GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consensus 1.8T AT Best Tune for Daily Driver?

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
Is there a consensus "best" ECU tune for the 1.8T AT? Trying to fight the urge to buy a new car right now... Love my Golf as a daily driver but getting a bit bored of it and also annoyed with the transmission wanting to always upshift in drive and the awkward points where the car wants to upshift even in tiptronic and starts stuttering/jerking around if I am too low on the throttle. I figure it is worth the $500 or so gamble as opposed to buying a ~$30k new car (and that is if I'm lucky enough to not get price gouged by dealer markup). Any downsides I should be aware of like resale value or maintenance? I can't help but think my golf was designed for 170hp and adding 50-75hp would add more stress on the car in some places but maybe I'm wrong. I'm at over 7 years on the car & 77k miles so no warranty that I'm worried about (unless I'm forgetting something?).

Also I don't have a laptop (maybe could borrow one or find an old one though) or any OBD cables so idk if I could do a self tune but the nearest tuner is 2 hours away. They support Unitronic, APR, & Integrated Engineering fwiw.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
keep the car , and drive it as intended is my school of thought. not really the most performance oriented of the options out there. 1.8t and traditional auto. there are some options out there. and it really breaks down to price and your budget as to what is the BEST for you.

the engine will perform best with a down pipe stage 1/2 ecu tune and tcu tune. with no real added stress to your components,

that trans is a traditional torque converter transmission. Aisin 09G from what i can find.

unitronic offers a tcu upgrade at the price of 600 (+150$ for the cable)so 750$. < not applicable for that trans.
then you look into down pipe, and ecu tuning.

there are plenty of dsg/manual GTis out there for less than 30k

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/vol...IkDLOS1XYXICBiOmab0aAl0hEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/vol...pX3o66jQH41EE_ZQl04aAjZdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
good luck =)

Last edited:

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Are you sure the TCU tune isn't just for the GTI? Can't find for the 1.8T
hmm lemme look . at quick glance i thought they specified 1.8t golf

Last edited:

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
ahh i see., there may not be an option for that transmission. being how it is a traditional auto.. that link i shared i saw golf 1.8t and assumed it was for your model. now i need to research and find out

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
hmm lemme look . at quick glance i thought they specified 1.8t golf

If you go to the Q&A someone asks if it is available for tiptronic and the response is DSG only and it is not shown on Unitronic's website when I put in my car model.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
looks like no tranny love.. < heh

but in all seriousness, a quick search yielded some interesting findings, the trans seems fine without a tune aside from the quirks,odd shift points characteristics built into it from the factory software. although pushing an auto is not what i would suggest, it seems that even with an is38 these trans are doing just fine.

a down-pipe and is20 turbo and stage 2 tune will definitely wake the car up. even with the auto trans, if you do chose to pursue modding

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/aisin-09g-durability.358444/

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If I were in your position, I would get an APR stage 1 tune. Just a stage 1 tune won't add too much extra stress anywhere, more than that you would want to consider engine mounts, etc. The only added maintenance from it is maybe you want to consider more frequent oil and spark plug changes, but that's really it, aside from more tires lol. There's no transmission tunes for the auto. For resale, I have heard of tons of stories where people bought a tuned car without realizing it, so it should be neutral.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
AQ250 (09G Ansin 6 speed slush in the MK7s) has no tune unless you have an older version from the .. Mk5s I think, might be mk6. Mk7 has no TCU upgrade.

Depending on how much power you want and end goals. There are people running IS38s with APR and Reflect on the automatic 1.8T, JB4 is also a good option as you can always just disconnect it and not have to worry about TD1 if warranty is still valid.

Anything beyond a basic flash tune is going to require Reflect or UM, as the 1.8T MK7 doesn't get much love from tuners. Most tuners have a stage 1 for it, few go beyond that unless you have the 6MT or DSG from the Alltrack/4MO GSW.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'm currently running IE stage 1 on my 6spd Auto 1.8T. Might end up going to APR stage 1 (due to being CARB compliant stage 1 tune, and me living in California) with a JB4 stack and doing either an IS20 or 38 upgrade. That's more again because of Cali and CARB smog that checks for flash tunes and correct HASH now. Only a few tuners offer stage 1 CARB compliant, and no one has anything beyond a stage 1 that is CARB approved at this moment, hence why I'll be using JB4 so I can just easily disconnect when smogging and not have to worry about readiness.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I have a Golf Sportwagen with the 09g auto trans..I've had a JB4 for over three years and a BMS pedal tuner for.about one year.

The 09G in D is looking for great mpg so it's upshifting as quickly as possible. You could shift into S or M if this bothers you. A peddle tuner will also improve throttle response and driveability in D.

The JB4 is a decent bump in power, though you will need to run 91 or 93 gas if you want to run their maps (you can easily switch it off should you fill 87)..Really, it's adequate and entertaining for some spirited street driving. I recently added a front mount intercooler (FMIC) and it's added a little more power. Car feels stronger at higher rpms.

I've thought about flashing as it would bring more power and possibly better fueling for motorsports, but I keep procrastinating as the JB4 meets my needs on the street and I like its flexibility.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just get a st1 tune and start there (APR). No tunes for the auto. $500 well spent. Requires zero else.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
OK, I've personally been through all of this with mine...
First off, the 1.8L is basically the same engine as the GTI with a shorter stroke and VVT only on intake side and not also on exhaust side, it can handle more power, if anything, with a shorter stroke can handle even more torque, you are literally good for anything up to an IS38 with a full 350hp no problem on the stock engine itself...

So the 09G does have very conservative shift points in D and no tune available but you can minimize how sluggish it feels a number of ways. OP, you don't list your state, so I don't know what your emissions testing or what kind of fuel you have available, but you can get a downpipe, catted if you don't want the smell and what I personally believe in, and even if you do have emissions, as long as they don't include visual, just an OBD check, you can pass very easily with a spacer on the O2. That alone without a tune will at least give you better throttle response down low so it doesn't feel as sluggish when it shifts all the way down to like 1100RPM to save engine wear/mileage.

But I'd start with a Neuspeed Power Module or JB1 and that is an instant 40hp/40tq that you can really feel, but yes, you do need to run at least 91, if you have 93 in your area, you can usually even run the more aggressive 100 octane setting on the NPM, or a higher boost setting on JB1 without issue. You could also even do a Stage 1 87 tune from APR. They are able to get really good power out of 87 by cutting the ridiculously high timing advance of the stock tune and pushing even more boost, just be prepared to replace turbo's down the road, which are actually quite reasonable, less than $1000 for parts and labor for a good condition used one, maybe as low as ~$700.

If you don't mind tweaking your own tune, a JB4 has it's own OBD cable and you control it over an app. I could go on and on but people hate long posts, so keep in mind you probably want to do one of those dog bone inserts for ~$25-40 with ANY added power and if going with a full Stage 1 tune you are gonna want lowering springs and wheels/tires too. This car is so modular and similar with a GTI it's easy to add power safely!

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Just get a st1 tune and start there (APR). No tunes for the auto. $500 well spent. Requires zero else.
Stage 1 tunes from any major vendor are indeed amazing... But honestly, it's so much more power that they will want to do a dog bone mount insert, lowering springs and wheels/tires to handle it, as it's more than than stock GTI power... But yeah, technically doesn't require anything else, I'd just hate to see trying to do anything with that power other than freeway pulls without wheel hop, tossing the car around, damaging mounts and all that. If they don't want to do all those supporting mods they should probably stay with a JB1/NPM and see if that's good enough for them.