It's when you want to push the IS38 and need more fuel or want to run E that it comes into play. My opinion of course.
I would be interested in Cobb though I suspect they'll diss the 09G box code like eurodyne. Hppe I'm wrong.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There are multiple other forums on here that state an aluminum billet is better for NVH on the dogbone than plastic or rubber so I'm confused by this claim.
Agreed; most of the complaints I've read are with the poly inserts. But to be fair, most of those inserts are going all the way to the upper portion so similar to what combining the upper/lower metal inserts would be like which many say have lots of NVH.