GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Confused: Golf R First service

domyalex

Hello all,

my '17 Golf R is 6 months old and has so far 4,200 km (2,600 miles) as it is used mostly on weekends; message came up saying that it needs its first oil change.

When I called the dealer, the guy was surprised, and said that I could wait 6 more months. It seems the service is 1yr/15000 km (9k miles) ?

Is it ok to wait this long for the very first service? Why would the car trigger at 6 months then? Would it cause issues with the warranty if I decide to wait? I'm surprised that even the dealer is not in a hurry to charge me for maintenance...

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The service interval you were quoted by the dealer is accurate, per the owner's manual. The service message on our cars will appear 1 year after the car's build date, disregarding the actual mileage and your date of purchase.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SRoads

Ready to race!
The oil has been in your car for a year...regardless of the date a purchase...it should be changed

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The oil has been in your car for a year...regardless of the date a purchase...it should be changed

Synthetic oil does not break down or stratify like conventional oil, so I'm wondering why it needs to be changed on an annual basis. Granted, every car manufacturer has the same 1-year recommendation on synthetic, so who am I to question it?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Synthetic oil does not break down or stratify like conventional oil, so I'm wondering why it needs to be changed on an annual basis. Granted, every car manufacturer has the same 1-year recommendation on synthetic, so who am I to question it?

It has to do with concerns over accumulation of water. Eventually oil can absorb enough moisture from the air that it can cause foaming, which is really bad. If you drive for long periods of time with the oil up to full operating temp, it should evaporate the water out of the oil and keep it from being a concern, but then you'd likely hit the mileage limit before the 1 year mark.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You are probably safe either way. That said, the car was broken in on this original oil and I would change it. I personally would do 8km oil changes if you plan on keeping it long term.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It has to do with concerns over accumulation of water. Eventually oil can absorb enough moisture from the air that it can cause foaming, which is really bad. If you drive for long periods of time with the oil up to full operating temp, it should evaporate the water out of the oil and keep it from being a concern, but then you'd likely hit the mileage limit before the 1 year mark.

Good point. Now that I think of it, we used to get a lot of BMW E46s with moisture in the oil issues, usually in winter.

surfstar

Ready to race!
If you get your car up to operating temp, any water in the oil gets 'boiled' off.

Over a year on the oil is not an issue. Change based on mileage or every two years, or just through your money down the drain and change it early. It is a waste of resources and cash, though. Your engine will not know the difference.