GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consensus 1.8T AT Best Tune for Daily Driver?

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Right on with your selections except for the coils. Coils won't give you any extra power unless you had a bad coil. A coil only needs to fire the plug.
Yeah, wasn't sure if he meant coilovers here, since he did mention rear sway bar, which is all absolutely accurate. VW Driver Gear springs are quite moderate, made to go with the factory dampers, so that and a rear sway bar is definitely best bang for the buck on the suspension.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
APR using minimal timing (so they can run more boost) is another reason why it's not optimal for ethanol. Unitronic runs "low" boost and more timing. With the JB4, you increase the boost to APR levels but get more timing so it's a win when on ethanol.

Disclaimer, a lot of Uni logs I've seen are not 100% clean in knock correction at full load like APR tunes very often are. You'll see a trend where Unitronic guys say it's normal to "add some ethanol". I don't agree with this ,but I also don't feel strongly that a little bit of KR is bad. If you see a log where there is KR, then it increases, that's bad. If you see some KR and it goes away.. maybe it comes back later and goes away.. that's "okay" to most people. The problem is without installing something like a modern det can device we don't know if there is real knock when the ecu pulls timing.
Would this be the same case for running a stack and an IS20 swap on APR stage 1? Thinking APR for CARB approval with a JB4 stack to swap to an IS20, or maybe 38.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Would this be the same case for running a stack and an IS20 swap on APR stage 1? Thinking APR for CARB approval with a JB4 stack to swap to an IS20, or maybe 38.
Can't deny CARB with APR, that's what I would do 100% in Cali, and I had thought the same thing stack-wise too... but I learned recently from @ZuMBLe and another good source on FB, that due to its low timing (which you can't adjust w/JB4) and already tons of boost (which a JB4 is good for) makes it the least appealing tune. I had thought that low timing to start with is good, and it is if you're willing to run your turbo a bit harder, but with no stack. Apparently Unitronic keeps a lot if the timing that you have no control over, and less boost, so you can add back in what boost you can with the stack.

Edit: Just repeated what @ZuMBLe said, hehe, but yes, even with IS20 and IS38 as far as APR, they already have the boost cranked so a JB4 is pretty much only good for logging at that point.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
so a JB4 is pretty much only good for logging at that point.
or possibly water (no meth) injection? wondering about this with any flash

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
There is no issues with the conventional auto at higher power levels. The only issues is that some tuners don’t know how to tune around the torque limiter built into the transmission tcu. I ran is20, upgraded hpfp, ethanol sensor and a flex fuel tune. I was running 28+ psi on e50 at the end with a JB4 stack. It was probably in the 330-340whp range. The car was about 3,600 lbs with me in it and I would pull away from Scatpacks and 5.0s. Not the 10spd though. Any stage 1 or stage 2 if you go downpipe will work great. I would just make sure the tuner has options for you in case you end up wanting more.
I used Reflect Tuning in North Carolina. His website sucks. Just trust me when I say he can do anything. I was going to go mpi and is38 next if I did not sell the car after nearly 6 years. Just call or email him. He can do a really nice stage 1 for you. He has a flash at home tool and emails the files.
The only other options for more than stage 1/2 would be EcuTek possibly from EQT or UM. Uni does is20 for me he auto, but I suspect it’s limited. A guy ran it in Central America at 6,000 plus elevation and ran a 7.5 second 60-100. He is now on Reflect is38 and he runs a 5.5

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
There is no issues with the conventional auto at higher power levels. The only issues is that some tuners don’t know how to tune around the torque limiter built into the transmission tcu. I ran is20, upgraded hpfp, ethanol sensor and a flex fuel tune. I was running 28+ psi on e50 at the end with a JB4 stack. It was probably in the 330-340whp range. The car was about 3,600 lbs with me in it and I would pull away from Scatpacks and 5.0s. Not the 10spd though. Any stage 1 or stage 2 if you go downpipe will work great. I would just make sure the tuner has options for you in case you end up wanting more.
I used Reflect Tuning in North Carolina. His website sucks. Just trust me when I say he can do anything. I was going to go mpi and is38 next if I did not sell the car after nearly 6 years. Just call or email him. He can do a really nice stage 1 for you. He has a flash at home tool and emails the files.
The only other options for more than stage 1/2 would be EcuTek possibly from EQT or UM. Uni does is20 for me he auto, but I suspect it’s limited. A guy ran it in Central America at 6,000 plus elevation and ran a 7.5 second 60-100. He is now on Reflect is38 and he runs a 5.5

what’d you replace the golf with?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I need to find a scatpack to play with :)

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Right on with your selections except for the coils. Coils won't give you any extra power unless you had a bad coil. A coil only needs to fire the plug.
I should probably clarify that I meant coilovers, not coil packs. Can understand the confusion with my choice of wording lol.