GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consensus 1.8T AT Best Tune for Daily Driver?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Don't beat me up too hard, but some $55 eBay special... I saw only the cheapies had this big poly bushing and I thought "huh, maybe that with my automatic wouldn't be bad" and honestly I've been shocked with how much it's helped firmness but also vibrations at the same time. I just wish there was a brand name one to compare it to, but didn't find any brand name with the big bushing... Now, since it's aluminum I wouldn't trust it on 450lb/ft+ IS38 e85 builds, but for a 1.8 AT with up to IS20 I think it can be trusted. I've seen pics on here of stock and expensive aftermarket ones that have been broken too, so nothing is certain anyway. But honestly, for a $25 insert and $55 arm I'm happy!
I can't find any of the common aftermarket ones that don't use a spherical bearing - APR, 034, ECS all have them. I like the design you have with the poly. You need *some* give in these parts or other things are going to break is my thought.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I can't find any of the common aftermarket ones that don't use a spherical bearing - APR, 034, ECS all have them. I like the design you have with the poly. You need *some* give in these parts or other things are going to break is my thought.
Yeah, that's what I thought, it looked like an interesting and smart design. Of course, there is a lot of cheap eBay stuff that flat out sucks but this may be a nice exception!

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I have also read/heard that the install process and how that bolt is tightened etc. of these inserts can be related to the NVH....who knows. The real thing here is NVH is 100% subjective and without full-nerd vibration analysis etc., hard to actually say when you compare online comments...one man's "tons of NVH" is another's "what NVH"..hahahaha. My APR one certainly causes some (it has to) but mainly that is in reverse (DSG).

Which pendulum arm are you using?
But as far as subjective, well, there is vibes so intense your hands go tingly from the steering wheel, LOL. It was almost that bad with the metal one I tried and I gave it a good 1000 miles to try to break in. But I think I'll try it again now that I have more miles on the car and have that pendulum to help absorb too.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
But as far as subjective, well, there is vibes so intense your hands go tingly from the steering wheel, LOL. It was almost that bad with the metal one I tried and I gave it a good 1000 miles to try to break in. But I think I'll try it again now that I have more miles on the car and have that pendulum to help absorb too.
Wait, you are standard auto/1.8/fwd right?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Keep in mind most inserts do not fill the Upper voids, like the hybrid or PowerFlex inserts do. You have to go stage 2 for most dogbone inserts to fill the upper voids.

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
Hey guys, just thought I would provide an update. I got my APR stage 1 tune 87 octane, 034 lower dog bone insert, 034 rear sway bar (25.4mm) & 034 end links installed on Saturday. So far I am loving it. I opted out of getting the upper dog bone insert to avoid additional NVH. Only spots I notice NVH right now are right before and after coming to a complete stop or when setting off from a stop. There is also NVH if I am in tiptronic or sport mode at a stop which seems a bit odd but I've always noticed the car takes on a different "attitude" when switching to these modes at a stop. No NVH whatsoever in reverse. Downshifts are much better and less clunky but 1st gear upshifts can still be harsh with accompanying wheel hop if I am pushing it (when I did this I was going over the crest of an intersection so maybe that has something to do with it). Tune and sway bar are awesome and really nothing negative to say about those as I am assuming the NVH is from the dogbone, and honestly it is not that bad at all. Only the tiptronic NVH at a stop is kind of annoying to have to go over to "D" temporarily to get rid of it (and then back in to tiptronic when the 09G wants to be in 5th-6th at like 35-40mph).

I also ordered an OBDeleven that should be coming in Friday so looking forward to making some changes with that over the weekend. Thanks for all the advice, now I just have to avoid the temptation to go all out on a downpipe (installer said this would fail visual & emmissions inspections in DE though. Anyone know anything about that?) & bigger turbo lol. But if anything for now I think I will just be playing around with OBDeleven and possible some minor (and lower cost) QoL modifications like blue tint side view mirrors, better paddle shifters, K&N intake air filter, etc.

Oh and a weird tidbit after a got my car back, the infotainment was dimmed and even stayed on with the key out. Thankfully I noticed before pulling away and the tech did a capacitive discharge on the battery which fixed the issue. They said they had never heard or seen of this so thought I would mention it. Did the battery get overcharged from the trickle charger or something?

omer333

Passed Driver's Ed
Sometimes I feel like sending a message to Integrated Engineering and saying “Hey, I’m local. If you ever want a test-subject for an Mk7 FWD Sportwagen with Tiptronic, I’m your guy!”

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Wouldn't mind being a test mule for any of them. APR is 2 hours away and Reflect is 5. I doubt too much brain power is going towards the 1.8 in the near future though.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Sometimes I feel like sending a message to Integrated Engineering and saying “Hey, I’m local. If you ever want a test-subject for an Mk7 FWD Sportwagen with Tiptronic, I’m your guy!”
They are looking for FWD sportwagens actually. They're working on a revision for the odd 3 > 4 shift misfire that a lot of the FWD 09G guys seem to see on their tune. They put out a patch to correct it, which remind me I need to go do a few logs and test, but they mentioned they are looking to get more FWD models on their Dyno to revise the file.

omer333

Passed Driver's Ed
They are looking for FWD sportwagens actually. They're working on a revision for the odd 3 > 4 shift misfire that a lot of the FWD 09G guys seem to see on their tune. They put out a patch to correct it, which remind me I need to go do a few logs and test, but they mentioned they are looking to get more FWD models on their Dyno to revise the file.
How do I contact them? I don’t have a tune on my car, but if they need a car to test, but as long as they repair anything that breaks, then they can use it for testing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How do I contact them? I don’t have a tune on my car, but if they need a car to test, but as long as they repair anything that breaks, then they can use it for testing.
Here's their website to contact them. I don't know what their rules are if they break something when testing.