GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Condensation ruining my mornings!

Ottoman

Hi,
I'm having a bit of trouble with condensation - it's getting quite bad in the car at the moment and when it gets cold it eventually freezes on the inside which is quite boring! Have tried a few things to help clear it or at least minimise it. The car does mostly short runs - school/shops etc...which I think isn't helpful...but is there anything I can do in terms of checking for leaks anywhere? Or leaks that are common? Any suggestions other than fully drying out car, running air con etc etc? Thank you in advance...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Crystalline/silica cat litter in a sock. Leave it on the dash And it can absorb moisture.

In terms Of leaks, does your car have a sunroof?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Interior condensation crops up on many car forums at this time of year and some makes and models of car seem to be more susceptible than others. Condensation can just be the result of the difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the car’s cabin as the ambient temperature drops outside or it could indicate signs of a leak.

Keep the interior surface of windows scrupulously clean to reduce condensation build up, and keeping the car’s air con on for its dehumidifying effects can also help. Also, lowering a window slightly during the last mile of the journey helps to equalise the cabin’s interior temperature with the exterior temperature can also help reduce condensation build up, as can using some form of moisture absorbing product such as cat litter as suggested by @uglybastard or a car-specific dehumidifier bag such as a Pingi (other brands are available). Most of the dehumidifier bags can be dried out in the microwave and then reused.

If your excessive condensation is the result of a leak, possible sources of water ingress on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf are;
  • Blocked / waterlogged pollen filter.
  • Cars with sunroof; blocked sunroof drain tubes.
  • Leaking door speaker seals (tends to be the rear door speaker seals).
  • A/C drain tube draining into car interior.
  • Deformed or damaged door / window seals.
The above are likely to result in damp carpets and carpet mats so check for dampness.
  • Tailgate handle drain tube becoming detached from the rubber grommet at the bottom edge of the tailgate. The rubber grommet at the exit point of the tube can perish over time leaving the tube loose to drain into the inside of the tailgate and the water inside the tailgate can then drain into the luggage compartment.
  • Damaged / perished rear light cluster seals.
  • Poor seal around pressure equalisation vents / flaps behind the rear bumper.
If any of the above are the cause of a leak, tale signs will be water on the boot floor and / or in the spare wheel well.
  • Poor seal between tailgate hinges and hinge mounting points above tailgate / hatch opening.
  • Damaged / perished seal between roof mounted aerial and roof panel - check roof lining for water staining.
  • Entry and exit points of the wiring loom from the car into the tailgate above the hatch opening. The rubber sleeving protecting the wiring can become damaged or may have worked loose at the attachment points of the sleeving to the bodywork and tailgate. Check the roof lining above at the back of the car above the luggage compartment for water staining.
The above will normally result in staining to the roof lining, damp rear seat or water in the boot / spare wheel well.

Also, any wet outer clothing, wet footwear and umbrellas that are left in the car at this time of year may cause condensation on the interior windows, so ensure such items are always removed.

Ottoman

Interior condensation crops up on many car forums at this time of year and some makes and models of car seem to be more susceptible than others. Condensation can just be the result of the difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the car’s cabin as the ambient temperature drops outside or it could indicate signs of a leak.

Keep the interior surface of windows scrupulously clean to reduce condensation build up, and keeping the car’s air con on for its dehumidifying effects can also help. Also, lowering a window slightly during the last mile of the journey helps to equalise the cabin’s interior temperature with the exterior temperature can also help reduce condensation build up, as can using some form of moisture absorbing product such as cat litter as suggested by @uglybastard or a car-specific dehumidifier bag such as a Pingi (other brands are available). Most of the dehumidifier bags can be dried out in the microwave and then reused.

If your excessive condensation is the result of a leak, possible sources of water ingress on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf are;
  • Blocked / waterlogged pollen filter.
  • Cars with sunroof; blocked sunroof drain tubes.
  • Leaking door speaker seals (tends to be the rear door speaker seals).
  • A/C drain tube draining into car interior.
  • Deformed or damaged door / window seals.
The above are likely to result in damp carpets and carpet mats so check for dampness.
  • Tailgate handle drain tube becoming detached from the rubber grommet at the bottom edge of the tailgate. The rubber grommet at the exit point of the tube can perish over time leaving the tube loose to drain into the inside of the tailgate and the water inside the tailgate can then drain into the luggage compartment.
  • Damaged / perished rear light cluster seals.
  • Poor seal around pressure equalisation vents / flaps behind the rear bumper.
If any of the above are the cause of a leak, tale signs will be water on the boot floor and / or in the spare wheel well.
  • Poor seal between tailgate hinges and hinge mounting points above tailgate / hatch opening.
  • Damaged / perished seal between roof mounted aerial and roof panel - check roof lining for water staining.
  • Entry and exit points of the wiring loom from the car into the tailgate above the hatch opening. The rubber sleeving protecting the wiring can become damaged or may have worked loose at the attachment points of the sleeving to the bodywork and tailgate. Check the roof lining above at the back of the car above the luggage compartment for water staining.
The above will normally result in staining to the roof lining, damp rear seat or water in the boot / spare wheel well.

Also, any wet outer clothing, wet footwear and umbrellas that are left in the car at this time of year may cause condensation on the interior windows, so ensure such items are always removed.
Sooooo …..it has taken me a while to investigate but I have finally got on with it and have found a fair bit of water round the spare wheel. So I tried my best to go through the points above…it had rained quite heavily today so I had a look round for any damp or perished seals but nothing obvious. Going over the above points -

Tailgate handle - I assume this is the VW badge/handle jobby? I didn’t really know where to look

Rear light cluster seals - are talking the plastic bits round the sides of the rear lights on the body work?

And rear pressure vents - I didn’t know these even existed until today.

Im going to do a bit of searching round on the web but if there was an “idiots guide” handy that would be much appreciated

Thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Sooooo …..it has taken me a while to investigate but I have finally got on with it and have found a fair bit of water round the spare wheel. So I tried my best to go through the points above…it had rained quite heavily today so I had a look round for any damp or perished seals but nothing obvious. Going over the above points -

Tailgate handle - I assume this is the VW badge/handle jobby? I didn’t really know where to look

Rear light cluster seals - are talking the plastic bits round the sides of the rear lights on the body work?

And rear pressure vents - I didn’t know these even existed until today.

Im going to do a bit of searching round on the web but if there was an “idiots guide” handy that would be much appreciated

Thanks

Yes, the tailgate handle is the VW emblem that’s used to open the tailgate.

Rear light cluster seals; these are a separate (foam?) gasket that fits between the light cluster and the bodywork to create a seal; you can see them on the parts diagram at the link below. If this is your issue, then you would need to check that these are the correct parts for your vehicle (VW parts department should be able to confirm the correct parts / part no’s if you give them your car’s VIN).
https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/volkswagen-5g0945192-seal/mpn/5g0945192

You can see a picture of the gasket for the inner section of the rear light cluster in post #9 in the discussion thread at the link below.

Pressure equalisation vents; Post #14 at the link below also includes pictures of the pressure equalisation vents that are located behind the rear bumper in the lower rear quarter panels;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ng-water-hopefully-fixed.389851/#post-7734168

Sorry, I’m not aware of any specific guides on tracing / fixing water ingress issues on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf. However, the forum is a really good place to start as some forum members have had water ingress issues and will have posted details of the issue(s) and fixes. The forum‘s advanced search facility (top right of screen) should help find relevant discussion threads - that’s what I just used to find the thread at the link posted above. YouTube might also be a good source of ‘how to’ guides on tracing and fixing sources of water ingress.

Last edited: